Charging Solo batteries to storage level??

I just ordered 6 of the Molex Ten60 connectors so I can make some Solo-to-XT60 pigtails. Then I can plug all my solo batteries into a parallel charging board and charge them all at once. Or discharge to storage. Or anything else.

Phil, What's the highest rate you've been able to charge these batteries at? Do the smart batteries self-limit themselves to a certain rate, or will they take whatever you can give them.

Phil, What's the highest rate you've been able to charge these batteries at? Do the smart batteries self-limit themselves to a certain rate, or will they take whatever you can give them.

The highest it will take is 5.2 amps, 1c I believe. I can go to 6 amps on the charger but it never takes more than 5.2 amps. So a 80 watts single or 320 watts quad charger is all you need.

Charging time is almost half and it alarms to tell you it's done. And of course it does a storage charge as well.

What connectors did you use there @divemasterphil ? Do you have a web link for them?

It's the factory plug off the 3dr charger, I cut if off and added xt60 connectors to it so I can still use either charger. You could use any connector like EC3 or Dean's.

Reactions: Coastwise
The highest it will take is 5.2amps, 1c I believe. I can go to 6 amps on the charger but it never takes more than 5.2 amps. So a 80 watts single or 320 watts quad charger is all you need. Charging time is almost half and it alarms to tell you it's done. And of course it does a storage charge as well.

Excellent. I was worried it would take whatever you throw at it and could overheat if you allow it too much. I could charge 6 solo batteries at once with the power supply and charger I have. I can also run the charger off a car battery or lighter plug since it will step the voltage up as needed. I think I'll be using the the provided little 3DR charger very little if ever.

The highest it will take is 5.2 amps, 1c I believe. I can go to 6 amps on the charger but it never takes more than 5.2 amps. So a 80 watts single or 320 watts quad charger is all you need.

Charging time is almost half and it alarms to tell you it's done. And of course it does a storage charge as well.

It's the factory plug off the 3dr charger, I cut if off and added xt60 connectors to it so I can still use either charger. You could use any connector like EC3 or Dean's.
So you say charging time is about 1/2 the regular time with the 3DR charger, what settings are you using on the Lipo charger. I need to do something like this, it takes over 6 hours to charge 4 batteries :( on a psitive note, I think my Turnigy Accucell 6 has polarity protection and will alarm if hooked up backwards.

Excellent. I was worried it would take whatever you throw at it and could overheat if you allow it too much. I could charge 6 solo batteries at once with the power supply and charger I have. I can also run the charger off a car battery or lighter plug since it will step the voltage up as needed. I think I'll be using the the provided little 3DR charger very little if ever.
Same here :) My 600 watt 12v power supply just got here :) Got it extra beefy in case the rumors are true and they come out with a higher capacity pack. It will run off 120/240v AC, as well as 12v DC car battery without needing an inverter. I'm just working on the 3d printed housing now that mimics the battery tray in the Solo so I can just slide the batteries into the charger instead of having to plug them in. I'm lazy lol.

I have a second 3dr charger I'll be doing the same mode to it and getting another 80w Lipo charger. I too can't see using the original charger much either. I've got three batteries.

This thing is also AC/DC. $56 shipped.

Thunder AC680 Professional Dual-Power LiPo Balance Charger/Discharger w/ AC Adapter for 1-6 Lipo/ 1-15 Nimh + USB to PC Software

What type of power supply/charger you going to use?

Same here :) My 600 watt 12v power supply just got here :) Got it extra beefy in case the rumors are true and they come out with a higher capacity pack. It will run off 120/240v AC, as well as 12v DC car battery without needing an inverter. I'm just working on the 3d printed housing now that mimics the battery tray in the Solo so I can just slide the batteries into the charger instead of having to plug them in. I'm lazy lol.

You'll have to market those trays!

You can only use charge and storage for Lipo 4s, not balanced. The Accucell is a 50w charger so you will not gain much time if any.

I use to use the modded 120v plug

Mod Plus.jpg

So you say charging time is about 1/2 the regular time with the 3DR charger, what settings are you using on the Lipo charger. I need to do something like this, it takes over 6 hours to charge 4 batteries :( on a psitive note, I think my Turnigy Accucell 6 has polarity protection and will alarm if hooked up backwards.

Last edited:
I have a 500 watt 16.8v power supply (30 amps, it's a beast). Since the solo batteries have the charge controller built in, you could just connect the batteries directly to the power supply and they'll charge at 5.2 amps all by themselves. You could hook 6 of them up to this power supply and charge them all at max rate, empty to full in probably less than an hour.

My LiPo charger can do 20 amps at 16.8 volts as well. It's not really needed since as mentioned above, the smart batteries do all the smart regulating themselves. But, I can use the LiPo charger in the Jeep since it will step the voltage up from 12 to 16.8.

Both the power supply and LiPo charger are hobby king, but I will look up the products when I get home.

That $5 switching brick that 3DR sells as a charger certainly isn't doing CC/CV. And from what I've read, the smart batteries shut themselves off when fully charged. All the charging regulation and balancing is done by the battery's built in controller.

I have a 500 watt 16.8v power supply (30 amps, it's a beast). Since the solo batteries have the charge controller built in, you could just connect the batteries directly to the power supply and they'll charge at 5.2 amps all by themselves. You could hook 6 of them up to this power supply and charge them all at max rate, empty to full in probably less than an hour.

My LiPo charger can do 20 amps at 16.8 volts as well. It's not really needed since as mentioned above, the smart batteries do all the smart regulating themselves. But, I can use the LiPo charger in the Jeep since it will step the voltage up from 12 to 16.8.

Both the power supply and LiPo charger are hobby king, but I will look up the products when I get home.
Have you actually hooked a Solo battery directly to your power supply? I would be interested to know how it works out.

There seems to be no consensus on whether Solo needs a "charger" or just a "power supply".

Does anybody have definitive information that would settle this?

No. I'm going by what other experts here have said and shown. There is a consensus on that though. The 3DR "charger" is nothing more than a 16.8v 3.3 amp switching power supply. It does literally nothing but supply 16.8v at a maximum of 3.3 amps.

Reactions: Maddog and Jubalr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig