WILL MY GOPRO HERO 3+ SILVER WORK WITH GIMBAL?

It will, but you will not have full functionality. I do not know exactly what those limitations are, but I suspect they have something to do with the control of the camera itself and not the control of the gimbal.

From the 9-3-15 manual
Streaming video compatible with GoPro® HERO 3, 3+ or 4
Full compatibility with GoPro® HERO 3+ or 4
iOS 8.0 or later / Android 4.3 or later

As of right now, no, it's completely broken. Here's the e-mail I just sent to 3DR support:

I got my Solo gimbal yesterday and was overjoyed - until today, when I actually tried to use it. I did all the updates - the Android app, the Solo/controller, and, prompted by the message on the Solo app, the firmware on my GoPro Hero3+ Silver. Before the GoPro update I at least had working video streaming. I assumed the firmware update (to version 3.02) would mean I would get full functionality. Instead, here's what happens:

1. Video streaming does not work at all now
2. Every time I even attempt to use the GoPro with the Solo, the GoPro locks up hard, requiring me to pull the battery out to reset it

Also, I read the help info in the Solo app regarding the camera firmware update message and found that the Hero3+ Silver is barely supported at all, even under the best of circumstances. It would have been REALLY NICE to know that before I spent hundreds of dollars on a GoPro that I have absolutely no use for other than the Solo.

So my questions are: Is the Hero3+ Silver ever going to work at all? If so, WHEN? My Solo is next to useless to me without a camera. And to get full control over the camera, do I need to buy a Hero4 or will the Hero3+ ever be fully supported? Mostly I just want to be able to trigger video recording and still photo taking. If I do have a buy a Hero4 to get full functionality I'd rather know right away so I can just do that and be done with it.

And, finally, when I tried to submit this message as a support ticket through your web site, I got this: "Failed to send your ticket. Please try later or try another support method."

I have to say, I'm pretty profoundly disappointed in 3DR right now.​

As of right now, no, it's completely broken. Here's the e-mail I just sent to 3DR support:

I got my Solo gimbal yesterday and was overjoyed - until today, when I actually tried to use it. I did all the updates - the Android app, the Solo/controller, and, prompted by the message on the Solo app, the firmware on my GoPro Hero3+ Silver. Before the GoPro update I at least had working video streaming. I assumed the firmware update (to version 3.02) would mean I would get full functionality. Instead, here's what happens:

2. Every time I even attempt to use the GoPro with the Solo, the GoPro locks up hard, requiring me to pull the battery out to reset it

Also, I read the help info in the Solo app regarding the camera firmware update message and found that the Hero3+ Silver is barely supported at all, even under the best of circumstances. It would have been REALLY NICE to know that before I spent hundreds of dollars on a GoPro that I have absolutely no use for other than the Solo.

So my questions are: Is the Hero3+ Silver ever going to work at all? If so, WHEN? My Solo is next to useless to me without a camera. And to get full control over the camera, do I need to buy a Hero4 or will the Hero3+ ever be fully supported? Mostly I just want to be able to trigger video recording and still photo taking. If I do have a buy a Hero4 to get full functionality I'd rather know right away so I can just do that and be done with it.

And, finally, when I tried to submit this message as a support ticket through your web site, I got this: "Failed to send your ticket. Please try later or try another support method."

Wow thanks for the update sorry to hear that. I actually get my gimbal Monday so I will be trying to set it up and see what happens I'll let you know.

And I too have a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver - so I guess that I'll have to deal with these issues as well - if I ever receive my Gimbal from 3DR...

I'm new to this forum and I wish my first post could be under better circumstances. I got my gimbal today (2.5 hour drive to Fry's in Dallas) and was very excited to get it installed and working. My first experience with the gimbal was exactly the same as circuitmike's... Update GoPro software (done, latest version), no streaming video, and my GoPro locks up every time I connect it to the gimbal. I was able to get it to work once (streaming video) however I couldn't test the recording functionality of the GoPro due to no remote record compatibility and because the gimbal covers the record button. So other than the fact that it doesn't work I think its really lame that they were so vague about the functionality of the 3+... I thought at the very least, you would be able to start/stop recording and have live video.

With the solid mount, I had no problem streaming video. It worked perfectly.... So now I have the gimbal, I lost streaming capability, didn't gain any GoPro control functionality and this thing is potentially damaging my GoPro by constantly causing it to lock up.

I have been using 3dr products for quite a few years. Iris, Pixhawk and several variations of Ardupilots in both fixed and rotor wing aircraft. For the most part I have been happy with them... Seems like maybe they bit off a little too much all at once with the Solo. I also sent support an email about this and several other problems I am having. I'll report back if I hear anything.

A

I got a gimbal last week. Install went fine. I was using a 3+ Silver which seemed to work (had streaming video) then I updated the GoPro software. The update caused the same problems that everyone has listed. Loss of video and hard lock up. Spent a lot of time on phone with 3DR techs. 3DR claims they have a fix if you are using an Android device, but they advised me that you should delete the App and reload it (not just update it) and they do not have a fix for an iOS device yet and it could take weeks before they do. I don't know if the Android fix works or not (I have an iPad mini). Bottom line for now; if you want to use your 3+ Silver then DO NOT update the GoPro software to any version greater than 02.XX.

I have put this info in another thread but here it is again. I purchased the Solo, Go Pro camera , iPad mini and gimbal form Best Buy on July 30 (except the gimbal, of course). Although it's way past the normal BB return period, I went to BB with the 3+ Silver in hand, explained the situation. They gave me a full credit for the 3+ and I left with a 4 Silver. The 4 Silver works great, no problems at all. My opinion is (if you can budget it) get a GoPro 4 silver/black and save yourself a lot of misery.

I found a solution to the problem! It was very simple and only took about 45 minutes!
Step one, get in car and drive to best buy. Step two, walk inside and locate the GoPro display and pick up a HERO4. Step 3, proceed to checkout. lol... I know, not the ideal solution but I have been wanting to get a 4 for a while now. My 3 has been through a lot and it was time for an upgrade... Plus I can still use my 3 on my Iris, which still sees a lot of use. The good news is that BB is running a promo on the HERO4... I got $100 gift card with my purchase which I was immediately able to put towards a new tablet for my Solo.

I got a reply back the same day from 3DR technical support (major props to them for getting back to me so quickly!):

Sorry if you experiencing this problem (Hero 3+ Silver with 3.02 using our Solo gimbal) we can recommend as a temporary solution to downgrade their cameras with the previous version (2.00), attached is the "UPDATE.zip" file, download it and extract the files, copy the "UPDATE" folder to the microSD card then turn on the camera, this will perform the downgrade (the camera will restart itself about 4 times during the downgrade, this is normal).

Once the camera has the 2.00 on the camera, it won't freeze again and will have video feed on its HDMI port.

It is normal to get a message on the app that the camera requires an update, just dismiss that message.

If you still have an issue feel free to let us know.​

They included an attachment as well, which I can't include here because it's too big (13M - forum upload limit is 3M). It's the 2.00 firmware for the GoPro Hero3+ Silver. You should be able to get it from GoPro or from 3DR by writing them as I did. Once I flashed that to my GoPro I was indeed able to get video again, so my gimbal isn't completely useless. They didn't answer my question about whether they intended to support the HERO3+ eventually or if I'd have to just buy a HERO4 for full functionality. I may see if I can get an answer from them on that.

I got a reply back the same day from 3DR technical support (major props to them for getting back to me so quickly!):

Sorry if you experiencing this problem (Hero 3+ Silver with 3.02 using our Solo gimbal) we can recommend as a temporary solution to downgrade their cameras with the previous version (2.00), attached is the "UPDATE.zip" file, download it and extract the files, copy the "UPDATE" folder to the microSD card then turn on the camera, this will perform the downgrade (the camera will restart itself about 4 times during the downgrade, this is normal).

Once the camera has the 2.00 on the camera, it won't freeze again and will have video feed on its HDMI port.

It is normal to get a message on the app that the camera requires an update, just dismiss that message.

If you still have an issue feel free to let us know.​

They included an attachment as well, which I can't include here because it's too big (13M - forum upload limit is 3M). It's the 2.00 firmware for the GoPro Hero3+ Silver. You should be able to get it from GoPro or from 3DR by writing them as I did. Once I flashed that to my GoPro I was indeed able to get video again, so my gimbal isn't completely useless. They didn't answer my question about whether they intended to support the HERO3+ eventually or if I'd have to just buy a HERO4 for full functionality. I may see if I can get an answer from them on that.

I got the same response...

I have a GO Hero 4 black and the only thing I'm able to do is stop and start recording. Is that all we're able to do at this time or am I missing something? I assume that gopro app-like settings changes aren't possible yet in the current software?

You are correct. Currently only live streaming and record/stop. Supposedly there will be more control of h4 in future releases.

I got a gimbal last week. Install went fine. I was using a 3+ Silver which seemed to work (had streaming video) then I updated the GoPro software. The update caused the same problems that everyone has listed. Loss of video and hard lock up. Spent a lot of time on phone with 3DR techs. 3DR claims they have a fix if you are using an Android device, but they advised me that you should delete the App and reload it (not just update it) and they do not have a fix for an iOS device yet and it could take weeks before they do. I don't know if the Android fix works or not (I have an iPad mini). Bottom line for now; if you want to use your 3+ Silver then DO NOT update the GoPro software to any version greater than 02.XX.

I find that the Android app will work hard to believe. My GoPro 3+ locks up as soon as the Solo is powered on regardless of the app.

I find that the Android app will work hard to believe. My GoPro 3+ locks up as soon as the Solo is powered on regardless of the app.
This is due to the most recent firmware update gopro pushed out. Downgrade to the last version and it should work fine. I had the same problem and contacted support. In less than 24 hours I got a response (on a Sunday, no less). I downgraded and it works fine now.

This is due to the most recent firmware update gopro pushed out. Downgrade to the last version and it should work fine. I had the same problem and contacted support. In less than 24 hours I got a response (on a Sunday, no less). I downgraded and it works fine now.

Thanks. I contacted support. Do you know of a link to the old firmware so I don't have to wait? I can't find it on the GoPro site.

Sure... Here is what 3dr sent me.

Thank you for contacting 3DR Technical Support, My name is Sergio and I will helping you.

Could you please send me the Serial Number of your Solo and controller, you will find it on the battery tray, and for the Gimbal see attached images, to keep them on our records.

I’m sorry to hear about your inconvenience but unfortunately the GoPro 3+ Silver firmware update is not working with the Gimbal, and it causes the GoPro to freezes.

We are recommending the following:
Downgrade to 2.0.0, to unfreeze the camera just unplugged the GoPro battery, copy the "UPDATE" zip file extract the files to the micro SD card then turn on the camera, this will perform the downgrade (the camera will restart itself about 4 times during the downgrade, this is normal).
Once the camera has the 2.0.0 on the camera, it won't freeze again and will have video feed on its HDMI port.

Best Regards,
Sergio Mendez
[Technical Support Engineer]

Here is the link to the update.zip file:
https://3drobotics.zendesk.com/attachments/token/rPVueaOBXNUzKG48sm7epq3oo/?name=UPDATE.zip

Reactions: xchuiix
After conversing with 3dr support, it appears that only GoPro can resolve this with a firmware update. They can also give full functionality to the 3+ also if they wish to. The more people requesting a fix the better. Does anyone have a GoPro support email address?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela