User error - can't pair Solo to Controller

Reaction score
Today I finally decided to jump onboard Open Solo.
I successfully installed Open Solo 4.0.0 on my controller and copter.
As I was congratulating myself, I decided installing the ArdoCopter 4.0.3 for Stock Cube update would be smart
- it was not

Since installing that, my Solo boots without any sounds and all 4 lights are green. The controller says "waiting for solo." My smart phone is able to connect to the SoloLink wifi.

I tried factory reset using the Pair button during boot but that did not resolve it.

I removed the SD Card on the Solo and manually installed Open Solo 3.0.0 (I could not find the 4.0.0 files to install)

That did not resolve the issue, so I removed the SD Card from the controller and installed Open Solo 3.0.0 on that (thinking the versions might have to match in order to pair)

I have also tried using the SSWT button.

My controller still says "Open Solo 4.0.0" when it boots up.

When I try factory reseting my Copter, the orange light blinks rapidly as it should, but the 4 exterior lights remain green.
When I press the 'pair' button, the LEDs inside the copter near the pair button are steady green and slow blinking orange.

Inside the controller there are 3 LEDs - steady red, steady green and blinking orange.

I realize this issue is a result of error on my part, so any help is much appreciated.

Have I foolishly turned my Solo into rubbish, or is there another way anyone knows of that I can reset so I can pair and claw my way back into the air.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJMc
This afternoon I reset my controller which now boots with Open Solo 3.0.0.
My phone can connect to the SoloLink network, but the controller and the copter still won't pair.

The copter continues to startup without any sounds and all external lights are solid green.

Can you explain in detail what you did and how you did it when you went to install AC 4.0.3 ?

In the SidePilot app on my iPhone, in Help & Settings / 3DR Solo Setup / 3DR Solo Firmware Update

I downloaded the 3DR Solo Firmware Update Files:
Open Solo Update 4.0.0 Clean Install (Controller)
Open Solo Update 4.0.0 Clean Install (Copter)
Open Solo Update Factory Reset Partition (Controller)
Open Solo Update Factory Reset Partition (Copter)
ArduCopter 4.0.3 Update (Stock Cube)

Then I connected my iPhone to the soloLink and from that same menu, I installed the Controller 4.0.0 Clean Install.
Then without rebooting the Controller I installed the Copter 4.0.0 Clean Install.
- both installs showed the 'successful' message when complete.

Then I power cycled both the Copter and Controller.
They both booted up successfully - the controller started up, displaying the Open Solo splash screen and the copter started up making lots of new sounds and lights.

I pressed the 'pair' button on the copter, and the A button on the controller when promped and the 2 paired successfully.

Then I connected my phone to the soloLink, went into the Firmware Update menu and installed the Factory Reset (Copter) followed by the Factory Reset (Controller).

Then finally from the Firmware Update menu I chose to install the ArduCopter 4.0.3 Update (Stock Cube).

From that point on, when the solo starts up there are no sounds and the exterior lights are only solid green.

I have the same problem, my control does not detect the drone, the drone turns on normal :(

Have you tried repairing by pressing the reset button on the underneath of the Solo? I just updated last week from OS 3 to OS 4 and my sequence was.

1. Download Copter and Controller software using Solex.
2. Connect Solo to Solex and update Copter first, then Controller.
3. Once both are updated, using a paper clip reset the controller paring by pressing the reset button on the bottom of the solo behind the gimbal.

Do you mean the "SSWT" button? If so, I did do a reboot while holding it down, but didn't notice any effect. I could not find much information about that button, so used it similarly to the steps for resetting with the "Pair" button.

I also did the reset using the 'Pair' button but neither have resolved my issue - drone still starts up with solid green exterior lights and is not recognized by controller for pairing.

Thanks for that - it's good to understand what the SSWT button does.
From what I read on the link you provided, I will find instructions to connect my cube via USB.
Thank you for the helpful pointers.

this page seems have thorough instructions for connecting my Solo to my PC via USB so i can flash the software (as suggested in the link you provided above)

The page says the Solo should be in "safe working order" before I start and should not be "malfunctioning."

Is it safe and/or wise to connect my Solo to my PC with USB?
Is there a good chance it may make my Solo pair-able, even though installing OpenSolo 3.0.0 via the SD_Cards has not worked?

Does anyone know what the various internal LED colours and blink patterns mean?

Currently, when I start up my Solo (which remains with 4 solid green external LEDS)
the internal LEDS are as follows:
- on the cube: 1 solid orange and 1 rapidly blinking orange
- on the GPS (I think...front of the battery compartment): slow blinking green (off most of the time and flashes on approx. once per second)
- next to the 'Pair" button: 1 solid green and 1 slow blinking orange (mostly on and flashes off apron. once per second)

Always THOROUGHLY read the instructions. I'm fairly certain that the absolutely unnecessary install of The Arducopter 4.0.3 is the proverbial monkey wrench in the gears. That should NOT have been done. But you know all this already. I'm sure Matt will know best how to remedy this. If you are fortunate, he will chime in here soon, give you a well deserved reprimand and then hopefully give you the instructions you need.

In the meantime, somewhere in my fading brain cells I recall a similar conundrum I got myself into turning one mistake into two and so on.

There are two SD cards in the Solo. One in the IMX and one in the Cube.Eventually I had to either reseat the cube or the card inside the cube. I was finally able to restart the process. correctly.

All of this is strictly off the top of my head and is pure speculation. If someone can verify, please do so. I'm simply trying to help. Ive been grounded when wanting to fly and know the feeling.

One thing I don't understand is the missing installer files? Are you sure you didn't delete them? Is deletion automatic? I don't think so. Regardless, you should be able to download them again. Remember you have to connect to the internet via youR LAN to download the files and then switch back to Sololink to install them.

IF your controller says 4.0 then I would think the goal should be getting the copter on the same page.

You might also want to inquire in the Arducopter GitHub forum if you don't get the help you need here.

Last edited:
I wasn't able to find Open Solo 4.0.0 card images, so put 3.0.0 onto my controller and copter sd cards.

There was a time when I had only reverted the copter to 3.0.but since reverted the controller successfully also.

I'll read up on the card on the cube and see what I can learn in the Arcucopter GitHub forum as you suggest.

I appreciate the advice and time spent advising me.

Reactions: DJMc
I am not sure who Matt is, but I am losing hope that he has interest in chiming in on my situation.
At this point I am left few options...paying for repair or selling are the only things that come to mind.
After buying SidePilot I screwed up and did not get a single moment of fly time.

I am not sure who Matt is, but I am losing hope that he has interest in chiming in on my situation.
At this point I am left few options...paying for repair or selling are the only things that come to mind.
After buying SidePilot I screwed up and did not get a single moment of fly time.
Matt is @Pedals2Paddles

Where can I find open solo 4.0 clean install packages download .my adhd is preventing me today to find it

Hello can anyone help me ??? After long time when I take out my 3DR solo drone yesterday 3DR solo app was no longer available oN IOS. Please anyone can help and recommend any app for IOS plate-form.

Regards

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc