Certified Refurbished Solo's $199

I haven't looked to see if anyone has posted this, but Best Buy has certified refurbished SOLO units for $199. I can't find them locally, but they will do free shipping to you.

3DR - Geek Squad Certified Refurbished Solo Drone - Black

I'd read the reviews if I were you.... I think there's a difference between 3DR returns and Geek Squad units. Almost every review states they received a used drone. I just got a refurb from 3DR and it was basically brand new.

Reactions: speatuk
I'd read the reviews if I were you.... I think there's a difference between 3DR returns and Geek Squad units. Almost every review states they received a used drone. I just got a refurb from 3DR and it was basically brand new.
I hate to say this, but refurb drones are used. They are not new. I'd easily take a chance at $200. You're protected by BB

Really? Na uh! Yea I know that but there's a difference between used and refurbished.

Used- someone bought it, tried it out, didn't like it/had a problem and returned it. I've read reviews that people say they were damaged, worn, dirty, or had passwords/wifi changed. I've returned 3 Solos to Best Buy, all of them had problems. Hopefully they didn't sell them to someone else.

Refurbished- someone bought it, had a problem, it was sent back to 3DR. They went over it, replaced whatever was defective, tested all of the systems. Packaged it with new accessories, packaging, etc. I've received one of these units and it looked, for all purposes, brand new. No scratches, no wear, empty flight logs, completely reset and wiped.

I'm not sure what "Geek Squad certified" means but I doubt that it comes in a sealed box from 3DR with everything wrapped and set up like new. Heck, it even had the plastic protectors on the leds.

Reactions: TheSleuthySloth
I've had numerous conversations with 3DR reps and they said that any Best Buy Geek Squad refurbished purchased item has full warranty, just like it was bought new from BB or 3DR. For $199, its worth buying as a back up for sure. battery, $50. Spare Controller, $50. 4 Spare motor pods, $120 (4x$30 ea.). Spare airframe, $50. 1 year warranty, PRICELESS!! (Especially since I bought a 6th Avenue bundle with gimbal and backpack for $349 a month ago)

I've had numerous conversations with 3DR reps and they said that any Best Buy Geek Squad refurbished purchased item has full warranty, just like it was bought new from BB or 3DR. For $199, its worth buying as a back up for sure. battery, $50. Spare Controller, $50. 4 Spare motor pods, $120 (4x$30 ea.). Spare airframe, $50. 1 year warranty, PRICELESS!! (Especially since I bought a 6th Avenue bundle with gimbal and backpack for $349 a month ago)

Can't disagree on price. I just think that the refurbs from 3DR are better due to my personal experience and the reviews I've seen. Besides, with some retailers selling them brand new for supposedly $150 shipped and for certain for $260 shipped, I'm not sure why anyone would bother with used or refurbs.

Because when you buy it from those other retailers, and you have an issue, you are screwed. 3DR wont even talk to you. I know someone that bought the same backpack/gimbal bundle as I did from 6th Ave, and had a defective battery right out of the box, and 3 DR didn't do anything to help. Entire bundle had to be returned and purchase another (Price increased to $424.99) plus got charged 10% re-stocking fee, essentially costing him an extra $105. In hindsight, he would have been better off just buying two new batteries, and for approximately the same price, would have had a new kit with 2 batteries. If that was a defective unit from Best Buy, NEW or REFURB, 3DR would have sent another battery, no questions asked, and it would have all been avoided.

BTW, show me a "NEW" Solo for $150 from a reputable seller, and I'd probably buy it today.

Because when you buy it from those other retailers, and you have an issue, you are screwed. 3DR wont even talk to you. I know someone that bought the same backpack/gimbal bundle as I did from 6th Ave, and had a defective battery right out of the box, and 3 DR didn't do anything to help. Entire bundle had to be returned and purchase another (Price increased to $424.99) plus got charged 10% re-stocking fee, essentially costing him an extra $105. In hindsight, he would have been better off just buying two new batteries, and for approximately the same price, would have had a new kit with 2 batteries. If that was a defective unit from Best Buy, NEW or REFURB, 3DR would have sent another battery, no questions asked, and it would have all been avoided.

BTW, show me a "NEW" Solo for $150 from a reputable seller, and I'd probably buy it today.

That's still in question on another thread. Again, "supposedly" you can buy a Solo for $137.50+$12.50 shipping on Amazon. As of a few days ago it was still up on Amazon. I haven't heard if it's legit yet or not.

To each their own but I believe B&H is reputable and they sell with a gimbal for $300 shipped. Heck, they had a bundle with the GP Hero 4 Black for $538 shipped. Everything brand new in the box. Which bothered me considering 3DR stopped replacing GoPros citing they were no longer available months ago.

Yeah, maybe its just me, but I'd rather spend an extra $50 for a unit from a reputable dealer, with full warranty, and knowing that I'm gonna get it, as opposed to a "Newly Added Seller" on Amazon, and then I'm screwed if something ever happens to it. Sometimes the best price isn't really the best deal, ya know?

Yeah, maybe its just me, but I'd rather spend an extra $50 for a unit from a reputable dealer, with full warranty, and knowing that I'm gonna get it, as opposed to a "Newly Added Seller" on Amazon, and then I'm screwed if something ever happens to it. Sometimes the best price isn't really the best deal, ya know?

Hey, it looks like that deal is bs, which is what I thought. It's funny you say that because I'd rather spend $60 for a new unit than buy a used one! Hahaha! I understand that 3DR will cover it but I'd rather avoid that hassle if I could. I used to work for Best Buy and I've seen them literally take returned items and repackage them for sale without so much as an operation check.

Hey, it looks like that deal is bs, which is what I thought. It's funny you say that because I'd rather spend $60 for a new unit than buy a used one! Hahaha! I understand that 3DR will cover it but I'd rather avoid that hassle if I could. I used to work for Best Buy and I've seen them literally take returned items and repackage them for sale without so much as an operation check.

I agree, BUT, if you buy a New one from Amazon for $260, you don't get warranty. It's only applicable when purchased from "authorized retailers"

FYI, I have a buddy that bought a refurb from BB, and out of the box, it looked better than my New one. It seemed to fly great, and considering he didn't have a camera on it, or the SOLO App even installed on his tablet, it flew perfectly by line of sight.

I guess we have different opinions on this, but I do know this; The BB refurbs are the cheapest way to buy a bundle, and still get a warranty, which is worth it for some people, including me.

I agree, BUT, if you buy a New one from Amazon for $260, you don't get warranty. It's only applicable when purchased from "authorized retailers"

FYI, I have a buddy that bought a refurb from BB, and out of the box, it looked better than my New one. It seemed to fly great, and considering he didn't have a camera on it, or the SOLO App even installed on his tablet, it flew perfectly by line of sight.

I guess we have different opinions on this, but I do know this; The BB refurbs are the cheapest way to buy a bundle, and still get a warranty, which is worth it for some people, including me.

Oh I'm not talking about Amazon, B&H, a recognized retailer btw, sells the Solo for $260 brand new, shipped. In fact, they have more Solo parts and accessories than anyone else in my experience. I've purchased legs, batteries, props, the mobile device holder (mine broke), an actual 3DR Sun Shield, a Solo bundle including a GPH4B, a spare gimbal, 3DR leg extenders ($2 btw), an extended controller battery, a second main battery charger, and a few other non Solo related items. Been happy with them so far.

I agree it's the cheapest but "the best price isn't always the best deal". At $300 with the gimbal, you're only about $50 away from the refurb ($200) plus the gimbal ($50) and B&H doesn't charge tax unless you're in New York or New Jersey. So nah, nah, nah! Hahaha!

Last edited:

I bought 2 from Amazon 2 says ago. It showed shipped. Just got a refund email from Amazon today. Fraud merchant! Would have been good to receive legit products at $150 shipped!!

I bought 2 from Amazon 2 says ago. It showed shipped. Just got a refund email from Amazon today. Fraud merchant! Would have been good to receive legit products at $150 shipped!!

Yea that's too bad... I use Amazon a lot but I always buy prime so I've haven't had any problems.

Yea but from what I saw, that wasn't an Amazon Prime item. I only buy stuff sold (or fulfilled) by Amazon that ships prime.

Oh ok I understand what you mean now. Probably a good idea!

My BB "refurb" works great.

Its most certainly a returned item, repackaged and resold. Note. This one doesn't come with the Gimbal just in case anyone was curious. 1 battery, 1 controller, set of props and solo.

Great for me since I crashed my old one at about 50mph into a tree. Still flies great but something happened to the live feed.

Doesn't do well flying really fast in drift mode without losing altitude for those interested(how I crashed mine) Don't fly it like you would in regular fly mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig