The Difference Between a Quadcopter And a Drone

Del

Reaction score
i always wondered about this...just thought I would share for the beginners like me :)

The difference between a drone, UAV, and a quadcopter?

The term "drone" is lazy and inexact. However, it's also becoming like "Thermos"(TM) and "Kleenex" (TM): a common usage that most people would agree refers to X. In this case, "X" would be an unmanned aircraft, specific type undefined, but a blind flying robot of some sort. (I decline to accept the spinmeisters' attempt to call them "remotely piloted aircraft," since they have a habit of slipping their leashes and taking the pilot out of the equation way too often for my taste.)

Think of unmanned aircraft as being exactly the same as manned aircraft, but without the body or bodies inside. The only real difference is that there has to be a way of pointing them the way you want them to go from somewhere else, which for unmanned aircraft requires an electronic datalink of some type. So, unmanned aircraft might be fixed-wing airplanes, helicopters, lighter-than-air blimps, or some very creative hybrids.

Since they don't have to be built to carry the weight of a person, they can be built smaller and less expensively, with more of what they can do in terms of speed or lifting power devoted to carrying out a task of some type. They also can be built very large, capable of covering long distances or carrying very heavy payloads. The only limits are imagination and a plan for what you want to do with one.

A "quadcopter" is a generic term for a rotary-wing aircraft with four main rotor systems and no tail rotor. There's nothing that says it has to be unmanned, but common usage of the term these days has given it that implied qualifier. Also, "quadcopters" flown for hobby or recreational use (but certainly not for business, because that's not provided for in aviation rules yet) pretty much all come down at the small end of the size spectrum.

So:

1. It isn't wrong to call almost any kind of remotely or self-directed vehicle a "drone."
2. All unmanned aircraft may be considered "drones."
3. It's basically impossible to come up with a currently flying example of a quadcopter that isn't an unmanned aircraft (part of an "unmanned aircraft system") and therefore, at the end of the day... a drone.

I actually had this question on my mind and looked it up a few minutes ago.
"an unmanned aircraft or ship that can navigate autonomously, without human control or beyond line of sight."

Last edited:
A rose is a rose by any other name.

Personally I use "drone" and don't plan to change. ;-)

Here another I fonnd interesting..

The fundamental difference between the terms “drone” and “quadcopter” is one of characterization – drone is the general term used for all unmanned aerial vehicles, though quadcopter identifies with a particular set of drones with four engines that make lift for vertical takeoff through their propellers. Along these lines, an unmanned airplane shaped vehicle can be described as a drone alongside a quadcopter, yet a plane couldn’t likewise be classed as a quadcopter.

Another essential difference between them is that a typical drone has a GPS framework introduced in it unlike majority of the quadcopters. The best quadcopter is a controllable elevated vehicle, while a drone has segments that permit it to be independent, for example, a GPS that then makes it completely programmable and does not necessarily require any form of human control. Be that as it may, a few organizations are now actually creating quadcopters with a built in GPS framework.

Subsequently, it may not be wrong to say that the most recent quadcopters are a smaller version of a drone since they have practically all the features that are associated with the term “drone.”

A rose is a rose by any other name.

Personally I use "drone" and don't plan to change. ;-)

But I find the word "drone" sounds sooo evil.. specially when we've been seeing them for years on CNN new being used for the military to Spy and to fight wars!

"Quadcopter" sound a lot more Recreational and more attractive to me then "Drone" and a lot more sexier to..lol

Just saying..

I prefer Unmanned Aerial System as for what I have been trained to call them and how my University calls them. UAS nothing more!

If somebody were to ask me "is it a drone" or "nice quad copter" doesn't really matter to me. If I am in a sarcastic mood, I tell them it's an illuminati starter kit which I received as becoming a member of the elite .
I would also tell them it's for Chem trailing those hard to reach little nooks and crannies.

I would also tell them it's for Chem trailing those hard to reach little nooks and crannies.
You sir get a gold star.

gold-star3.jpg

Reactions: locutus

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig