Wondering how well balance the factory props are?

Thank you to VideoArch , Madog, David Whatson, and others who have made comments which contributed to finding a solution to the Balance prop mastery.

A summary of the facts is that:

Props come unbalanced.
Some are difficult to balance
Some are tedious and troublesome to balance vertically (i have mentioned several times )
Some props balance well horizontally but not vertical, a lot of re work needed.
Change of prop solved the vibration even when the props check out to be balanced.

Concluded that some props are BAD PROPS . If a prop does not balance vertical out of the box or with minimal work , it is a BAD PROP even if it it out of the box.

I have one such case and prop which i thought that balance would work , turns out no . I listen to the comment to change props even when balanced and see if vibration at low speed improved.
The answer YES...YES...

A BAD PROP. defined as above very difficult to balance vertical , the nut or center shaft is off center , no matter how you balance it you will get vibration . Thus A BAD PROP.

I hope this helps those with the hover and slow vibration.
Guy

Reactions: Del
A summary of the facts is that:

Props come unbalanced.
Some are difficult to balance
Some are tedious and troublesome to balance vertically (i have mentioned several times )
Some props balance well horizontally but not vertical, a lot of re work needed.
Change of prop solved the vibration even when the props check out to be balanced.

Concluded that some props are BAD PROPS . If a prop does not balance vertical out of the box or with minimal work , it is a BAD PROP even if it it out of the box.

Curious, what was your ratio of bad Solo props based on your classification for bad? One out of six or one out of twenty....

Previously you stated your motors were balanced out of the box. I don't doubt that for a moment. What method did you use to confirm the motors were balanced?

Good day , two methods to determine the motors were well balanced:

One was a prop balance stand modified to hold the armature of the motor. I have a video
Dropbox - 2015-10-08 17.29.54.mp4

The second i spun the armature on a Dremel rotary tool at at least 6000 rpm and no noticeable vibration was perceived. I have done the same on dji 2212 motors and they are unbalanced the Dremel is all over the place at lower rpm .

Rgds Guy

Good day , two methods to determine the motors were well balanced:

One was a prop balance stand modified to hold the armature of the motor. I have a video
Dropbox - 2015-10-08 17.29.54.mp4

The second i spun the armature on a Dremel rotary tool at at least 6000 rpm and no noticeable vibration was perceived. I have done the same on dji 2212 motors and they are unbalanced the Dremel is all over the place at lower rpm .

Rgds Guy
Very good, thank you. And yes my experiences with DJI P2V+ motors were the same. Poor balancing. That's was my tipping point from DJI, too many issues for my vested time and a 1 year life cycle.

Still interested to know your ratio for bad Solo props... Regards

Ratio. I have 5 sets for a total of 10 props. One is Bad Prop swings the gimbal like a pendulum tested installed in the front pod

6 perfect vertical balance out of the box , minor adjustment for horizontal balance.

2 with minor touch up with a dremel to get vertical balance no adjustment for horiz balance.

1 questionable not easy to balance vertical but will only use it in an emergency.

Rgards
Guy

Reactions: RichWest
A pleasant surprise , the motors are very well made , and surprising well balanced . No epoxy goo on the magnets . the magnets are linked and equally spaced . Looks like a heat treatment glue which is invisible.

See pict enclosed. View attachment 1551 View attachment 1552

I have to echo this. I checked all my motors today and didn't trust my results. So I even went and bought the same Vibration app as the one used in the YouTube video just to be sure. Unless I'm missing something, all my motors are very well balanced, if comparing to the values posted in the video.

image.jpeg

I have to echo this. I checked all my motors today and didn't trust my results. So I even went and bought the same Vibration app as the one used in the YouTube video just to be sure. Unless I'm missing something, all my motors are very well balanced, if comparing to the values posted in the video.

.005 on the Z axis RMS, I got to say that's very impressive based on my results. Almost as though the motors aren't running type of levels.

Could you describe your setup to measure the readings, phone placement?
Was this with all motors running at the same time?
Did you setup with foam pads under the legs/feet and phone?

Fascinated reading these posts. You guys really get into the dirt with this stuff and I applaud you for it. If you need to do the kinds of things that you are doing, why are these manufacturers selling these products to places like Best Buy? These don't seem to be the "open the box and go" kind of items. Do you believe that you should be expected to do this kind of advanced maintenance on such a high priced product?

I'm just a P2, P3, Solo user fascinated by your discussion.

Jerry

.005 on the Z axis RMS, I got to say that's very impressive based on my results. Almost as though the motors aren't running type of levels.

Could you describe your setup to measure the readings, phone placement?
Was this with all motors running at the same time?
Did you setup with foam pads under the legs/feet and phone?
I ran each motor separately as described in the video.

My iPhone is in a very slim tight fitting hard shell. Basically just a clear scratch cover for the back. I used the thin foam that wrapped the gimbal weights under the phone.

At first, I used some really small elastic bungee-type cables to strap the phone on tight on each arm. I placed the phone so that the side of the phone lay on the flat shiny part right next to the motor across the arm, top and bottom hanging out. I also tried laying the phone long-wise along the arm with the top end of the phone on the flat motor and the bottom edge on the battery.

After I got these results, I took the straps off, iPhone balanced on the flat part. Same results the entire time. The phone just didn't move.

I didn't bother taping foam to the legs. I tried first with Solo on a short haired area rug. Then I moved Solo off the area rug - I have really thin carpet - the flat weave kind without tufts so I just placed Solo on the carpet. Basically just as good as the foam without any taping and cutting.

I still didn't trust the results so I installed the app on my other newer phone. Same results.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichWest
Fascinated reading these posts. You guys really get into the dirt with this stuff and I applaud you for it. If you need to do the kinds of things that you are doing, why are these manufacturers selling these products to places like Best Buy? These don't seem to be the "open the box and go" kind of items. Do you believe that you should be expected to do this kind of advanced maintenance on such a high priced product?

I'm just a P2, P3, Solo user fascinated by your discussion.

Jerry
Haha 3DR's roots weren't in the mass market. So I guess many of us who like to tinker were attracted to it.

I don't think you need to do all this - 3DRshould make the product perform as described for the average consumer. But the Solo is interesting in that we can take it apart and swap parts etc. all part of the hobby I guess.

No different than cars? Some people just drive them to work ;). Toyota Corrolas are reasonably priced and really reliable, I hear. You won't miss getting to work, but I'm sure they're not for everyone.

Silly comparison aside, the hobby is still just breaking into the mainstream. Some maintenance will be required. Especially after the 1 year warranty runs out. Unless you treat it as a disposable toy and just buy another or pay someone to do it for you.

I ran each motor separately as described in the video.

My iPhone is in a very slim tight fitting hard shell. Basically just a clear scratch cover for the back. I used the thin foam that wrapped the gimbal weights under the phone.

At first, I used some really small elastic bungee-type cables to strap the phone on tight on each arm. I placed the phone so that the side of the phone lay on the flat shiny part right next to the motor across the arm, top and bottom hanging out. I also tried laying the phone long-wise along the arm with the top end of the phone on the flat motor and the bottom edge on the battery.

After I got these results, I took the straps off, iPhone balanced on the flat part. Same results the entire time. The phone just didn't move.

I didn't bother taping foam to the legs. I tried first with Solo on a short haired area rug. Then I moved Solo of the area rug - I have really thin carpet - the flat weave kind without tufts so I just placed Solo on the carpet. Basically just as good as the foam without any taping and cutting.

I still didn't trust the results so I installed the app on my other newer phone. Same results.
Way cool description on your setup, thanks for taking the time to explain. Again a very impressive number.

I'll try your method and see how my bird fairs. My setup had my phone resting on the flat battery top, no foam, tape or case - Moto-Razr. I figured that was the crossing point for any resonance, but more importantly it was flat...;)

Way cool description on your setup, thanks for taking the time to explain. Again a very impressive number.

I'll try your method and see how my bird fairs. My setup had my phone resting on the flat battery top, no foam, tape or case - Moto-Razr. I figured that was the crossing point for any resonance, but more importantly it was flat...;)
Anytime. Post back and let us know how it goes.

I don't think you need to do all this - 3DRshould make the product perform as described for the average consumer. But the Solo is interesting in that we can take it apart and swap parts etc. all part of the hobby I guess.

I kind of feel the same way on both sides of your statement. I'm fairly certain improvements in all aspects will continue to a level everyone has expected. We here and within other communities are helping them improve the product. Using DJI's progression as the reference. 3DR is learning a lot from the Solo's roll out, better than any study at MIT, Rice or UC Berkley.

Regarding your analogy, cars and their people, we all stepped into a different showrooms by buying 3DR. Corolla was your choice. When I saw the Solo, it was a Ford GT. But now it feels like a Taurus SVO. Still good, but not what I expected for the price point or company. I guess the point is that we all having differing levels of expectations from the platform and brand. Maybe I'll RMA the Taurus hoping for a GT in return... Then again, I've dreamt of Porsche 911 for much longer and I'm fairly certain it would meet my expectations. Is it worth the money? Beauty is in eye of the beholder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lamda

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44