Which Phone or Tablet ?

JPB

Reaction score
I’m about to receive my Solo and I wanted to have your thought on what is the best phone or tablet to go along with the controller. I was not sure if I should go with a cheaper Android or if one the more expensive Apple Retina devices was worth it. Does the iPad mini 2 gets too heavy after I while ? How much does the screen size matter in terms of control ?

Also, I wanted to make sure I don’t need cellular (just wifi) with the device I will be using.

Thank you for sharing what you are using.

I've been experimenting with different iphones and tablets. First I bought a cheap galaxy tab 4 mini, but hated it. It didnt fit the brackets because it too small. I bought a cover for it to add some size but seemed a little wonky. Played with it for a day, then decided I hated it.

Returned galaxy tab 4 minit to buy ipad3 wifi+lte. It was an open box item so i was able to get for relatively cheaper than brand new. While testing, it worked ok. Noticed it would crash every now and then. Not too much of a big deal. Just restarted app.

Now looking to return ipad 3 and get a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 because I want to try out the Tower app. Which is only available on google play. Not sure when it'll be available for iOS, but from reading the post it doesn't look like anytime soon.

With the 3 i've tested my iphone6 works the best. Never crashed and works great. Heard good things about the Galaxy Tab S so im gonna try it out.

Without cellular, you'll have to cache the map of the area you'll be flying prior while connected to wi-fi. Hope this helps, I had the same question when I first got my solo. Enjoy!

If you want to be able to use tower, you will need an android device. It seems the 2 most popular with bright screens are the Galaxy Tab S and Nexus 7 2nd gen.

i have the Galaxy tab s 8.4 and it works just fine.
seems like this is one of the most popular tabs here.

I also have a Samsung Tab S/lte and it works great. Have not heard of these tablets crashing.

It would be great if someone could create a pros and cons list of the top four or five tablets/phones.
Unfortunately, that someone is not me.

[QUOTE="Now looking to return ipad 3 and get a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 because I want to try out the Tower app. Which is only available on google play. Not sure when it'll be available for iOS, but from reading the post it doesn't look like anytime soon.

With the 3 i've tested my iphone6 works the best. Never crashed and works great. Heard good things about the Galaxy Tab S so im gonna try it out.

Without cellular, you'll have to cache the map of the area you'll be flying prior while connected to wi-fi. Hope this helps, I had the same question when I first got my solo. Enjoy![/QUOTE]

I'm using the iPhone 6 Plus, which works great but would prefer a larger display and be able to use the Tower App. Thinking about the Galaxy Tab S 8.4 wifi only, just concerned about not having cellular LTE internet. I am worried that not having internet for the map and what ever else might be a big negative?

Appreciate some comments from the forum on using a wifi only Galaxy Tab S, many thanks.

Thank you for your input,

So just to be clear, if I go with a tablet without cellular, is it going to be a real bummer? What are the limitations with a Wi-Fi Only?

Could sharing my iPhone LTE connection through Wi-Fi to my non-cellular tablet be a work around?

I live in Canada, and cellphone data plan are some of the most expensive of the globe.

Anyone here using the Nextbook Ares 8? Very affordable quad core processor with Wifi and built in GPS. If you do own what how has it been with Solo?
Description online is below.

The tablet features an Intel Atom Z3735G Bay Trail processor, which should offer decent performance, 16GB of eMMC storage and a microSD card slot for removable storage, a micro HDMI port, micro USB 2.0 port, and an 8 inch, 1280 x 800 pixel display. Lollipop.

Other features include GPS, a 3-axis g-sensor, and front and rear cameras”

Could sharing my iPhone LTE connection through Wi-Fi to my non-cellular tablet be a work around?

Since you can't connect to both the solo wifi and your phone's wifi, that won't work. :(

Before i went out an bought yet another tablet so I can run Tower. I thought I would dust off the old HP Touch pad. Just installed KitKat 4.4.4 on it and 3DR Services loaded along with Tower. Not had chance to connect to solo yet but here is fingers crossed it works.

I use my IOS device for the solo app but wanted to run Tower as well.

Will post back once i have played around with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44