Charging Solo batteries to storage level??

No. I'm going by what other experts here have said and shown. There is a consensus on that though. The 3DR "charger" is nothing more than a 16.8v 3.3 amp switching power supply. It does literally nothing but supply 16.8v at a maximum of 3.3 amps.
Agreed. Just a power supply and the battery regulates current and shuts off the input at full charge. My LiPo charger sounds the alarm and displays 'Check Connection' when the battery closes the connection at full charge.

What's up guys. Having some trouble with discharging to storage levels with my balance Chargers.

I've made an adapter with an XT60 connector for my chargers. When plugging up an attempting a Storage Cycle or a Discharge cycle, i get a connection break or cell error. This is clearly due to the absence of a balance plug.

How are folks Getting around this? Particular settings?

I have a Hitec and a Hobby King knock off of the X200 by imax.

Any insight is appreciated.

Did you turn the battery on? Some aftermarket chargers need that in order to detect the battery. No, it has nothing to do with lack of balance plugs - those are inside the battery and balance just fine by supplying only power. Make sure you are using a lipo only charge/discharge mode and not a balance mode.

Did I turn the battery on.....

These fancy lipos, I tell ya.

That sure did it. Thanks Steve. You've done your mitzvah for the day.

I don't often get to fly more than once a week, and more often once every 2-3 weeks. I often charge them after I return from a flight so they are ready when I am. In a week they are down about 2 lights-whatever percentage that is. I'll top them off the night before I go out. Reading these threads I see what to do to put them in storage mode at about 50%. Does that mean I have to keep checking them if there will be an extended storage time and keep topping them up if they get below the 50%? How do our winter friends do it when they go weeks or months not being able to fly? I think the next upgrade 3DR should work on is creating nuclear fuel cells so we don't have to mess with lipos. (I put a smiley face but it doesn't show-just in case the serious minded out there don't know I'm kidding)
:)

If you decide to use that LiPo charger to recharge the battery, you also need to turn the battery on first. And you'd need to use LiPo charge, not LiPo balance mode. When fully charged, the battery shuts itself off, which the LiPo charger will get pissed off about and sound the connection break alarm.

So I've been reading this thread and still trying to work out what I need to be able to charge and discharge my batteries to storage level.

I'm ok with using the Solo charger to charge them to full for flight but need something better to charge them for storage. So far to charge to storage I sit and wait watching the charger and when it gets half way it disconnect, it's like watching paint dry.

Can you also tell the charger what percentage to charge to for storage? How can I tell it 30% for travel under the new IATA rules?

I would be happy to be able to just connect one battery at a time, but if there is a charger for a good price that can do multiple batteries I'll consider it. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I've been reading this thread and still trying to work out what I need to be able to charge and discharge my batteries to storage level.

I'm ok with using the Solo charger to charge them to full for flight but need something better to charge them for storage. So far to charge to storage I sit and wait watching the charger and when it gets half way it disconnect, it's like watching paint dry.

Can you also tell the charger what percentage to charge to for storage? How can I tell it 30% for travel under the new IATA rules?

I would be happy to be able to just connect one battery at a time, but if there is a charger for a good price that can do multiple batteries I'll consider it. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Readymaderc carries the Hi-Tec Eighty-Four LiPo charger, which I use and love. It is a DC only input charger, and will charge up to 4 batteries at 80 watts each. You will need a DC power supply also, but at $129 it is a great solution. Readymaderc also carries the Hi-Tec AC/DC version but it is $80 more (and the DC power supply from Hobby King is only ~$35). Sorry no link but easy to find at www.readymaderc.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig