Best Tablet for use?

Reaction score
First off I do love my 3DR solo even though i dont have as much time to use as i would like (with work and all)

But I bought some range extenders so il fly further
but my question is

What would be the best tablet to use??
My current tablet is a nvidia shield
But with the 2 drones i own I want to get a faster tablet and or better compatibility for flying and stuff so i can fly with 0 delay on the screen
I dont want to use my phone as screen size is 2 small then
I am curious if anyone has recommendations
(other drone is a DJI phantom 3 adv so if it comparability for both is great and recommended)

If you're looking for zero latency on the video feed, a different tablet really isn't going to make much of a difference. If you're seeing lag in the app, then sure, something else might work better but I wouldn't be looking for a new one if video latency is your biggest beef with your current tablet, although, I'm curious, how much lag are you seeing?

If you're looking for zero latency on the video feed, a different tablet really isn't going to make much of a difference. If you're seeing lag in the app, then sure, something else might work better but I wouldn't be looking for a new one if video latency is your biggest beef with your current tablet, although, I'm curious, how much lag are you seeing?
Well i reported about this with my dji
I used a nexus 7 (idk which) and it was 5seconds to 15 in between what the drone did compared to what i saw

Well i reported about this with my dji
I used a nexus 7 (idk which) and it was 5seconds to 15 in between what the drone did compared to what i saw
That is some seriously extreme delay - I can't imagine how it could even be possible. Did you actually time anything ?
I've used most kinds of tablets and compatible phones, and have best luck with ipad mini 4s.

Reactions: SARDG
No i have not timed it as im guessing but in a earlier post i mention there being a issue with camera tilting you can see the drone at 1 point come within a few feet of a metal slider on a farm i saw that 6 or 7 seconds 2 late and almost crashed

That is some seriously extreme delay - I can't imagine how it could even be possible. Did you actually time anything ?
I've used most kinds of tablets and compatible phones, and have best luck with ipad mini 4
I've used most kinds of tablets and compatible phones, and have best luck with ipad mini 4s.

Yes, I but I seriously doubt it can be anything near ten seconds. Hold your breath and count off the time with a clock - it's a relatively long time.
You might try setting recording to a lower quality. They may help.

FWIW I often encounter performance problems (with apps *other* than solo) with android tablets that have fewer than 4 cpu cores; the 2013 nexus 7 has 4 cores, but for example the Nexus 9 only has 2, so be aware of that when shopping around...

This is kinda obvious, but remember to close any other apps before you fly. I forget all the time, then wonder why performance suddenly goes mysteriously south. ;)

Yes, I but I seriously doubt it can be anything near ten seconds. Hold your breath and count off the time with a clock - it's a relatively long time.
You might try setting recording to a lower quality. They may help.
I got 6 seconds timing it

FWIW I often encounter performance problems (with apps *other* than solo) with android tablets that have fewer than 4 cpu cores; the 2013 nexus 7 has 4 cores, but for example the Nexus 9 only has 2, so be aware of that when shopping around...
No apps at all start clean fresh even reinstalled it

Maybe try making sure you have no background apps running. Some run even when closed.

For very low latency, just use a HDMI small video screen and use a phone for app control... I use the 3DR video monitor (from the old clearance sale over a year ago) with HDMI in. I have it on a tripod and my phone (or Nexus 7 2013) on the controller as backup video if I want to walk away and for app (Solex :) ). This setup always has smooth video on the monitor with no jaggies, hesitation, and very low latency regardless of what my tablet is doing... I'll be adding some HDMI goggles (all of my other ones are analog) soon and will move to using them plugged into the controller directly.

Advertised video latency from within the Solo system is 180 ms - less than 1/5 of 1 second or 1/2 the length of a blink.

From 3DR:
What you can’t tell about the controller just by looking is that it has its own 1 GHz computer inside. The computer powers a strong and secure WiFi network (3DR Link), which communicates with Solo and delivers HD video wirelessly to your mobile device with only 180 ms latency. The computer also powers a built-in HDMI port, making live broadcast to nearly any type of screen as simple as plugging in an HDMI cable.

https://news.3dr.com/the-solo-contr...rter-than-most-drones-5675479502cd#.gkgrbfvp7

Advertised video latency from within the Solo system is 180 ms - less than 1/5 of 1 second or 1/2 the length of a blink.

From 3DR:
What you can’t tell about the controller just by looking is that it has its own 1 GHz computer inside. The computer powers a strong and secure WiFi network (3DR Link), which communicates with Solo and delivers HD video wirelessly to your mobile device with only 180 ms latency. The computer also powers a built-in HDMI port, making live broadcast to nearly any type of screen as simple as plugging in an HDMI cable.

https://news.3dr.com/the-solo-contr...rter-than-most-drones-5675479502cd#.gkgrbfvp7

SARDG,

What the heck kind of measurement is a 'blink'? ...oh, never mind. :)

It seems to me the favorite Android tablet is the Nvidia Shield. I've used several Androids, and right now have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A dedicated to Solo use. Works great with everything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig