CNC carbon plate for m8n

Reaction score
I watch a lot of modification of GPS ground plate and m8n replacement, and discovered that my 7m GPS has the problem of replacing battery lossing the Sat., it need to wait nearly 10-15 minutes to fly at the clear sky. Finally, I decided to replace and rework the GPS part of solo.

1. DIY a 1.5mm carbon plate for interference isolation.

to be continue.

Attachments

• DSC_0838.JPG
    DSC_0838.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 83
  • DSC_0839.JPG
    DSC_0839.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 86
Reactions: echef
M8n connect with computer ucenter, test the sats, very fast and HDOP 1.0.

Attachments

• DSC_0297.JPG
    DSC_0297.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 95
  • DSC_0296.JPG
    DSC_0296.JPG
    630.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 279b4c62e99fa0.png
    279b4c62e99fa0.png
    6 KB · Views: 88
Great idea. I've got some spare CF laying around. Might have to try this. What thickness are you using? Matte or Gloss?

Tyler

Holy cow.... Eagle, surrounding your apartment's north to east are all hills at 400+ meters high.
Now wonder you have hardtime getting sats lock, if only USA GPS is what M7 can get.
If you take off near the water, the whole apartment block to your north west and north will also block your GPS.
I feel your pain....

If say I interpret the GPS screen you shown, I think the G = GPS, USA and R = Russian
The S I don't know :)

Update us on how your mod goes yah...
Safe flight

That's right, you check my testing place! It's surround by a lot of buildings, i just put it on my little Terrace at lower floor. M8n is amazing!

If say I interpret the GPS screen you shown, I think the G = GPS, USA and R = Russian
The S I don't know :)
... and S = SBAS, E = Galileo
and with that you can get easily up to 22 sats at HDOP < 0.9 with Solo :)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Deleted member 3203
I have make it with original molex plug, plug and play for replacement.

Attachments

• DSC_0853.JPG
    DSC_0853.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 68
  • DSC_0854.JPG
    DSC_0854.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 68
  • DSC_0856.JPG
    DSC_0856.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 65
Reactions: fpvsteve
I guess that would be a warranty issue.. :) But I so want that GPS fixed... A real frustration isn't it!

Oopps, S = SBAS....dang I should have known. Many thanks steve.
The Apps did not use PRN numbers, I think Eagle sky will be covered by Japanese MSAS.
You guys are tempting me to upgrade he he he
Keep the info coming please...thank u

My modification didnt need to cut the wires or remove somethings. Just remove the original 7m and plug on the new m8n, that's easy. It can easily restore to factory original. I order 10 original plug, has 9 left. Means I can make 9 more m8n GPS module for Solo. :) If someone didnt want cut wires modification, PM me to buy.

Attachments

• DSC_0298.JPG
    DSC_0298.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
ublox m8n FW3.01

Attachments

• GNSS-FW3.01_ReleaseNotes_(UBX-16000319)_Public.pdf
    168.5 KB · Views: 24
After charge the m8n gps, there is no waiting time after replace the battery, it can flight immediately.

Before replace battery 13 sats. , after replace the battery 13 sats. immediately lock without wait!

... and S = SBAS, E = Galileo
and with that you can get easily up to 22 sats at HDOP < 0.9 with Solo :)

So many questions!

Which model GPS did you use? I checked the Drotek site and they have numerous versions/sizes/included mags/no mag, etc.

Do these suffer from increased noise reported for cheaper units? I thought I remember a 3DR engineer saying that while you'll get more satellites with an M8N, there will be more noise.

When adding the copper shielding, do you have to ground it to be effective?

While I've never had a glitch or loss of GPS, I sometimes struggle to get more than 6 or 7 satellites before getting some altitude, and feel like taking off with so few is cutting it close. My cheapo M8Ns on smaller quads regularly get 16+, but I don't want to sacrifice signal quality for satellite quantity.

I'm very interested in updating the GPS card.
The only thing I wonder is that if you're in a difficult spot (near a building, under trees, next to a mountain), will it still fly accurately once it has a GPS lock? Or does it drift a lot more that it would with an open sky.

The main reason I want this is to use cable cam in the forest. So I wonder if it would still fly precisely. I know the 7M would lose GPS frequently.

GPS test flight at yesterday. I use attached GPS. The circuit board has LNA low noise amp. and SAW filter. Antenna grounding plate on PCB side does not has any circuit. Also, the signal cable contains EMI protection same as original cable.

My test flight at yesterday using cable cam at 2 points.

Attachments

• DSC_0841.JPG
    DSC_0841.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 33
So many questions!

Which model GPS did you use? I checked the Drotek site and they have numerous versions/sizes/included mags/no mag, etc.

Do these suffer from increased noise reported for cheaper units? I thought I remember a 3DR engineer saying that while you'll get more satellites with an M8N, there will be more noise.

When adding the copper shielding, do you have to ground it to be effective?

While I've never had a glitch or loss of GPS, I sometimes struggle to get more than 6 or 7 satellites before getting some altitude, and feel like taking off with so few is cutting it close. My cheapo M8Ns on smaller quads regularly get 16+, but I don't want to sacrifice signal quality for satellite quantity.
I am using the Drotek m8n w/o compass.
The GPS quality depends on the interplay of all components of the GPS board. A highend Ublox m8n combined with a cheap crappy antenna will likely be worse than the stock gps, even though you have more sats locked.
Yes I grounded my copper shield.
I flew in the meantime about a dozen packs and never experienced any issues.
I never had any issues with the stock GPS either

GPS plug replacement cable and m8n GPS

CNC carbon Fiber plate

Attachments

• DSC_0891.JPG
    DSC_0891.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0302.JPG
    DSC_0302.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0303.JPG
    DSC_0303.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0304.JPG
    DSC_0304.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
New made M8n GPS Test at building's roof top. Only 27 seconds ready to fly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44