WILL MY GOPRO HERO 3+ SILVER WORK WITH GIMBAL?

After conversing with 3dr support, it appears that only GoPro can resolve this with a firmware update. They can also give full functionality to the 3+ also if they wish to. The more people requesting a fix the better. Does anyone have a GoPro support email address?
GoPro recently announced that they will be releasing their own quad next year... It will be interesting to see how much cooperation they give to 3dr in the coming months.

GoPro recently announced that they will be releasing their own quad next year... It will be interesting to see how much cooperation they give to 3dr in the coming months.
I wouldn't expect that to change and I would be shocked if GP was going to re-invent the wheel with their own controller and not be using a Pixhawk 2 or variant from 3DR.

I wouldn't expect that to change and I would be shocked if GP was going to re-invent the wheel with their own controller and not be using a Pixhawk 2 or variant from 3DR.
Well, there are a lot of flight controllers out there... Also, pixhawk is open source so they could build their own board and use the firmware without any involvement with 3dr. Pixhawk isn't a 3dr product.

Well, there are a lot of flight controllers out there... Also, pixhawk is open source so they could build their own board and use the firmware without any involvement with 3dr. Pixhawk isn't a 3dr product.
You can buy clones of the Pixhawk. But Pixhawk is manufacured by 3DR. Of course, GP could still use a PX4 variant not labeled 'Pixhawk' if they wanted, or Naza, CC3D, Etc. My thought was only that early on 3DR stated there was a working relationship between GP and 3DR for the Hero Bus port. That agreement could have included 3DR support for the controller in their product.
"3DR Pixhawk:
Pixhawk is an advanced autopilot system designed by the PX4 open-hardware project and manufactured by 3D Robotics. It features advanced processor and sensor technology from ST Microelectronics® and a NuttX real-time operating system, delivering incredible performance, flexibility, and reliability for controlling any autonomous vehicle."

Reactions: Coastwise
Good day. I have the same concerns with the H3+ Silver. I just got done chatting with GP regarding the issues with the H3+Silver, and here is the log:

Brandon: My name is Brandon. How can I help you?

You: Good day. My name is RJ. I am inquiring about the H3+Silver. I have purchased a H3+Silver, along with the Solo quadcopter. It will not work properly with the latest GP firmware update. I would like to know when you will have a fix for this issue?

Brandon: I am sorry to hear that. Are you referring to the camera not working properly with the latest update or the quadcopter?

You: Yes I have the quadcopter, gimbal, and camera. I upgraded to 3.02 from 2.0 and the camera did not work and the camera froze up and was not able to be used. I contacted 3DR and they stated that it is problem on the GP side and not their issue. I was told that.

You: I was told to downgrade back to 2.0, and the camera then does give me live video, but does not function properly from the app.

You: I have to start recording before I put the camera in the gimbal

Brandon: So the camera functions fine when not attached to the quadcopter?

You: Yes, I have no issues when functioning alone.

Brandon: I see. Since the camera functions fine on its own then its not an issue with the camera and we don't support third party devices officially. There are no current plans as of yet to change the update.

You: Ok, I belong to a forum that dicusses the issues that have arised regarding the H3+ Silver. This is the camera that does not function properly with the quad. It appears that the H3+Black, and the H4 series do not have any issues. So I just want to be clear so that I do not give out any wrong information, there are no plans now or in the future to ensure that the H3+Silver functions properly with the 3DR Solo, gimbal, and app?

Brandon: You are correct. There are so many quadcopters available and to try to make them all compatible with the camera would take too much man power and money. We focus on the cameras, unfortunately not the third party devices since theres so many of them.

Brandon: If a company wants our cameras to work with their device, we will do what we can but its ultimately up to that company to make sure it functions with our camera.

You: Ok Mr. Brandon, I thank you for assistance regarding this matter, and may the rest of your day be a pleasant one. Thank you!

Brandon: No problem at all. I will note your concern. You're welcome. Thank you for chatting with GoPro! Have a great day!

So looks like the H3+Silver will not be supported by GP ever to properly work with Solo.....money not well spent for me!

Good day. I have the same concerns with the H3+ Silver. I just got done chatting with GP regarding the issues with the H3+Silver, and here is the log:

. . .

So looks like the H3+Silver will not be supported by GP ever to properly work with Solo.....money not well spent for me!

Thanks for passing this on... You should e-mail it to 3DR support and ask them how they are going to make the H3+ Silver work with the Solo WITHOUT any firmware changes by GoPro...

Thanks for passing this on... You should e-mail it to 3DR support and ask them how they are going to make the H3+ Silver work with the Solo WITHOUT any firmware changes by GoPro...

Excellent suggestion and I will pass it on to them and see what they say. Thanks!

This is so frustrating...I got my gimbal 2 days a go and like many I own a GP 3+ Silver and it doesn't work like it should ahahahahaha!
let's see:
broken motor pod = 2 week wait for replacement
Broken battery = 2 week wait
broken RC (froze would not come out of the solo screen pulled battery and plugged back in and still froze = 3 week wait
I've owned my Solo for 8 weeks and now this

I refuse to quit this platform but damn it they make it so hard to stay loyal lol

This is so frustrating...I got my gimbal 2 days a go and like many I own a GP 3+ Silver and it doesn't work like it should ahahahahaha!
let's see:
broken motor pod = 2 week wait for replacement
Broken battery = 2 week wait
broken RC (froze would not come out of the solo screen pulled battery and plugged back in and still froze = 3 week wait
I've owned my Solo for 8 weeks and now this

I refuse to quit this platform but damn it they make it so hard to stay loyal lol

I feel your pain this is from GoPro. I posted a chat log I had, so the GoPro 3+Silver will never properly work with Solo. I also called 3DR and spoke with a support rep there. He stated that the 3+Silver will not work with Solo and that I need to purchase a GoPro H4 and that is what Solo is designed to work with. I asked why did they promote and say that the H3+Silver would work with Solo. He stated it does work with Solo with the 2.0 GP firmware, but that you can not control the GP or start/stop the video, or take pics. There will be no support for having full functionality of Solo with the GP3+Silver. I told him that was BS and they need to address the issue and I bought my GP3+ Silver, Solo and gimbal on the notion that I was going to be able to use it as advertised......damn shame....smh!!
Here is a small portion of my chat with GoPro support:
You: Ok, I belong to a forum that discusses the issues that have arised regarding the H3+ Silver. This is the camera that does not function properly with the quad. It appears that the H3+Black, and the H4 series do not have any issues. So I just want to be clear so that I do not give out any wrong information, there are no plans now or in the future to ensure that the H3+Silver functions properly with the 3DR Solo, gimbal, and app?

Brandon: You are correct. There are so many quadcopters available and to try to make them all compatible with the camera would take too much man power and money. We focus on the cameras, unfortunately not the third party devices since theres so many of them.

Last edited:
As of right now, no, it's completely broken. Here's the e-mail I just sent to 3DR support:

I got my Solo gimbal yesterday and was overjoyed - until today, when I actually tried to use it. I did all the updates - the Android app, the Solo/controller, and, prompted by the message on the Solo app, the firmware on my GoPro Hero3+ Silver. Before the GoPro update I at least had working video streaming. I assumed the firmware update (to version 3.02) would mean I would get full functionality. Instead, here's what happens:

1. Video streaming does not work at all now
2. Every time I even attempt to use the GoPro with the Solo, the GoPro locks up hard, requiring me to pull the battery out to reset it

Also, I read the help info in the Solo app regarding the camera firmware update message and found that the Hero3+ Silver is barely supported at all, even under the best of circumstances. It would have been REALLY NICE to know that before I spent hundreds of dollars on a GoPro that I have absolutely no use for other than the Solo.

So my questions are: Is the Hero3+ Silver ever going to work at all? If so, WHEN? My Solo is next to useless to me without a camera. And to get full control over the camera, do I need to buy a Hero4 or will the Hero3+ ever be fully supported? Mostly I just want to be able to trigger video recording and still photo taking. If I do have a buy a Hero4 to get full functionality I'd rather know right away so I can just do that and be done with it.

And, finally, when I tried to submit this message as a support ticket through your web site, I got this: "Failed to send your ticket. Please try later or try another support method."

I have to say, I'm pretty profoundly disappointed in 3DR right now.​

I feel your pain this is from GoPro. I posted a chat log I had, so the GoPro 3+Silver will never properly work with Solo. I also called 3DR and spoke with a support rep there. He stated that the 3+Silver will not work with Solo and that I need to purchase a GoPro H4 and that is what Solo is designed to work with. I asked why did they promote and say that the H3+Silver would work with Solo. He stated it does work with Solo with the 2.0 GP firmware, but that you can not control the GP or start/stop the video, or take pics. There will be no support for having full functionality of Solo with the GP3+Silver. I told him that was BS and they need to address the issue and I bought my GP3+ Silver, Solo and gimbal on the notion that I was going to be able to use it as advertised......damn shame....smh!!
Here is a small portion of my chat with GoPro support:
You: Ok, I belong to a forum that discusses the issues that have arised regarding the H3+ Silver. This is the camera that does not function properly with the quad. It appears that the H3+Black, and the H4 series do not have any issues. So I just want to be clear so that I do not give out any wrong information, there are no plans now or in the future to ensure that the H3+Silver functions properly with the 3DR Solo, gimbal, and app?

Eddd

Reactions: Engine24blue
Your right I had same problem with my GoPro 3+ silver..on the drone it does say compatable with hero 3+ and the hero 4s so it's misleading! I talked to 3dr and GoPro and like they told me "wich gets me nowhere at al"..it's the 3+ black that's compatable not the 3+ silver! Why didn't they say that on the [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] box or manual from the start!..and what really pisses me off in this case is I didn't own a GoPro before buying the solo.and since it said plain as day that it compatable with the 3+, I went out and bought the 3+ silver because it says compatable with all 3+ models...if I would of known this at the time of buying I would of just bought the 3+ black!!...so thanks for the piss poor misleading compatable directions 3dr!!...i lost hundreds of dollars on your unprofessional wording in the directions and compatablity chart!!...how about you take my 3 silver,and give me a 3 black plus 3dr for your [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] lies saying its compatable with all the 3 series!!...eat a dog turd 3dr!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found this thread after trying to use my Hero 3+ Silver with the gimbal & having the same problems as everybody else had. So after reading through all the comments it seems I can downgrade the firmware to at least get a live video feed, but has anybody been able to record video? Has anybody tried drilling a small hole in the gimbal above the Hero's record button to be able to activate it manually? Is there any reason why that wouldn't work? I'm disappointed at this point because I dont want to go back to the fixed mount & I dont want to invest in a Hero 4 just yet. If I could just start the recording manually I'd be satisfied with that for now.

*** Update ***

I was able to downgrade my Hero 3+ Silver to v2.00 using the link in post #19. I can confirm that it fixed my issues ... I am getting a live feed now & the camera doesn't lock up.

I was also able to answer my question about recording. I am glad to find out that it does work! You can in fact start recording manually without any modifications to the gimbal. When the camera is mounted in the gimbal there is a little sliver of the record button showing that you can press down with your fingernail to start & stop recording. After doing it a few times it becomes fairly easy to do. I may end up dremeling out a little crescent on the top of the gimbal to expose more of the button to make it easier to press.
Hopefully this will help somebody out who is trying to use a Hero 3+ Silver. I will probably end up getting a Hero 4 eventually, but at least I can use the camera I have for now.

Last edited:
I have the 3plus silver and reverting back to 2.0 software gave me streaming capabilites but i have to start the recording before takeoff and i am NOT using a gimbal. I will not purchase one until i either upgrade to a gopro 4 for full functionality or we get a decent fix or workaround hack.

i'm running 3.0 code on my hero silver 3. cut a hole in the top for the trigger button. no problems at all with it.
So you just cut a hole in the top of the gimbal to push the record button on the gopro? and the gimbal itself swivels and tilts using the 3dr remote?

is there any place still selling the gimbal for $40. Im looking online and the cheapest i am seeing is $60

Bestbuy had them for $40. I bought spares. To be honest if video is our thing then you are missing out. $60 is well worth it. Considering it was $400 a year ago. Pretty sturdy but since 3DR is leaving I would get props, batteries, gimbals spares.

Bestbuy had them for $40. I bought spares. To be honest if video is our thing then you are missing out. $60 is well worth it. Considering it was $400 a year ago. Pretty sturdy but since 3DR is leaving I would get props, batteries, gimbals spares.
Thanks, i will check there today. I am new in this, only 2 flights and one battery charge deep. It took me a week to get up the nerve, LOL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela