Has anyone ever received a response from 3DR why the solo flips on landing?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've looked through the group and haven't been able to find anyone that has received an answer from 3DR explaining the cause for the Solo flipping over on landing.
There are theories, speculations etc. I've had it happen a couple of times. My nephew just had it happen on his new Solo. Though I blame his for landing in GPS mode. There are folks who claim they've never had it happen since they bought theirs a year ago.

I'm curious if anyone has submitted logs to 3DR for analysis and received an answer back explaining what happened? Also, if they were in a manual mode when it happens.

Thanks.

I always uses GPS mode, For several reasons:
Consistent wind (12 to 25 mph) here Padre Island, Tx. GPS controlled from take off to landing,
It's the reason i chose Solo over others.
I Have button "A" set to manual, for emergencies.
Never crashed while landing,
Hit a small pole once, but no damage in 17 months of flying.

came close once when a gust of wind hit it from port side about 5 feet from ground zero but somehow it recovered and I landed it no worries in GPS mode not auto land mode. everything back then was still stock standard setup too.

Never sought an answer since it has not been an issue for me either landing manually or automatically.

You ask this question like there's some well known bug or flaw in the system that we've all been living with for 2 years now and never bothered to ask about. There isn't.

If you flip over on landing, it is due to lateral movement with the legs on or just about on the ground. That lateral movement could be induced by you mishandling the controls, or by the GPS being weak and drifting close to the ground. In either case, it is not a malfunction or design flaw. And in most cases, it is user mishandling.

Have a read here: Recognizing, avoiding, and responding to botched landings. While not related specifically to flips, this often leads to it if done wrong.

Reactions: RichWest
There are instances when landing with GPS/Fly mode Solo has flipped. @Vegasrobbi demonstrated in a video how this can happen when landing on uneven ground. When using Fly mode to land, you are relying on Solo to determine it has landed. And apparently, SOMETIMES has a problem with it. Combine that with what Pedals said above and you can have an incident pretty quickly.

I've been flying many years and for ME, I prefer to be in control of all landings and take offs and do so in Manual or stabilize modes. Nothing to blame but me if something gets broken.. Here is the @Vegasrobbi video I referred to:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: RichWest
Another over simplistic but accurate way to understand it is that when Solo is landing itself - even if you're "assisting" while in fly mode by simply lowering the throttle to land - it's continually trying to take over the process. Hence - an occasional mishap.

There are instances when landing with GPS/Fly mode Solo has flipped. @Vegasrobbi demonstrated in a video how this can happen when landing on uneven ground. When using Fly mode to land, you are relying on Solo to determine it has landed. And apparently, SOMETIMES has a problem with it. Combine that with what Pedals said above and you can have an incident pretty quickly.

I've been flying many years and for ME, I prefer to be in control of all landings and take offs and do so in Manual or stabilize modes. Nothing to blame but me if something gets broken.. Here is the @Vegasrobbi video I referred to:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Interesting vid. I too almost always takeoff and Land in either manual mode or stabilize mode. That is why I was curious about the findings.
Mine did it in manual mode recently. The first time it happened was on the previous Solo that was replaced due to problems. It went into RTH mode and wouldn't come out.

Thanks for the inputs here.

When landing I always hold the left stick down and to the left to disarm once the aircraft is on the ground. I'll have to try that while holding it at an angle in Fly mode to see if it will still disarm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Defective barometer.. just spoke to a rep and I am getting a free replacement. Mine flipped on landing a few times.

When landing I always hold the left stick down and to the left to disarm once the aircraft is on the ground. I'll have to try that while holding it at an angle in Fly mode to see if it will still disarm.

That only applies in stabilize mode. See the thread I linked which describes how landing detection and disarming actually works.

Defective barometer.. just spoke to a rep and I am getting a free replacement. Mine flipped on landing a few times.
Thank you for the update. We're you having that issue in GPS mode or fly mode? Or in manual/stabilize mode?

Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado