Camera options

Reaction score
Greetings from Northern Virginia,

I am finally taking the plunge and ready to purchase an aerial camera platform. With the recent price dropping on Amazon I am really interested in the Solo. I do not have a GoPro, but I have a Firefly 6s. I was wondering can I use that camera and still receive video feed from the Solo? I know I can't change the camera settings from the quad, but that isn't important to me. But video feed is a must. If I need to purchase a GoPro, then alas, the price of the Solo will be cost prohibitive.

Thanks for the answer in advance and happy flying.

Rich

12 months ago, i was saying the same thing, but decided to buy it all Solo+Hero 4B+Gimbal Paid $1899 & your complaining about it not being cost effective LOL...
Even though i paid what i did, I still feel i got my moneys worth, Maybe that should give you a hint to buy it or not.
$599+ used GP H4B $225 to $300. You got way under 1K invested & can turn you into a GREAT videographer or just fun way to enjoy your investment.
Your choice.

I understand your statement; however, when I meant cost prohibitive, I mean once I add even a used GP 4 it is in the realm of a Phantom 2 pro. If I could use my current camera, then purchasing the Solo makes sense from a financial perspective. However if it is required to have a GP for the sake of live view, then is a no go on a product. Coupled with the facts the company seems to have soured over timed and leads one to measure if they will be here tomorrow

Greetings from Northern Virginia,

I am finally taking the plunge and ready to purchase an aerial camera platform. With the recent price dropping on Amazon I am really interested in the Solo. I do not have a GoPro, but I have a Firefly 6s. I was wondering can I use that camera and still receive video feed from the Solo? I know I can't change the camera settings from the quad, but that isn't important to me. But video feed is a must. If I need to purchase a GoPro, then alas, the price of the Solo will be cost prohibitive.

Thanks for the answer in advance and happy flying.

Rich

Rich,

As far as I know...any camera with an HDMI-OUT will work.

--

Bill

You can get the video feed thru the HDMI connection, but you can't control the camera, ie start&stop video. The camera doesn't fit very well in the gimbal. Also the lag is very bad.

You can get the video feed thru the HDMI connection, but you can't control the camera, ie start&stop video. The camera doesn't fit very well in the gimbal. Also the lag is very bad.

yt lee,

What do you mean by "lag"?

Thanks...

--

Bill

He means the 1/5 to 1/2 second delay between what the camera records and you seeing it on your tablet over the wifi. That doesn't really matter unless you are fly with goggles.

Steve...

OK...thanks...but just to be clear...does "yt lee" mean that using a camera OTHER THAN A GOPRO (re: the OP's original question) will have more lag than a GoPro? I don't see that happening, hence my question to "yt lee".

Thanks...

--

Bill

The lag is in the wifi transmission, not the camera. It's the same lag no matter what camera you are using. If you were transmitting 5Ghz wifi instead of 2.4, the lag would be a lot less, but 5Ghz has more signal penetration issues (like through obstacles) that 2.4 has less of.

The lag is in the wifi transmission, not the camera. It's the same lag no matter what camera you are using. If you were transmitting 5Ghz wifi instead of 2.4, the lag would be a lot less, but 5Ghz has more signal penetration issues (like through obstacles) that 2.4 has less of.
Are you sure about this? I would have thought the lag comes from encoding/decoding not the transmission itself. I can't think of something in the actual transmission causing such a big lag.

Hello from Germany. Sorry for just adding a question, that maybe fit better to another thread. I like to know, if my cam ( a wimius q1 4k action cam) will fit to the hdmi-connector of the gimble. Seems to be turned 180• compared to that of the gopro and it's not at exact the same position...
Greetings

Last edited:
Yt Lee, is your comment in general about cameras with the Solo or do you have confirmation that a Firefly 6S actually works this the Solo's video feed?
I have a Firefly 6S and the Solo's video feed does not work for me.

Yt Lee, is your comment in general about cameras with the Solo or do you have confirmation that a Firefly 6S actually works this the Solo's video feed?
I have a Firefly 6S and the Solo's video feed does not work for me.

I have the 6s too. It works for me as video feed. Make sure you plug in good.
I

I have the 6s too. It works for me as video feed. Make sure you plug in good.
I
Yes, I plugged it in good. Thanks for that confirmation.
So now I knowthere must be something wrong with my 6S hdmi output.
The odd thing is that I tested the output on my TV and it works.
There must be a "partial" malfunction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44