GoPro 7 worth it? (also a mini gopro rant!)

Reaction score
So we've seen the results of people putting the GoPro 5 & 6 on the 3DR solo. Frankly in a straight line the results are great, anything other than that though... not so great. So finally the GP7 get's released that claims to offer "Gimbal Like Stabilization". I think it's a bold claim and the results I've seen... still makes me want to buy a gimbal. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a vast improvement over the GP6... but only because GP hobbled the stabilization on the 6 with their last update (anyone else suspect this was done on purpose?) However it may do quite well on a solo, the only problem being that you still wouldn't have any Pan or Tilt controls using a stock mount. Still if you can't get your hands on a gimbal, it may be worth it (then again, I'm sure you can buy a good drone for the price of the GP7).

So question is, as a Camera is the GP7 worth the asking price?
IMHO if you only own a GP3 or GP4, sure, I do think it's worth it. The addition of stabilization, GPS, higher frame rates, improved interface are all good things.
If you own a GP5.... maybe it's worth it, as the new image processing chip is a good upgrade especially for low light situations and the GP5 stabilization wasn't all that great..
If you own a GP6..... That's a harder one to justify. The same image chip is used in the GP6 as is used in the GP7. The stabilization used in the 6 was pretty good until it was hobbled by GoPro with an update. Probably to make the GP7 seem more attractive a purchase. So the GP7 seems more of a token upgrade than anything.

There are very ....varied.. feelings about GoPro here and I get that. From my own experience, the GP2 was my first camera and I still even have that today (don't use it as much but it's got sentimental value at least). The GP4... I like it, especially because I could use it to do some okay night lapses and hey, it works with a Solo! However I didn't think the build quality was that good (I've gone through 3 of them at this stage, 2 have had issues, one fatally so... and yet my GP2 is still going strong). The GP6 I find has excellent image quality and is great it low light. I have found it's a great camera for taking still shots. I also have 2 GP Fusions that I could write pages on. The main pro is the ability to be able to reframe your shots in post. I now freaking love shooting in 360 degree's... but this leads to the biggest weakness of GoPro, the GP6, GP7 and the Fusion!

THE SOFTWARE SUCKS!

It doesn't matter if you're using the desktop or mobile apps. The software is buggy, poorly conceived, and for the most part, doesn't support the features of your camera.
Sure the GP5, 6, 7 and Fusion have GPS built in. GREAT! But does the GP software enable you to actually pull the GPS data or put it into your footage? Only with the latest IOS version of the software. For those with android or windows, the answer is a big fat "No". And this is what, 2 years after the release of a GPS enabled camera? If you're using the fusion.... oh dear god... yes you can create a 360 video or an overcapture video with the GP Fusion studio software... but it's static. To get full use out of it, you're going to have to pay money to get an Adobe License so you can actually create worthwhile video's with pans, zooms tilts etc... The mobile software only seems to allow you to make 33 second video's at most, will not download them to the devices SD card (so you'll run out of room fast!) and of course no stabilization....

Frankly I think this is GoPro's biggest failing. In a market being flooded with cheap Chinese knock off camera's that are priced far lower than what GoPro can offer, GoPro should at least be trying to beat the pants off the competition by offering superior software and a much better user experience. Instead they seem to want to pump out mediocre upgrades, not support what they put out on the market and then wonder why their profits keep falling. We've seen them try to pump out 4 - 5 models a year only to see that strategy fail, now they are pumping out 3 models this year (and the lower end models just don't seem that attractive feature's wise).

If someone out there wants to give me a GP7 for free, I honestly won't say no. However, if someone out there offered me a choice between a GP7 and $350 cash? I'd take the cash without hesitation (and you know, buy more drone parts of course).

So without taking up more time here, please, share your feelings on this one, I'd love to know how other people feel about Go Pro (extra points if you use facts to back up your feelings!)(points deducted for troll like behavior)(points added for gargoyle like behavior because ya know... oddness should be rewarded).

-begin Rant-

I'd be on board if GoPro [or anyone, really] started making it EASY to control their cameras from a computer of any stripe I'd like. Really, why have they locked down the USB port on the new generation of cameras? Why not publish an API, then a webpage/wiki that tells us what commands do what, then let us run wild integrating it into accessories and platforms? That is a serious inquiry - Why not?

Seriously, not even the chinese knock-offs do this. The only ones I know of are BlackMagic [who hasn't released and updated micro/sports camera in a LONG time] with Serial/contact closure interfaces and FLIR with the Duo line that has PWM and MAVLink interfaces.

First camera maker to market with a sub $300 general purpose action/micro cam with a published command protocol that works thru Bluetooth/USB/Serial will be getting my money for a good long while....

-Rant concludes-

-begin Rant-

I'd be on board if GoPro [or anyone, really] started making it EASY to control their cameras from a computer of any stripe I'd like. Really, why have they locked down the USB port on the new generation of cameras? Why not publish an API, then a webpage/wiki that tells us what commands do what, then let us run wild integrating it into accessories and platforms? That is a serious inquiry - Why not?

Seriously, not even the chinese knock-offs do this. The only ones I know of are BlackMagic [who hasn't released and updated micro/sports camera in a LONG time] with Serial/contact closure interfaces and FLIR with the Duo line that has PWM and MAVLink interfaces.

First camera maker to market with a sub $300 general purpose action/micro cam with a published command protocol that works thru Bluetooth/USB/Serial will be getting my money for a good long while....

-Rant concludes-
Very good points. Especially if they aren't going to provide working software for their camera to begin with. Why not create the camera and then open it up for the public to create their own software and uses. I'm thinking there's a few behind the scenes software agreements with GoPro hence they don't want to make their software too useful thus encouraging end users to part with their money to supported companies. May also explain when there's an actual app update, it's always IOS who gets it's first and not Android, IMHO of course.

Reactions: EZL
First person to do the open API for an action cam has the potential to eat the market assuming they maintain some passable level of image quality.....

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Very good points. Especially if they aren't going to provide working software for their camera to begin with. Why not create the camera and then open it up for the public to create their own software and uses. I'm thinking there's a few behind the scenes software agreements with GoPro hence they don't want to make their software too useful thus encouraging end users to part with their money to supported companies. May also explain when there's an actual app update, it's always IOS who gets it's first and not Android, IMHO of course.

Even the Mobius cameras and RunCams have software interface via USB. The XK Detect X380A used a Mobius camera on a gimbal
that had tilt control from the controller. Granted, the gimbal wasn't a 3-axis with stabilization but at least you could adjust the camera's
functions from the software. GP wants you locked in to overpriced hardware so they can sell more of it to consumers.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
If Runcam offered HDMI output I'd build a gimbal around that product. Clients want at LEAST 720 or they complain that the video is 'fuzzy' when they are looking at the screen

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
If Runcam offered HDMI output I'd build a gimbal around that product. Clients want at LEAST 720 or they complain that the video is 'fuzzy' when they are looking at the screen
if Runcam could keep the digital hdmi out latency as low as their analog, I'd bite.

Ok, I'm going to say something "GOOD" about GoPro today, just so I'm not a negative nelly........ (ie. A grumpy depressing a-hole.....).

1: I do think their "trade a camera, any camera, any condition and get $50 off a brand new gopro" was a very good sales tactic.
2: Their current tactic of "film footage on a GP7, submit it, and if we use it, you get a share of a million" is also good.... it's not great, but it's good.

I think the two above points make for a good "sales" tactic to drive up shipment of units to end users. What it doesn't do however it address the satisfaction of the end users.

It's great to read the more technical aspects of why people are unhappy with gopro. I was honestly hoping that they would take a significant leap forward with the 7, maybe even offer interchangeable lenses but maybe that's too much investment for them.

The other day I sent a message to RunCam.com and got a response from the R&D Department concerning HDMI output on a RunCam
camera. Here is the response:

RunCam Support (Customer Services)

Oct 4, 10:32 CST

Thanks for your suggestion.

We will forward it to the research and development department.
Regards,
Stella T.
RunCam Customer Service

This message was in response about incorporating the HDMI feature on a RunCam camera for a Solo quadcopter. Whether they will
follow up in the future on it time will tell. It's no problem incorporating a gimbal, 600 mw 5.8 ghz transmitter and a regular RunCam
on a X380 quadcopter. A aftermarket gimbal would have to be used on the Solo. The Solo's stock gimbal would have to have a
FireFly 6S or the GitUp Git camera on it. The problem is, the Solo gimbal is still inflated in price! I am glad I purchased the gimbal
when I caught it low in price on Ebay.

It isn't inflated in price. Considering what it does its a pretty good deal.

Just because at one point someone dumped their entire stock at fire sale prices doesn't mean the gimbal isn't a fine piece of tech worth a couple hundred bucks

I don't think the Solo Gimbal is completely insanely priced, especially when you consider the cost of an equivalent setup from somewhere like CopterLab, who aren't 100% clear on whether or not their setups will work with SmartShots or the paddle on the Solo controller, nor whether or not they integrate any type of remote triggering capability.

1538672194016.png

So the next question then is.... what camera do you recommend over the GP? There does seem to be a lot of Chinese knockoff's available, but are there any "Good" ones that offer a quality picture or even additional features like GPS, Built in Stabilization etc? Thoughts?

I don't think the Solo Gimbal is completely insanely priced, especially when you consider the cost of an equivalent setup from somewhere like CopterLab, who aren't 100% clear on whether or not their setups will work with SmartShots or the paddle on the Solo controller, nor whether or not they integrate any type of remote triggering capability.

View attachment 9532
Professional Grade! I doubt if many of us use something like this without the FAA licensing for Commercial use. The original
price for the 3dr Solo with the gimbal proved to be a decent buy compared to what was out there. DJI has the resources to
compete and kill competitors and their prices are still up there in cost and Yuneec had decent products available too.
Commercial drone use requires the FAA Drone License 107 so if a fella is getting paid good $$$ this gimbal would be worth
it since it would be a business write-off. I doubt that it would be worth it for a hobbyist unless he has a lot of dollars to play
with and I know most people have budgets to cope with. Thanks for your post...

Professional Grade! I doubt if many of us use something like this without the FAA licensing for Commercial use. The original
price for the 3dr Solo with the gimbal proved to be a decent buy compared to what was out there. DJI has the resources to
compete and kill competitors and their prices are still up there in cost and Yuneec had decent products available too.
Commercial drone use requires the FAA Drone License 107 so if a fella is getting paid good $$$ this gimbal would be worth
it since it would be a business write-off. I doubt that it would be worth it for a hobbyist unless he has a lot of dollars to play
with and I know most people have budgets to cope with. Thanks for your post...
Can't a hobbyist (non part 107 license holder) still also use their drone for commercial purposes once they are operating under the direction of a licensed PIC? This would make purchasing an expensive drone (with expensive gimbal) worth their while anyway.

Can't a hobbyist (non part 107 license holder) still also use their drone for commercial purposes once they are operating under the direction of a licensed PIC? This would make purchasing an expensive drone (with expensive gimbal) worth their while anyway.

Yes. Anyone can be the "person manipulating the controls" under the direction of the RPIC. But keep in mind that the RPIC is responsible for the entire operation, including the contract and the subsequent distribution of funds. You would be part of his crew, subject to his direction.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig