a Solo apparently followed the fate of the Note7

Reaction score
an owner on facebook mod group posted his Solo of one year started burning up. Mainboard is 100% stock and unmolested.

the best part is the members here calling the competition "Chinese crap" hehe

14721504_10154515410497481_842032126040941604_n.jpg

If you mod components outside the mainboard beyond specs without changing parameters this is what happens, love how it's a close up of the cooked part. Would love to see the log file and exactly why this occured, I suspect user error... but hey I've had top of the line PC power supplies burn up after about a year. Let us know if it ever gets to 38.

Reactions: algojo
I'm sure the battery was not brand-new, was he using only the stock charger, or was he using a lipo charger, how often did he run the battery down to 15%? What was the total flight time on the battery, you're making a wild claim by stating it's similar in anyway to the Galaxy note, such claims if 3DR interested could be followed up by suit for damaging false claims. You can say a battery in this one solo had a failure but to suppose it's a massive manufacturing defect and broadcast it could get you in trouble someday. Good Luck making wild unsubstantiated claims that are a threat to life and property, try that with DJI and you'll be sorry.

I'm sure the battery was not brand-new, was he using only the stock charger, or was he using a lipo charger, how often did he run the battery down to 15%? What was the total flight time on the battery, you're making a wild claim by stating it's similar in anyway to the Galaxy note, such claims if 3DR interested could be followed up by suit for damaging false claims. You can say a battery in this one solo had a failure but to suppose it's a massive manufacturing defect and broadcast it could get you in trouble someday. Good Luck making wild unsubstantiated claims that are a threat to life and property, try that with DJI and you'll be sorry.
Um... what are you talking about? I didn't see anything in the 3 posts preceding yours about batteries.

Reactions: SARDG

I never mentioned batteries in the entire thread
I was simply stating how the Solo in question lit up like the infamous Note7

reading comprehension: 1 The One Eyed Willies: 0

guy's claiming no mods
it melted the plastic in the battery tray

Same thing happened to one of my solos. I had to desolder all the wires and connectors and resolder everything to a new main board. A couple hours of work, but it's flying happily again.20161128_195324.jpg

an owner on facebook mod group posted his Solo of one year started burning up. Mainboard is 100% stock and unmolested.

the best part is the members here calling the competition "Chinese crap" hehe

14721504_10154515410497481_842032126040941604_n.jpg

If there is a real issue here, it would be nice if the full details were posted (i.e. flight logs, field conditions during failure, etc.). I count on Solo to fly safely and reliably and if there is an issue I would like to know about it but a photo of a partially melted board really doesn't help very much. There are plenty of qualified folks in this group that I am sure could take a look at the flight logs and details of this failure. Perhaps I am misreading something here but given the time it took to pull apart this Solo to photograph and laugh ("hehe") about a failure, it seems to me they could easily have provided the flight logs unless the controller also burst into flames and was unrecoverable. If a failure is being documented, please do it properly so that everyone can benefit from a proper evaluation of the condition and at the end of the day we all gain something productive from the experience. Cheers! -Mike

Reactions: twitchyzero
agreed, thanks for your reply

i thought to throw in some comic relief for the blind loyalty from some 3DR fan garcons here so they can understand how ironic some of their statements are. Check where your Solo is made before you dismiss foreign company products as inferior. Solo is also a mass-produced consumer product. Some units melting isn't out of the question....just be glad if it can be caught before it takes out your house/car.

Good day.

Oh cmon guys. Electronic components sometimes fail. Batteries sometimes fail. And sometimes when they fail, they get hot. There is no widespread epidemic of solos going up in smoke. If this only happened to two, I'd say that's pretty good.

I don't recall if I went through a factory reset or firmware update process after firing up the solo, but I'll provide what I have, hopefully later tonight.

It happened on power up, and Idoubt it was connected to the controller. It smoked a little and stunk of burnt plastic immediately, but there were no flames that I saw. I powered it down just as quick, removed the battery.

For what it's worth, I still think this thing is awesome. I'd buy a fifth one before considering DJI.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44