Waterproofing solo?

After seeing your post it made me think of maybe spraying the whole solo with a water proofing agent. But I don't know how safe that would be for the electronics.

I've heard that it's surprisingly water-resistant. Will hopefully know for sure soon.

Reactions: Alexvtt
The best water proofing is to put a get a http://www.getterback.com/ or save my phantom. same thing. I have sprayed the electronics on my phantom after retrieving it in ice could water -thus the investment of the geterback. If it gets wet you will surely lose the smart battery. If it does get wet rinse it with clean water and then again with RO or distilled and dry it up. My solo was purchased with a accidental and liquid damage insurance through squaredeal.

I water proofed mine by biting the bullet and buying the "SquareTrade 2 Year Drops & Spills Warranty" from B&H. I'm pretty new to this type of flying. I figure I'll need it.

You could get a Lily...

Check out this video at 0:56:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I had to land in a flooded field back in the spring (low battery landing). Actually didn't know it had water in it because the grass was so tall. The GoPro went under and kept on filming until I took the battery out. Put it in rice for a couple of days and it was fine.

Has anyone ever thought of water proofing their solo?

Check out this video for water proofing a drone:
If someone does this to their solo please make a video and post it. I want to see someone that knows electronics better then do it first before I try it. Create a video that shows the teardown, waterproof, and then re-assemble.

So I've looked at the video just above me (HI I'M NEWER HERE)

-and I've got a shitload of corrosionX and corrosionX HD... along with neverwet from a promotion from a few years back (but the neverwet isn't good on things that move). Looking to waterproof the solo...
-Any updates if anyone's been successful?
-Also looking at the B&H insurance... but didn't purchase the solo from B&H so not sure if that's a valid option yet.
-The biggest issue is the gopro and gimbal... Gimbal I can waterproof, but I can't find ANYTHING on whether people have waterproofed a gopro with corrosionX without the waterproof casing. (I also have a 5.4mm lens on the gopro instead of the stock one)... anybody have any luck waterproofing a gopro? Specifically against saltwater?
- Should I just get this guy? Waterproof Gimbal for Splash Drone Compatible with Gopro 3 and 4 ? And is this adaptable to the 3dr Solo Platform?

Thanks to any and all that check this out... and have any insight.
With love and gratitude,

-Carl

Okay folks I tried the CorrosionX on one solo ESC motor pod ESC and no issues. I know this goes against protocol but I plan on waterproofing all electronics to allow for thunderstorm photography. Not saying I will be flying in the rain but rather getting up to catch thunderstorm/lighting just before storm arrives. (Dead Calm Just before arrival) The waterproof is just a precaution as I land it and get it back in the house some rain may fall upon the bird. I will build a hat for the SOLO to shed water off it as to not run in/around GPS/Battery/mainboard. I will also seal SOLO chassis legs as to not allow water to not drain into main chassis along to include exit hole.

In the past I have been able to grab some amazing still shots from approaching storms here in the Midwest and that was with a drone that was 1/16th the quality & weight of the SOLO @ twice the cost. I will be flying GOPRO in waterproof/mod case. So here is my question. What flying setting allows me to climb and descend at the quickest possible rate? The trick to it is getting up and down very very quick prior to strong wind arrival. If wind does catch me I need to use gravity to help loose altitude as much as possible. I realize a bit risky maneuver however from past experience risk/reward is always the tradeoff. I just installed the master props and they allow for increased performance of the SOLO that is notable. Current cost of these babies allows for experimental options I would have never attempted in the past (short term option just until inventory drys up)

Reactions: skyhax
I want to do that type of storm stuff also. I have done a fair amount of snow flying with other quads and never had any trouble. Even with out any water-proofing.

If you guys start spraying waterproofing compound inside Solo just remember that Pixhawk has a barometer and needs to have access to the atmosphere in order to know its altitude so don't blindly seal it up.

Yesterday have dropped my solo into the lake, while shooting wakeboard video. It took 15 mins to get it back (no boat nearby, not easy to find, etc). Placed it to the sun, but had no instrument and time to detach it immediately. Today has partially tested it, using spare solo - GoPro is alive, wifi, gimbal and MRo gps seem to have no issues, but 2 motor pods are definitely burnt out (grey with smoke, specific smell, etc). Wondering if mainboard will survive.

You could get a Lily...

Check out this video at 0:56:
That is cool[emoji3] I saw this when it was supposed to come out. However, they are now under criminal investigation for never delivering (or making) a prototype as in the video. Part of it was shot with a Phantom. Lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela