Well I did it :( On my 3DR Solo

Yet another thing. It says the certificate is a "recognition of ownership".
How? Does this mean we're admitting to owning all drones?

Again.. for what purpose?
Is every operator going to be visited in an area near a mishap of some sort? Seems the only way possible to ID a specific person since the drone itself remains incognito.
Could well be. Although I'd imagine a mishap ends with a downed aircraft which means they've got the wreckage or witnesses of you recovering it. Either way you're on the hook. The registration just means they don't have to do any investigation into ownership.

Reactions: Maddog
Is every operator going to be visited in an area near a mishap of some sort? Seems the only way possible to ID a specific person since the drone itself remains incognito.
Not incognito. Every drone must be labeled with one UAS Certificate Number to fly legally. Every such number is assigned by the FAA to one person. When a drone is involved in an incident that requires contacting the operator, its certificate holder will be looked up in the FAA registry and contacted.

Yet another thing. It says the certificate is a "recognition of ownership".
How? Does this mean we're admitting to owning all drones?
The FAA document entitled "Registration and Marking Requirements for Small Unmanned Aircraft" (pdf 211 pages) says in section 48.25(c), "In accordance with 49 U.S.C. 44103(c), registration is not evidence of aircraft ownership in any proceeding in which ownership of an unmanned aircraft by a particular person is in issue." The only time the phrase "recognition of ownership" occurs is in section 48.125 which is only about non-citizens. It states, "The agency will consider the certificate that is issued [to a non-citizen] to be a recognition of ownership rather than a certificate of U.S. aircraft registration." The certificate is NOT a recognition of ownership for citizens.

What I meant, basically, was that the great majority of calls received concerning drones are from people who never actually get close enough to read the numbers, even if they were on the outside.
So... let's say some moron really makes a class-A screwup at a county fair and buzzed some folks atop the Ferris wheel. Several people call the cops and report a "black drone thing".
Police find 7 people in the county that might have one.

What I meant, basically, was that the great majority of calls received concerning drones are from people who never actually get close enough to read the numbers, even if they were on the outside.
So... let's say some moron really makes a class-A screwup at a county fair and buzzed some folks atop the Ferris wheel. Several people call the cops and report a "black drone thing".
Police find 7 people in the county that might have one.
That's possible, of course, but my guess is that the FAA sUAS registry will only be used for finding the certificate holder of known certificate numbers, and will not be used in scenarios like the one you described. Here's why I think so. When there is a drive-by shooting, they don't round up everybody in the area who has a gun permit, because drive-by shootings are obviously done by scofflaws, and scofflaws usually have no gun permit. Similarly, scofflaws who fly drones illegally will probably not register as drone operators either, so looking in the FAA registry for a scofflaw would be counterproductive. In brief: looking within the legal system to find people who are outside the legal system is futile.

I have not registered yet, but I will. Seems like a lot of people are concerned about being put on another list by Big Brother. We all are on so many lists anyway, and almost anybody can get our name, address, and other info just by clicking on a mouse. Besides being able to track the owner of a drone in case of a mishap, I also think the FAA is trying to get a handle on the sheer numbers of the UAS sales that we are experiencing. I don't think the average person who sees you flying, whether over their property or not, is going to ask to see if you are registered and demand to see your certification number. Now, there will be the few who just want to be hard to get along with, and want to check on you, but I don't think that will be the norm. Hopefully, this will help cut down on the idiot incidents we read about, but it will not take care of all of them. We can only hope we get more educated and responsible pilots from it. Now, I don't mean to sound like I am all pro government and all. It just seems to me that this will maybe help negate some of the bad publicity we get sometimes. This is jut my $.02 worth on the subject.

Good point but I think the "claimed" purpose is to identify the owner of a drone after it crashes at the U.S. Open.;)

I have not registered yet, but I will. Seems like a lot of people are concerned about being put on another list by Big Brother. We all are on so many lists anyway, and almost anybody can get our name, address, and other info just by clicking on a mouse. Besides being able to track the owner of a drone in case of a mishap, I also think the FAA is trying to get a handle on the sheer numbers of the UAS sales that we are experiencing. I don't think the average person who sees you flying, whether over their property or not, is going to ask to see if you are registered and demand to see your certification number. Now, there will be the few who just want to be hard to get along with, and want to check on you, but I don't think that will be the norm. Hopefully, this will help cut down on the idiot incidents we read about, but it will not take care of all of them. We can only hope we get more educated and responsible pilots from it. Now, I don't mean to sound like I am all pro government and all. It just seems to me that this will maybe help negate some of the bad publicity we get sometimes. This is jut my $.02 worth on the subject.
I agree- but I'm afraid irresponsible drone owners won't register and we are back where we started- not being able to ID the owner of a drone involved in an incident.

I think the registry is a knee-jerk reaction to something that hasn't happened yet. (See thread regarding the number of turtle strikes).
I understand the intent, but remember, this comes from the same type of people who tell us that expanded gun background checks will cut down on mass shootings. End of rant...o_O

You are right. The intent is to make us accountable. That doesn't mean everyone is going to comply. The irresponsible ones are just going to keep on doing what they do. It is going to be far from perfect. Your parallel to gun owner background checks is right on.

Reactions: AKPhantom
Oh well. ..just one more list to be on. .. personally I think it's a little funny that I don't have to register this:
a447dc41-425f-4989-85d4-2ef8f182718e.png

or this:
VID_20110430_185227_100-1.jpg

or this:
eceba776-52ea-4da7-af5b-f0a190db119b.jpg

but my quadcopter (one of the least hazardous things I own) might pose a threat so it should be watched carefully. ..lol

Good point but I think the "claimed" purpose is to identify the owner of a drone after it crashes at the U.S. Open.;)
Which is the vast MINORITY of incidents. This will do nothing to identify people doing illegal activities...UNTIL they crash...AFTER the fact. This is typical feel-good legislation that does nothing practical except make the "people" think that their "concerned" government is doing something about this "scourge" on society lol. So, had this been in place for the last year...they would have caught HOW MANY people out of the hundreds doing "bad" things? 3? 4? Whoopie.

Purpose: Identification of the owner AFTER the flight. Unlike manned aircraft, drones are too small to read their registration numbers while they are flying. Since their numbers will therefore only be read when the drone is on the ground, it's logical for them to be allowed anywhere that's easily accessible without tools, such as in the Solo battery compartment.
So I assume we won't have to worry about the cops pulling us over to check our license and registration number, unless you get one who's a dick. Are we supposed to carry our certificate with us to verify the number on the drone is the same on the paper? It would seem the way this has been set up is just to find who owns the thing after it crashes into an airplane, a special event, or the White House.

Also, what if we sell our drone to someone else? I hope they have a way of releasing you from the liability of the drone once you sell it.

I just taped a copy of my certificate in the Battery Bay... with a note "if found call " with my information... not that I fly mine all crazy Distance from me or anything..... I figure it was quick way to get numbers on SOLO to make it "legal" and just in case the flyaway happens , I have a chance to get it back.
Since it is "pilot based" and not "per sUAS based" , Whomever FINDS it if I do LOSE it will have my phone info and name to return it to me... if the FINDER were to look up the registration number, they would get my name and address anyways....."I am sure it will be a public search engine of pilot numbers in the future"......so GOD FORBID if I ever have a flyaway or lose it, my info is in my drone . and I carry a copy of my certificate on me and in my carrying case..... that way I have it no matter what.

p.s. I have it hidden in my case ,so if ever stolen, I can identify the case if recovered in that event

Also, what if we sell our drone to someone else? I hope they have a way of releasing you from the liability of the drone once you sell it.
You're not registering your "drone". You're registering yourself as HAVING a drone. They don't ask the make, model, serial number or any identifying information at all concerning the UAV. So all they know is you have a drone, not which one(s), unless you are flying for commercial purposes.

Reactions: Maddog and CAPTAYR
I registered.

It says after you go through the process "Put it on your UAS", but the FAQs say you can put it in the battery tray....I'm gonna write it in there with a fine point, white Sharpie-63713.

None of it makes sense to me, but the requirement to register by itself may be enough of a deterrent to keep the jack asses in line (or marginally less out of line). So it doesn't matter whether the numbers are posted on the outside, inside, or whatever.

Yes: If you remove your certificate number from your drone before you sell it (as you should), nothing ties it to you any more. Removable stick-on lettering or labels therefore seems wiser than a permanent marker or engraving.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44