Certified Refurbished Solo's $199

Hey, it looks like that deal is bs, which is what I thought. It's funny you say that because I'd rather spend $60 for a new unit than buy a used one! Hahaha! I understand that 3DR will cover it but I'd rather avoid that hassle if I could. I used to work for Best Buy and I've seen them literally take returned items and repackage them for sale without so much as an operation check.

Re the $150 Amazon deal, if you look now those dealers are off the Amazon list. Clearly BS/scam.

As to "refurbished," it can mean anything. Any retailer can take a used item, clean it up and re-sell it as "refurbished." Buying refurbished from 3DR likely means you will get a Solo that's been function-checked, parts replaced, and cleaned up for re-sale, plus warranty. From Best Buy, they are probably returns that are looked over and re-packaged (because they don't have access to 3DR parts), BUT, if they provide some form of warranty they may have a degree of reliability. After all, we know Best Buy will be around longer than 3DR, although I don't know what kind of warranty they provide with these "refurbished" Solos.

I actually bought one of these Best Buy refurbs, along with a new gimbal to go with it.
When they arrived, the new gimbal was missing parts, but the drone was 100 percent perfect in appearance. It really looked like it had never been unboxed.
I set the gimbal aside, and decided to fly the drone. I've got a friend who has a Solo, so we went through the full checklist and set everything up right.

I hit the button, and the motors spun up...everything looked great until I hit "fly". It launched and basically went nuts. it was like it couldn't keep a GPS lock, and it refused to come to home. I finally got it to the ground, and then it wouldn't shut off. Before it could take off again, we managed to get the power switched off.

We ran through the entire setup again, and tried again. This time, the front props spun up, and the back ones stayed at idle speed, so the drone basically did a backflip and landed upside down on the pavement. With the front props still trying to launch it, it was tough to catch-it was skittering all over the parking lot. Once we did, we realized it had more problems than we could deal with.

I started by contacting 3DR. Unlike what some folks have posted, they said that they would be happy to take a look at the flight logs, and that they actually had seen pretty good results from the Geek Squad refurbs-at least that's what I was told in the email I received. However they noted that it would be a good 3 weeks before they could look at the flight logs, so I decided to just return the drone.

I took it back to my local store, showed them the video we'd shot of what it did, and they took the whole thing back.

Looking today, I see the drone and gimbal with the backpack are on sale for 199 for both pieces, so I may have to try again.

Looking today, I see the drone and gimbal with the backpack are on sale for 199 for both pieces, so I may have to try again.

I checked on line this morning and although that deal is still displaying, it's only available for store pickup, and none of the zip codes I entered have it available within 250 miles.

Received my best buy package deal today. Aside from having to do a level calibration everything was good. Test flight went well. The drone looked unused and still had stickers on the motors. I'm two for two on best buy refurbs so far. Only problem is I now have three drones-ha. Tony

Received my best buy package deal today. Aside from having to do a level calibration everything was good. Test flight went well. The drone looked unused and still had stickers on the motors. I'm two for two on best buy refurbs so far. Only problem is I now have three drones-ha. Tony

Are they still $185?

Reactions: RDA

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig