mRobotics M8N GPS

Well I figured the stock gps only uses USA gps, nothing wrong with that and I'm getting up to 12 sats. Cool.
The upgrade uses the GLONASS (Russian gps) and has the ability to use the Galileo gps when it's fully up and running.
A greater lock with more sats can only, in my mind, increase the accuracy of the gps. Seeing as I was not having any problems before the upgrade it could only be better. With better accuracy.

I know this drone is so cheap at the moment it's falling off the shelves, but it's still a $1000 drone. With applications only a few other off the shelf drones can supply.

$80 is a small amount of money on my investment.

I love it and it makes me smile so much.

So with all the write ups I have read. I decided to purchase the Mro gps and see for my self.

Hell if there was no difference at least I have a spare gps for when I do the inevitable and smash it to bits lol.

But if anything. It has increased my confidence as everywhere you read or see is relayed to fly offs due to gps dropping.

So I think it's a bit of you pays your money you takes your choice.

I feel happier, and to me that's all that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's like most of the uBlox GPS, you have to tell it to use Galileo. uBlox makes a config tool to do this, and since I got two of the mro gps modules, my brother who is incredibly adept at the configuring part, was able to hook the MRO up to the uBlox config tool and activate the Galileo sats. Maybe tomorrow night we'll be able to get a flight and see what kind of satellite coverage we get, but initial blush (just installing the GPS into the bay and not really buttoning up) we fired up the Solo and after a few minutes instantly got 13 sats in an area that usually barely got 8. If it's anything like the M8N I use on my DIY hex (HolyBro M8N), in an open field I wouldn't be surprised to see 20 sats and an HDOP below 1.

If it's like most of the uBlox GPS, you have to tell it to use Galileo. uBlox makes a config tool to do this, and since I got two of the mro gps modules, my brother who is incredibly adept at the configuring part, was able to hook the MRO up to the uBlox config tool and activate the Galileo sats. Maybe tomorrow night we'll be able to get a flight and see what kind of satellite coverage we get, but initial blush (just installing the GPS into the bay and not really buttoning up) we fired up the Solo and after a few minutes instantly got 13 sats in an area that usually barely got 8. If it's anything like the M8N I use on my DIY hex (HolyBro M8N), in an open field I wouldn't be surprised to see 20 sats and an HDOP below 1.

I think you may be mistaken, I am under the impression the mRo already comes configured to use galileo, no?

Has anyone experienced a GPS lost after upgrading mRobotics M8N GPS or even heard of anyone? It seems like GPS lost is a major concern with the stock board. I am just curious if anyone has had any issues after upgrading or is this as bullet proof as there is?

I am having a good experience with stock board. 10 to 12 satellites locking in minutes. I haven't flown in anything but wide open areas and have kept it close and low as I learn to fly in GPS and manual mode.

Last edited:
FYI I tested the MAV serial passthru in Mission Planner to the mRO gps, and it works perfectly with uCenter :)

Might have to try that sometime but instead my brother just crafted a cable from an old clickmate cable and an FTDI breakout board. Worked fine.

Might have to try that sometime but instead my brother just crafted a cable from an old clickmate cable and an FTDI breakout board. Worked fine.
Just to follow up, I'm still planning on playing with u center, but I contacted mRo and they stated that:

"The mRo m8n is set here at the factory to receive the Galileo constellation. When you receive the gps it is plug n play, however we do recommend that you perform a level and compass calibration."

Reactions: SARDG
Wonder if it turns
Just to follow up, I'm still planning on playing with u center, but I contacted mRo and they stated that:

"The mRo m8n is set here at the factory to receive the Galileo constellation. When you receive the gps it is plug n play, however we do recommend that you perform a level and compass calibration."

Wonder if it turns on when flying. All I know is the flag in the config software for the Gallileo sats was NOT checked when we looked last night.

Has anyone experienced a GPS lost after upgrading mRobotics M8N GPS or even heard of anyone? It seems like GPS lost is a major concern with the stock board. I am just curious if anyone has had any issues after upgrading or is this as bullet proof as there is?

I am having a good experience with stock board. 10 to 12 satellites locking in minutes. I haven't flown in anything but wide open areas and have kept it close and low as I learn to fly in GPS and manual mode.

The only documented instance of reduced GPS performance using the mRo m8n involved flight under water during a significant Aurora Borealis event.

I made that up.

It is well documented in this forum that the mRo m8n is considered the superior plug and play replacement to stock. Under most circumstances, you can expect far superior performance, and it is resoundingly consider a superior design. But it is not magic, you can not fly a GPS based flight mode under water and a solar storm will impact all types of gps. You probably won't be able to fly a GPS flight mode in a tunnel or Faraday cage.

I have yet to come across a documented instance of somebody returning to stock after the mRo m8n upgrade.

Last edited:
My brother did some research regarding the M8N and other manufacturers of 'cheaper' GPS units and found that many of them were knockoffs and not really worth anything. He found out the hard way I think by buying some of the knockoffs. The Holybro is NOT a knockoff and obviously neither is the mRo. The Holybro that he and I have on our DIY rigs we purchased from GetFPV for about 50 dollars US. I was informed by him he found out just cost on these chips is about 35 dollars US, so anyone selling you a M8N for less than that I'd be leery of.

I got my mRo m8n board and upgraded my solo and couldn't be happier. I highly recommend this upgrade to all the SOLO owner. At the same time, I think we should support these vendors to continue to innovate for our drone, now that 3dr is basically out of the picture for solo.

Reactions: speatuk
it's the cost of $80... considering the drone only cost $300 one mod that cost almost 30% hurts ;)

Sid, you are thinking about this all wrong. The Solo is a $1000+ drone you happened to get for $300, so the $80 GPS upgrade is less than 10% the value of the vehicle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a note, I installed one of MRO's "isolator boards" on my Solo. It connects in series between the GPS, and the main board. Only did one test flight yesterday. It took a few minutes to find sats, like it was strarting from scratch again. And I am surrounded by tall trees. Once I got up in the air, I had 14 sats. My gps lock came and went, when I flew under the tree cover, as usual. More testing today or tomorrow. The isolator board does not come with the needed cable, so if your interested, I'd give them a phone call. I did, and Ben was very helpful, and I like supporting these Guys.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +1 (619) 503-1003

it's the cost of $80... considering the drone only cost $300 one mod that cost almost 30% hurts ;)
Let me put it that way.. if the 299 solo to you is nothing but just a cheap drone and if it crash, it crash and you will just move on and look for another drone, then you are right, the 80 dollar seems a bit silly.

To some of us, it's amaze that the solo is at its current price point. Those who spent 80 dollar for a better/more reliable GPS board don't see solo as a cheap drone but in fact, see solo as it was originally design for, which is a platform which allow us to continue adding functionality to it.

Paying the 80 dollar for the board not only get you a reliable GPS module which I'd argue, more steady smart shots, lower chance of losing your drone due to GPS signal lost, and continue to support the vendor who develop product for the solo platform.

Alright, need a little help! I did the ublox gps mod per the utube video. Everything went great until I put it all back together and fired it up. Now I get an alarm (link to recording attached) after the intial bootup which just goes on forever. I tried hard resetting the solo - which reinstalled the latest firmware - to no avail. I checked continuity of the four connections and everything is fine.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjH3WMUNyRQFbvYsSzuOGaKgavc
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjH3WMUNyRQFbvYsSzuOGaKgavc

Any thoughts?

You messed up the cable or connector, you're shorting the ground plane are probably the two first things I'd check. Inspect your cable, ensure its connected well on both ends, try the gps without the ground shield, test your old gps to see if it's the cable.

Does the gps light up?

If you have more issues post under the Solo Help topic, not here. We can troubleshoot it there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421