Bestbuy deal 299.00

Not a happy camper here!! Just bought mine two weeks ago and it was $349.99 for the package deal. Gimbal, props, spare battery, and Solo. Time to see if they will give me $50 back or throw in the backpack for the price I paid.
I called them and they gave me $50 back

Hi all, trying to step up my game from Syma and similar stuff to the next level. Bought a Phantom 3 Standard on black Friday for $369 then I saw the Best Buy deal for Phantom 3 Professional for $699 and decided to go for it. I returned the Standard and I have the Professional with me now.

Though, new prices for 3DR is really tempting. What should I do? I have access to a GoPro 4 so I can use it with the drone for aerial shots but 3DR not supporting consumer level devices anymore is really concerning me.

In the event that I lose the quad by either a flyaway or something similar (I fly really careful always in visible sight, rural areas wide open with little to no urban interference) I'll lose $300 compared to $700.
I personally think the 3DR Solo is nearly just as advanced as the Phantom 3, just remember though if you don't have a GoPro you are going to have to throw in $300 more.

...just remember though if you don't have a GoPro you are going to have to throw in $300 more.
I prefer that over a dedicated drone camera as I use the GoPros on my bicycle, on my boat, and in my vehicle. Also just used one for a time-lapse of some construction at my home.

Just so people know, if you get the $299 combo with backpack that doesn't come with the extra battery, they're shipping out the Solo with the preinstalled gimbal so that's one way to ensure you get one with a Rev B GPS.

OK, so I finally got it out on my first flight. I have a pair of 2.4 GHz flat panel antennas and I still only got 1000 feet before it lost signal and came back. I've read many pages of posts and can't tell whether the Wi Fi board upgrade helps or whether the software limits the output anyway. Any suggestions on extending the range would be appreciated based on your experience.

Also, the RTH altitude was set very low and I almost lost it in the treetops. I caught it just in time and got it back safely. Just a head's up to the other recent BB buyers out there that live near trees to increase your Return to Home altitude.

I also opened it up to see what GPS board I had. It is the "B" board. I am not sure why but after I put everything back together, I could get 7 satellites in my house. Didn't seem that sensitive before. Not sure if the foil was positioned differently before I put it back together.

OK, so I finally got it out on my first flight. I have a pair of 2.4 GHz flat panel antennas and I still only got 1000 feet before it lost signal and came back. I've read many pages of posts and can't tell whether the Wi Fi board upgrade helps or whether the software limits the output anyway. Any suggestions on extending the range would be appreciated based on your experience.

Also, the RTH altitude was set very low and I almost lost it in the treetops. I caught it just in time and got it back safely. Just a head's up to the other recent BB buyers out there that live near trees to increase your Return to Home altitude.

I'm using Alfa antennas. Make sure you point the labels on the antennas outward towards the Solo.

Something else to be aware of is make sure you ordered antennas with RP-SMA connectors. If you purchased SMA the center pin is missing and will not make contact. Thus, loss of signal. My Solo with Alfas went 3600 feet at 45 feet high before it was hitting the signal limit.
I think the RTH default height is 75 feet.

The high power wifi boards are 800mw, the stock are 500mw. Yes, it will give you better range. In the world of RF, the antenna will make or break the signal. I regularly work ham radio contacts across the country using less than ten watts. I've worked some stations on the other side of the world on less than 5watts. It has everything to do with signal conditions and antennas.

IMO the best option if you don't have a gopro is a refurbished unit.. I recently saw a deal with the hero3silver for $117 but I chose to buy a used hero4 black from ebay @ $199. Case had a couple scratches but I'm not using it anyway.

It's tricky but a gopro knockoff will fit the gimball if you're willing to give up control. If you buy a knockoff make sure..
It has microhdmi and it faces the right direction in the gimbal.

You're going to have to make a block to put between the camera and gimbal back so its not resting on the gopro plug.

If you have no plans on purchasing a gopro consider removing the gopro plug from the gimbal to allow better fitment.

I got the best buy combo of the Solo, gimble, extra battery and set of props for $299. Then bought the backpack for $69. Pretty awesome deal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44