Wow, I screwed up!....

Reaction score
So this dumbass here was playing on eBay the other night and after 10 minutes of half ass research bough himself an unused Solo. After 20 minutes on this site I have lost my mind... Way too much info for this dumb guy, posted by smart guys.

Had no idea what I was getting into.

Looks like there is no way this thing is coming out of the box and flying without some serious updates and work on my part, right?

So here’s my questions, and please keep it simple.

What’s the most direct route to unboxing and flying for a guy with little spare time and IOS devices? And is there a video showing these steps (bonus points).

Thanks a million.
Seattle Steve

Reactions: Mantis20
I think Solo will still fly out of the box. just do the Preflight update, which is basically just a firmware update, done from the app.
I believe this still works ‎3DR Solo

After a while, you migt wanna upgrade to OpenSolo. OpenSolo/OpenSolo

You will find out that this is a really awesome bird (despite only 15 minutes of flight time with a gimbal), just have to get used to it.
If you do not, someone will probably be happy to get it of your hands :)

Oh yeah.. a lot of people here like to tinker around their Solos, and doing other stuff to them. Feel free NOT to take that route now :D

Last edited:
I think Solo will still fly out of the box. just do the Preflight update, which is basically just a firmware update, done from the app.
I believe this still works ‎3DR Solo

After a while, you migt wanna upgrade to OpenSolo. OpenSolo/OpenSolo

You will find out that this is a really awesome bird (despite only 15 minutes of flight time with a gimbal), just have to get used to it.
If you do not, someone will probably be happy to get it of your hands :)

Oh yeah.. a lot of people here like to tinker around their Solos, and doing other stuff to them. Feel free NOT to take that route now :D
Hey Spieky, thanks for the info. I thought I saw on another post that the new ios updates had trashed the app. I’m on 13.6 with my iPhone.

Hey Spieky, thanks for the info. I thought I saw on another post that the new ios updates had trashed the app. I’m on 13.6 with my iPhone.

You will need an older device to complete the Preflight Update. Either iOS or Android. Android with Solex is the best way to go but it can work with iOS too.

Once you get past the Preflight Update it will fly great. Just remember to start in an open area and give it plenty of time to obtain a GPS lock.

Also a very good idea to read the manual before you fly. It is available online. Any info you need can usually be found by searching in Google for "3dr Solo" plus whatever info you need.

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
Be sure to understand what the different flight modes are. I learned the hard way that "Manual" and "Sport" aren't anything like DJI's interpretation of those terms. And remember that pause/brake button!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc