Antenna selection or replacement

I can't seem to find where I thought someone provided a link to where I can measure the RF activity/intensity with a meter in my flying environment, anybody have a link?

There's quite a few good apps that give pretty good info on the wifi side of things give their strength and a lot of info really. I was surprised how much they tell you even hidden ones are shown. At least it gives you an idea what your looking at. Play store has a bunch just use those but I'm sure iOS has some as well. I've had good luck whenever those seem pretty clear. It's amazing how many networks and repeaters are around when you check, using just what shows on my wifi search to connect looks clear but far from it in these apps.

Reactions: Lonewulph
I like it.. It might be something I am interested in after all the issues die down.

Ryan G

You can still fly without GPS. It just might dog track a little with the wind but not a big deal if you understand all this.

The main problem with loss of GPS is you lose the ability to get home if you drop your 2.4 ghz control connection. Its also a problem if its windy and you are flying near something and expecting the GPS to hold you in hover.

As mentioned before everyone should flip it to manual and fly it around so you know what it feels like and how to respond WHEN it loses GPS.
Understood... My point was that if you lose GPS, you will not RTH, and if that was the only plan, you are SOL :)

I was told that my Solo automatically went into ALT HOLD because of a "degraded GPS signal" with 10 satellites and an hdop of 1.6

I was told that my Solo automatically went into ALT HOLD because of a "degraded GPS signal" with 10 satellites and an hdop of 1.6

Well Manual is ALT hold based on barometer but I don't know the threshold of what they are doing.

Seems to be problems in this area or we would not have had a rush update :)

Well I'm sad to say just experienced this gps degradation middle of my yard 15 feet from landing went erratic then after a few seconds said gps lost. I corrected it back and forth and got it to land but wasn't soft and it tipped, after landing on all fours. Pause was useless and didn't make it to fly manual but don't think it would have worked either this quickly. Now seems to have a bit of wobble when taking off, I've been pretty lucky since I got it on June 14th. So it would seem even after at least 30 probably more good stable flights, your still not outa the woods, just sent a ticket guess wel see what happens. Tried changing props, needless to say not a happy camper right now.

Well I'm sad to say just experienced this gps degradation middle of my yard 15 feet from landing went erratic then after a few seconds said gps lost. I corrected it back and forth and got it to land but wasn't soft and it tipped, after landing on all fours. Pause was useless and didn't make it to fly manual but don't think it would have worked either this quickly. Now seems to have a bit of wobble when taking off, I've been pretty lucky since I got it on June 14th. So it would seem even after at least 30 probably more good stable flights, your still not outa the woods, just sent a ticket guess wel see what happens. Tried changing props, needless to say not a happy camper right now.
Post your log if you get a chance..

Will do let me figure out how I've not had to even look at any of that yet. Just happened about half hour maybe an hour ago.

How do I post my log? Just upload the .ZIP file here? I am going to start a new thread about my little incident. :)
Ryan G

Reactions: 50wyldeman
Well pleased to report after removing 1 pod and adjusting plastic and working with it a bit so it felt smooth and unrestricted like others, I re calibrated everything and the wobble is seemingly gone. Glad I figured it out but still curious as to what 3dr has to say about my support ticket. It was only a few feet from my home point in my yard where 90 percent of my flights have been so losing gps almost right where it initially got the gps lock is cause for concern. I'll post what's said to me, I just hope the brief time my motors were stuck didn't effect them much. I'm downloading the win 10 preview then I'll get mission planner and hopefully can post logs tomorrow as they don't make much sense to me at this point. Hope having this issue after so many good flights could still be QC issues not hardware but kinda makes me wonder now.

Definitely let us know. I am going out tomorrow with the new update to fly some more and get a little more confidence.

Ryan G

When this happened did you notice what flight mode the controller was showing? I know you were probably trying to control the Solo at the moment. We're you flying under anything, next to something? Adjusting plastic? Sorry, inquiring minds want to know. :D
Glad things are back in order for ya. Thanks for keeping us informed.
Ray

Last edited:
Ordered the fpv one was 139 today 30 bucks cheaper than yesterday I think. I'll post results when in!

Hi, guys, thanks for the response. Right now the price is 129$ for the kit with mounting hardware provided. We build by hand, in house. The solo kit , together with our Inspire and P3 kits are at the moment the hottest items, we send out at least 20 per day just of the Solo kit. We are building at full capacity, as the most we can build is 60 of any kind per day, and with the P3, Yuneec Q500 and Inspire 1 kits, we are right around that figure.... when demand is high and supply is low, prices cannot come down. The fact that 3DR higher ups are testing the kit and paid for it full price (Colin paid full price), makes us proud, and is consistent with our philosophy. We don't give away products to anyone for free. I have done it only 1 time and the guy who got it free turned to the competition eventually. After that, we stopped doing that, as the lesson was learned. What makes us very popular and very good is the fact that our returns are 0 or close to it. The only few returns we ever got in the past 3 years were people who never touched the boxed items, and made a wrong purchase or someone who crashed his drone before he could mount the antennas. We do offer full support of our product. If something does not work we replace for free. Our refund rate for 2015 is 0.2% and that includes people who cancel the order prior to shipping. That's what sets us apart.
Get it on WWW.FPVLR.COM
Regards,
TOny.
Are we talking about this unit?

http://fpvlr.com/store/product-category/solo/

or something else?

When this happened did you notice what flight mode the controller was showing? I know you were probably trying to control the Solo at the moment. We're you flying under anything, next to something? Adjusting plastic? Sorry, inquiring minds want to know. :D
Ray
In my case, it was clear skies and no obstructions. The unit went into "ALT HOLD" spontaneously, though there were 10 sats and it had an hdop of 1.6, which was the same as takeoff (though it got up to 12 sats and an hdop of 1,4 at one point). 3DR said it did this due to "GPS degredation" and I am trying to figure out specifically what that means...

Earl : YES about the product AND

Same thing happened to me last night.

Ryan G

Ray
I was in fly and think it went to manual and back, I bet it thought it was in s different location when gps got back going. I'll check and post logs after work. Wasn't below anything or messing with anything, did have one issue a while back when I brought my second phone near controller and it went kinda crazy but not this time I'll let you know after I get off here shortly.

Earl : YES about the product AND

Same thing happened to me last night.

Ryan G
Good.... Already have mine in hand and installed ;) If I can just get some motor pods I will be able to test it :(

FYI, in my case I swear I got no notifications... I see the ALT HOLD in the log files, but that was my only indication. It could be that the mode changed from FLY to BRAKE and I didn't catch it, but I really don't think so. What I know for sure is that I got no errors at the controller.

I want to get the motors ASAP so I can confirm this...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado