Android vs iOS - differences?

Reaction score
I was reading in some thread on this forum that there are differences between Android and iOS using the Solo. Is this true? Is the app itself different/better on iOS than android?

Currently, I am all Apple, and using an iPhone for the app. People talk about "Tower" and how it is great, but android only. I wouldn't mind a bigger screen, and have another use or two for an android tablet. I tried searching here, but haven't found anything that specifically talks to differences between the platforms.

Well, consensus seems to be that iPads are most stable and such, but for the most part the tablets are roughly equal.
Tower, though, is an amazingly interesting tool, and sooner or later you WILL want to use it!
Answer? Get both!

I was reading in some thread on this forum that there are differences between Android and iOS using the Solo. Is this true? Is the app itself different/better on iOS than android?

Currently, I am all Apple, and using an iPhone for the app. People talk about "Tower" and how it is great, but android only. I wouldn't mind a bigger screen, and have another use or two for an android tablet. I tried searching here, but haven't found anything that specifically talks to differences between the platforms.
The Solo app seems to be more stable in iOS than it is on Android. Updates so far have favored iOS first.

But the Tower app is stable and great app on Android. If you are new to drones and/or 3DR mission planning, then I suggest you stay with the Solo app on your iPhone for awhile. Get yourself trained up on the Solo and Solo app, especially the smart shots. I wouldn't be surprised if Tower is available on iOS by this spring. If not, you'll have some experience under your belt and can get an android tablet to use Tower.

Well I found a Nexus 7, and the app looks the same. I haven't messed with Tower yet.

On another note: I am pretty sure Android is not the 'droid I'm looking for. this thing will see very limited use.

Android is not for those who have no need to explore or tinker. If you prefer a nice tidy solution stay with Apple.
Tower requires a bit of understanding and you can get in trouble with it real fast. I would be surprised to see tower in apple ever.
But I would not be surprised to see more of tower fun in the solo app at large.

Android is not for those who have no need to explore or tinker. If you prefer a nice tidy solution stay with Apple.
Tower requires a bit of understanding and you can get in trouble with it real fast. I would be surprised to see tower in apple ever.
But I would not be surprised to see more of tower fun in the solo app at large.

I love to tinker, but I absolutely hate it when something is harder than it needs to be for no good reason. For example, "You need to install 3DR Services for the 3DR Solo App to work." Well, if the app doesn't run without it, why didn't it install it in the first place? (Note I am not blaming 3DR for shoddy programming. There is a reason it is set up that way, but that reason should have been addressed).

The biggest issue that I've experienced with the Android platform is Google! Too many apps are downloaded, executed, deployed and updated without your consent or in many cases, even your knowledge. And they can and do create havoc with my flying apps!

I had a great deal of trouble with my initial foray into the Android platform. After realizing and learning what was taking place and deploying all available methods to take as much control as possible over the devices and what was being installed and run on them, I've had very few issues.

Actually, I think using these devices as flying devices only has made them more stable that my iOS counterparts. I use many iOS devices, every single day, for many different things, I just don't use them for flying. I have been able to fly many advanced flight modes for quite some time on Android, in many cases months before they ever even show up on the iOS scene, if they ever do.

I am not an Android promoter, I just think for advanced flying techniques and modes it's currently a much better way to go. My opinions only.

Jerry

I use an iPad mini 3 most of the time, but I got a Nexus 7 (cheap on Amazon) to use Tower.

I discovered the Nexus 7 screen is brighter and clearer so I have been using it quite a bit with Solo. (But only for Solo- I use the mini for day to day stuff like surfing the net, email, etc).

I love to tinker, but I absolutely hate it when something is harder than it needs to be for no good reason. For example, "You need to install 3DR Services for the 3DR Solo App to work." Well, if the app doesn't run without it, why didn't it install it in the first place? (Note I am not blaming 3DR for shoddy programming. There is a reason it is set up that way, but that reason should have been addressed).

That is the nature of android. while Apple controls its hardware and can code with precision to that hardware, android devices can be made in many different configuration. Never had an issued with services. download once and keep it updated no issues.
You will never make an Apple person happy with Android or vice versa. Since all I have to do is make a call I get to play with all most all the hero models out there. The last Apple I owned was a 4S phone. They just are too locked up, and feel that way for me. But to each their own.

Reactions: Jubalr
I have been thinking of getting an Android tablet (all Apple at this point) to play with Tower. Another 'bonus' would think would be the micro SD slot to allow me to each the video I just shot

The biggest difference is probably reliability with regards to the app working or not. I have a Nexus 7(2013) that I primarily use with my Solo and also with my Phantom 3 Pro. What I have found to be a constant is that I have to delete/uninstall the Solo app on this Nexus along with the 3DR Services App every time there is an update or when I've had other Android related updates and I'm having difficulty connecting. Usually solves the problem, but is a pain. I spend more time getting things powered up/connected than I do flying. I got my Solo and a 6 months later got the P3 Pro. What a difference. Solo takes longer to get into the air, especially if you are in a different location and it needs to acquire satellites. I can take my P3 outside and be flying within a couple minutes. Never been that way with Solo. When I use the Nexus with the P3, I have no issues with the app and it automatically launches and connects, I don't have to labor through the settings like I do with the Solo app.
I have an iPhone that I use for a sanity check. If my droid isn't connecting to my Solo, I get out the iPhone and it usually has no issues, connects right away. That way I eliminate Solo/system as the issue. I did the update this morning to 2.3.0-1 and the 2.3.0 app. Had trouble with the droid connecting just prior so I updated using iPhone, because it works. Then went through the Android delete/reinstall on the apps. All works ok now, but it is a fuss/science project every time. Speaking of differences, my P3 has a 4k camera and the GoPro 4 Silver I use on my Solo isn't as good. Video off the P3 is clear and rock solid at 4k. My Solo if set to 2.7k/30fps, shakes too much, so I use 1080p/60fps most of the time and it isn't as noticeable. Side by side there is no question P3 4k provides much clearer and more stable video. Perhaps the Hero Black would be better, I may opt to try someday. I will say, I think the Solo is much better built/engineered, but I'll need to open mine up to verify the gimbal cable isn't touching the isolation balls or similar. I've balanced the props, didn't help. I will also do the GPS mod. (I shouldn't have to be doing any of that) I don't understand why they didn't use Glonass in addition to GPS, makes for a better/quicker lock. I'm never waiting on the P3 and until something changes on my Solo, the P3 is my drone of preference. Their latest updates include the same stuff Solo can do. Sorry for the longish post, had to vent a little. I do agree with one of the above posters, get an iPad/iPhone and a Droid. Lets you have some troubleshooting options.

Reactions: Thierry and J R

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44