Waiting for Gimbal 2 or...

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hi everyone,

I want to know if I am the only here waiting for the next Gimbal?
I don't own a recent GoPro and I am waiting to buy the next Hero5 later this year.
Actually, I use my friend's Hero3+ to have live feed and it's ok for me.
I wrote a mail to 3DR and they can't confirm for now the compatibility of the actual Gimbal with the future GoPro until they have the official specs.
That's why I am waiting for the next Gimbal or a compatibility confirmation.
Anyone else? Any opinions?

All I heard was the Hero 5 was delayed. By time 3DR gets it worked into the system I would guess its going to be well into next year before you see that. Can you wait that long?

All I heard was the Hero 5 was delayed. By time 3DR gets it worked into the system I would guess its going to be well into next year before you see that. Can you wait that long?
Yes I can.
Winter is coming for me.
And I don't think I will go out very often with my solo until next spring (April). Maybe if I have one sunny day with no clouds, no wind and 5 below zero, I will go out with Solo.

Don't know for sure, but according to GoPro they are making a plastic adapter to make the 5 fit in 4 housings etc. which makes sense since it would just need to be a piece of plastic. They also say the 5 will be compatible with the HERO port.

So... Given those two things, the 5 "should" work with your existing gimbal. Of course the 5 doesn't exist yet so things may change.

Don't know for sure, but according to GoPro they are making a plastic adapter to make the 5 fit in 4 housings etc. which makes sense since it would just need to be a piece of plastic. They also say the 5 will be compatible with the HERO port.

So... Given those two things, the 5 "should" work with your existing gimbal. Of course the 5 doesn't exist yet so things may change.
Creating a plastic adapter for a fixed go pro mount is one thing, however creating a balanced adapter that mimics the GP3/4 balance on all axis as would be required for a gimal is quite another. Plus there is the issue of the HDMI cable placement which the current solo gimbal requires to be in a specif place and orientation.

It appears to me the Hero 5 port is in the same place on the back and it also appears that is is the same (H x W) size but thinner. At minimum the clip that holds it in place will change and as R2F said to get it to work properly it needs balanced. Not sure if that is something they can completely overcome with software/firmware.

On top of all that the menus for the 5 are going to change with new resolutions !

And apparently gimbal design is quite a chore.

Doesn't matter to me. I could care less about 8K.

It appears to me the Hero 5 port is in the same place on the back and it also appears that is is the same (H x W) size but thinner. At minimum the clip that holds it in place will change and as R2F said to get it to work properly it needs balanced. Not sure if that is something they can completely overcome with software/firmware.

On top of all that the menus for the 5 are going to change with new resolutions !

And apparently gimbal design is quite a chore.

Doesn't matter to me. I could care less about 8K.
I didn't care about 1080 at one point. Then I didn't care about 4K. Now I don't care about 8K. But I bet I will :)

GoPro says it will work with existing clamps housings cables Guess they are wrong. You should call and let them know :)

We will see in 6 months :)

I didn't care about 1080 at one point. Then I didn't care about 4K. Now I don't care about 8K. But I bet I will :)

GoPro says it will work with existing clamps housings cables Guess they are wrong. You should call and let them know :)

We will see in 6 months :)

I am sure you are right about that. Someday 8K will be low resolution !

But you must not agree with my comment about suspecting its thinner? They have published that its a smaller form factor. Where do you think its smaller? The H x W really cant change or the lens and buttons will not line up with existing housing as you mentioned. Only logical thing to me is that is is thinner and will fit the existing housing with a H5 "shim" or something in the back.

I would have no issue with 8k except I am running a top of the line i7 that cries anytime I do extensive post to 4k. So dealing with a file 4 times the size does not sound appealing to me. LOL

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I am sure you are right about that. Someday 8K will be low resolution !

But you must not agree with my comment about suspecting its thinner? They have published that its a smaller form factor. Where do you think its smaller? The H x W really cant change or the lens and buttons will not line up with existing housing as you mentioned. Only logical thing to me is that is is thinner and will fit the existing housing with a H5 "shim" or something in the back.

I would have no issue with 8k except I am running a top of the line i7 that cries anytime I do extensive post to 4k. So dealing with a file 4 times the size does not sound appealing to me. LOL
Truthfully, I didn't ask that level of detail and didn't care. To far off for me to worry about. They told me they were backward compatible based on popularity of 3 and 4, fiom factor, and I took it at that.

For now, 4K is working for me and I don't see that changing in 6 months, so I figure I will deal with that then.

I am curious to know, where did you see that information?

I have MANY Hero's and work with a small video production company with some ties to GoPro development for VOC Yahhh.. yahh.. I know "inside" scoop and all that. It isn't that "inside" and there are likely thousands of companies in that boat..

I originally heard part of it when they held a development VOC conference call that I was able to sit in on, and those questions came up. I also recently (a month or two ago) called GoPro sales and explained what I knew and asked more about general backward compatibility of the planned 5, and they confirmed that it was going to be to be compatible with with 4 accessories...

Worth what you paid for it :) ... I believe that was also right at the announcement delay (that I posted here) which was more the focus of the call and so I don't know for sure if everything will show up or not. They gave all the same caveats in the call.

Like I said, only time will tell for sure.. I will look more closely as it gets closer. For now I have 5 hero 4's., and 2 Hero 3+'s so I am in pretty good shape :)

Last edited:
... creating a balanced adapter that mimics the GP3/4 balance on all axis as would be required for a gimal is quite another.
I just watched the Gimbal installation video and 3DR already have some "weight pills" that we can add on the Gimbal to balance each GoPro model. Maybe if we have a plastic case adapter for the H5, we will only need a bigger pills with more weight to balance everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Earldgrayjr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig