Very bad range and images from solo/GoPro

Reaction score
I'm in Vermont, and flew two identical runs, one with the solo/3dr setup, and the other with a Phantom 4.
The Solo lost signal at 300m, and the video was totally washed out. I saw a posting on here suggesting optimal settings for drone and camera, followed them, and ended up with garbage on a microchip.
Phantom 4 went out to 1km, and I still had 4 out of 5 bars for fpv and control signals. There was no dropout or video noise, and the images were beautiful, exposure was as it should be--- a wonderful experience.

I'm apparently doing something wrong. It would be fantastic if I could make the solo create video as nice as the Phantom, and I don't believe there's anything wrong with my equipment, so it has to be that settings were off from what they're supposed to be. Any ideas? Is anybody able to produce video from the solo/gphero4black equal to or better in quality than with the P4?

Any advice or links to fixing this problem are immensely appreciated--
Thanks from Douggieboy, in Vermont

Solo does not have the video range of the phantom, different communications. Solo uses standard 2.4ghz wifi, so you can put better antennas on controller, upgrade the wifi cards in controller and solo, or use a wifi booster on controller, personally i went with 12 inch 9db gain antennas from ebay/aliexpress and upgraded the wifi cards. I have done one flight and went out 600m without any loss of video signal. The picture you see on your ph/tab is lower quality than whats been recorded. Some are getting over 2km with mods.

Solo does not have the video range of the phantom, different communications. Solo uses standard 2.4ghz wifi, so you can put better antennas on controller, upgrade the wifi cards in controller and solo, or use a wifi booster on controller, personally i went with 12 inch 9db gain antennas from ebay/aliexpress and upgraded the wifi cards. I have done one flight and went out 600m without any loss of video signal. The picture you see on your ph/tab is lower quality than whats been recorded. Some are getting over 2km with mods.

Part of me wonders if the controller and solo couldn't be modified to use 5ghz either in place of or in concert with the 2.4ghz... That is a tried and true strategy in this arena, after all....

sigh
solo footage if shot with protune (like it should be) will look washed out on purpose
it is shot flat for post production grading.

P4 is most likely shooting all colored up ready to publish
just a matter of knowing the equipment

On the range thing, mine is solid 2000 feet away from me, and since LOS is the law of the land I really have no need for more range.
I guess for some remote filming is a thing
But as someone who shots for production I can usually get within 2000 feet of what I am shooting

Reactions: DJMc
As Genie said, 5.8GHz is shorter range than 2.4 but higher data rates. 2.4 GHz with MIMO is the best compromise for range and data throughput.
DJI is defiantly using some magic with the range they get on the 2.4GHz band, but then again they are not using WiFi protocol

I have a xiro xplorer with a 600m fly range, video is only 300m, had to upgrade/modify the antennas on that as it uses 5ghz for video and 2.4 for controller. Remember visual sight is your range so 400m is about it

Yes, it's shorter range, but also usually less crowded, especially in a medium-sized city. Being frequency agile might allow stronger signal than might otherwise be possible

With the FPVLR antenna I lose connection before the video drops out and this is usually past 3000' which is about the limit of my LOS. I do fly mostly in rural areas.

Reactions: cosmic explorer
5ghz is shorter range

I have a xiro xplorer with a 600m fly range, video is only 300m, had to upgrade/modify the antennas on that as it uses 5ghz for video and 2.4 for controller. Remember visual sight is your range so 400m is about it

Hi Genie
What antennas did you use to improve your Xiro Zplorer? I have a hubsan 501s which is also 2.4 and 5.8

Also and much more important. The range on my solos are terrible and I own several. Did you upgrade your antennas on the solo? Use amplifier?
I'm really frustrated with losing controller signal. She nearly lands before I get control again. RSSI is -30 when I'm right next to solo and quickly drops to high sixties and seventies less than 200 feet away. This is in the city yet my toy grade uav's do better.

Anyone have recommendations. I'd like to go with fpvlr with a San Hans amplifier yet that is pricey. Having second thoughts on my squadron of solos. Please help and thank you for your recommendations

Blue skies..

Has anyone purchased this antenna upgrade. I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_3664.PNG
    IMG_3664.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
DJI's Lightbridge (and even more so, it's successor, Occusync), have FAR greater range than Solo's wifi transmission, even with mods.

But a person has to ask themselves, do I need to get out that far to get the videos I want? After all, we are supposed to be within line-of-sight of our drones.

The GoPro can take just as good video/images as the smaller-sensored DJI products (Phantom 4 and below, plus Mavic and Spark)...or so close that there is never a clear winner.

The reasons to own the Solo are:

Smart shots...this is HUGE for the people that take advantage of it.
Very reasonable prices, esp if a person already owns a GoPro.
At least as capable as an all-around "drone" as a DJI product, and sometimes more so, (again, except for range).

The Phantom 3 advanced/pro are the low-cost way to get very good transmission range...so just go ahead and get one for those kinds of missions, and use Solo for most everything else.

--
Bill

Reactions: mbol4608
DJI's Lightbridge (and even more so, it's successor, Occusync), have FAR greater range than Solo's wifi transmission, even with mods.

But a person has to ask themselves, do I need to get out that far to get the videos I want? After all, we are supposed to be within line-of-sight of our drones.

The GoPro can take just as good video/images as the smaller-sensored DJI products (Phantom 4 and below, plus Mavic and Spark)...or so close that there is never a clear winner.

The reasons to own the Solo are:

Smart shots...this is HUGE for the people that take advantage of it.
Very reasonable prices, esp if a person already owns a GoPro.
At least as capable as an all-around "drone" as a DJI product, and sometimes more so, (again, except for range).

The Phantom 3 advanced/pro are the low-cost way to get very good transmission range...so just go ahead and get one for those kinds of missions, and use Solo for most everything else.

--
Bill

boost! cheap and works. I get easily 18,000 ft with alphas ,makes controller a little heavy , dual 4w amps 3s battery with alphas works great with the mimo .
this is easy cheap and works.
I would upgrade wifi cards as user said first . you can fly as far as battery allows.

I'm in Vermont, and flew two identical runs, one with the solo/3dr setup, and the other with a Phantom 4.
The Solo lost signal at 300m, and the video was totally washed out. I saw a posting on here suggesting optimal settings for drone and camera, followed them, and ended up with garbage on a microchip.
Phantom 4 went out to 1km, and I still had 4 out of 5 bars for fpv and control signals. There was no dropout or video noise, and the images were beautiful, exposure was as it should be--- a wonderful experience.

I'm apparently doing something wrong. It would be fantastic if I could make the solo create video as nice as the Phantom, and I don't believe there's anything wrong with my equipment, so it has to be that settings were off from what they're supposed to be. Any ideas? Is anybody able to produce video from the solo/gphero4black equal to or better in quality than with the P4?

Any advice or links to fixing this problem are immensely appreciated--
Thanks from Douggieboy, in Vermont

I replied on previous post for 70 $ you can fly for as far as you would like boost signal directional antenna and 4w booster on a small 3s battery. 4plus miles 3/4 mile radius not bad controller is heavier but for 20 mins its not significant. and new wifi card ,(more) power!. like I stated in earlier you can fly 4 to 6 miles more than battery can make on solos return.

I replied on previous post for 70 $ you can fly for as far as you would like boost signal directional antenna and 4w booster on a small 3s battery. 4plus miles 3/4 mile radius not bad controller is heavier but for 20 mins its not significant. and new wifi card ,(more) power!. like I stated in earlier you can fly 4 to 6 miles more than battery can make on solos return.

Mike, that's good info. And yeah, I didn't mean to say that the Solo is totally incapable of DJI range, just that for most people, DJI is a much simpler solution to flying far.

Bill

P. S. Could you link to your post describing your long range setup? Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo