What tablet or smartphone are you using with Solo? report good and bad

My Galaxy Note 4 has worked very well before & after the gimbal install.

I see some people have been reporting bugs with their smart phone/ tablet working with Solo, app crashing, etc.

Why not list what you are using with your Solo, as well as how your connectivity (range) performance seems to be, any problems (app crashes), size of the tablet or phone, etc.

Also, does anyone know the largest tablet you can use with the stock Solo controller mount? Will a 10 inch work, or will it work only with 8 inch or smaller? I can't find anything that mentions this.

Let's see that list of tablets/phones that are working with the Solo!

Here's a start:

NOT WORKING: Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD
It has Android 4.4.2 but the App play store says that my device is not compatible with the Solo App.

Reactions: Francisco Cobos
Mine has retina display- still not good enough in sun. :-(

Its a tough thing to get right on a phone or tablet screen. Mine is as good as I expect but I am realistic in my expectations.

The best part was it was free in refurb form from att

Been using a LG G3 Verizon phone and a Nexus 10 tablet with no issues at all.

The Nexus 10 requires removal of the stock swivel clamp/mount, I just insert the case cover over the post and use small bungee cords. Love the big screen - even though it's a little heavy.

Home made sun screens for both!

Cheers

I experience lag on my Android Droid X phone when I'm flying.

Does that have to do with the video mode I'm shooting in? Because I'm shooting everything in Native and RAW either at 2.7k or 4k. Or, does the lag come from the device itself? If I bought an iPad, would it even make a difference in the lag?

Thank you,
Jason

I experience lag on my Android Droid X phone when I'm flying.

Does that have to do with the video mode I'm shooting in? Because I'm shooting everything in Native and RAW either at 2.7k or 4k. Or, does the lag come from the device itself? If I bought an iPad, would it even make a difference in the lag?

Thank you,
Jason
It streams video at 720 no matter what mode you're recording in. I would say it's your Android. I'm using a Tab 4, had some lag at long distance before the last update but is working good now.

I use my Tab 4 solely for Solo. You might try killing all your background apps to see if it makes a difference.

I've been using my old Nexus 5 phone, and it's worked perfectly. Screen can get pretty hard to see in direct sunlight, but that's true of pretty much all screens. I've been meaning to whip up a little sunshade for it, but otherwise I'm perfectly happy with a phone as opposed to a tablet.

IMG_20150701_132513734.jpg
I've been using my old Nexus 5 phone, and it's worked perfectly. Screen can get pretty hard to see in direct sunlight, but that's true of pretty much all screens. I've been meaning to whip up a little sunshade for it, but otherwise I'm perfectly happy with a phone as opposed to a tablet.
I'm still using the shade I made from cardboard back in June. Works well.

I had a galaxy tab 4 that I got on sale at best buy for $150. The micro usb connector broke so I bought the LTE version with a data plan from Sprint. Works pretty good. If you go the LTE route gotta make sure that you disable the connection optimizer that Sprint has built in. It disconnects you from any Wi-Fi network if it detects that network isn't connecting to the internet. So networks like GoPro and Sololink get turned off after a few minutes. How retarded is that. I was cursing 3DR up and down when it first happened. Obviously wasn't their fault :)

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

I have two new devices:

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 2, it works great. I have the 8 inch version and it fits in the holder that comes with the Controller with no problem. All functions work ok, but with the current Solo app, the Follow Me function doesn't work well. This problem is not unique to the Tab S2, as many other users report the same issue.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 also works great. I have it in a Otterbox Defender and it barely fits in the Controller holder while in the Defender in the long dimension. Unfortunately, it's too narrow to fit in the short dimension. A bit of a stretch to make it fit, but it works. Functionally, it seems to work ok, but I haven't tested Follow Me yet.

I have two new devices:

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 2, it works great. I have the 8 inch version and it fits in the holder that comes with the Controller with no problem. All functions work ok, but with the current Solo app, the Follow Me function doesn't work well. This problem is not unique to the Tab S2, as many other users report the same issue.

Same here-- Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 works fine.. Mounted with this adapter mentioned here on the forum.

I used my oversized latest iphone, worked great but too small. I now use my latest ipad. Tool large for the holder by about 1/8" for some hateful reason. Inevitably one of the ears broke off. Velcro works better anyway. I don't understand why everyone wouldn't want the largest screen possible, and why an Ipad won't fit...barely.

is there one that is brighter and easier to see in the sunlight, does anyone know?

upload_2015-11-1_18-31-35.png

My Nexus 7 (2013) is super bright, can and do use it in full sun with no sunshade on the screen, although i do usually try to keep the screen in my shadow.
If Im flying somewhere new I cache my maps prior or hotspot via my phone on site.
Uses the GPS in the tablet for follow me and look at me which work fine.
And the app tells me when it is wanting to use the GPS, or it is unavailable and I need to switch it to "device only" use

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog
View attachment 1773

My Nexus 7 (2013) is super bright, can and do use it in full sun with no sunshade on the screen, although i do usually try to keep the screen in my shadow.
If Im flying somewhere new I cache my maps prior or hotspot via my phone on site.
Uses the GPS in the tablet for follow me and look at me which work fine.
And the app tells me when it is wanting to use the GPS, or it is unavailable and I need to switch it to "device only" use
Do you need a data plan with a carrier to cache the maps?

Do you need a data plan with a carrier to cache the maps?
No, just connect the Nexus 7 to the internet via wifi, cache your maps, disconnect internet wifi, connect to Solo wifi and fly with the maps you cached.

Reactions: Maddog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela