Unintended RTL - Could I have regained control?

Reaction score
My button A is 'Fly Manual' -- I moved my thumb to what I thought was Button A - pressed and held down. When I got the Buzz - I realized I was on the power button.

The Solo began a very slow climb, avoided the 150 year old pin oak, moved to the other side of the oak and began a very slow descent. It made a perfect landing.

While this was happening I managed to power on the controller - it was just luck that the Solo avoided the oak.

The controller did manage to reconnect with the Solo before it reached the ground. The very slow climb and descent gave enough time for this.

My question is - what should I have done to regain control of the Solo?

as soon as you have connection with the drone, just hit pause or fly and you should go back to controlling the drone

Reactions: jimloss
Probably not press and hold down the power button. After all, if you were trying to "fly manual", you'd just press the button and release, not press and hold down. Glad your solo wasn't hurt though, if you were recording when it happened you should post the video! Also... buy a lotto ticket you lucky sod!

Reactions: Wetstone
Nope - no video ... Yes, I'll buy a lotto ticket - really incredibly unbelievable DUMB luck.

Literally up one side of the tree and down the other - cleared the last lower branches by inches.

I learned NEVER take off near a tree - I'd been circling this tree (goofing off), crashed the Solo (no damage) - set it back on the ground without thinking about the tree above - and took off. So my landing site was definitely not ideal.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you expected. (Thankfully this experience came cheap.)

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Nope - no video ... Yes, I'll buy a lotto ticket - really incredibly unbelievable DUMB luck.

Literally up one side of the tree and down the other - cleared the last lower branches by inches.

I learned NEVER take off near a tree - I'd been circling this tree (goofing off), crashed the Solo (no damage) - set it back on the ground without thinking about the tree above - and took off. So my landing site was definitely not ideal.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you expected. (Thankfully this experience came cheap.)
Someone once told me no experience comes cheap.. Might not cost you money but every worthwhile bit of experience has a cost associated. Else it wouldn't be worth remembering.

Just food for thought. Glad your Solo came back safe.

I have to admit - the are "smart" and I've avoided all the automated bells and whistles.

This was my first RTL since I just didn't trust it.

I've been flying in Stabilize mode, taking off and landing manually. Practicing orientation and control with the controller. Camera occasionally - but my LG screen just isn't bright enough for use during the day.

The real cost here was watching the Solo "calmly" take over and start rising to perform the RTL -- absolutely certain that it was going to run smack dab into that big tree...(just_bruce, you are so right - It's a learning curve, until it's an invoice, then it's a mistake...). If it doesn't cost anything we tend to ignore it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc