Surf fishing maiden voyage in two days!

Like I said Kevin-
Crazy intelligent guys to the rescue!

Kevin, unsolicited advice:
Distilled/deionized water is an incredibly good solvent, especially for salts. I would wash the f out of the Solo with D.I water first. Like, really go at it. Get as much of the salts and other corrosive things off the board and traces as you can. You want to strip it bare, everything off, everything disconnected. The Pixhawk cube likely had water ingress as well, so strip that.

After a really thorough rinsing with D.I, your idea to wash with isopropyl is great.

After that, a long sit in desiccant with good airflow. Keep things exposed, nothing on top of anything else, nothing cramped. Surface area exposed to both the desiccant and the air are your allies.

Days drying are better than hours.

Good luck.
I still get DI water and wash it. Dumb question. Can I use it on the motor too?

No dumb questions in anything, ever.

That's tough... You don't want solvent getting into the bearings because it'll not lubricate well, though from what I gather the bearings are actually sealed, not shielded, so nothing should have gotten in there to begin with, and a very light wash shouldn't get in either...

You want to make sure the windings and other metallic components don't have crud from the dip in the ocean. I'd say D.I is fairly safe. I'm not sure if isopropyl would affect the glue on the windings, so I'd probably skip that. Someone with better mechanical knowledge would be better able to address that.

Maybe Rich would know?

No dumb questions in anything, ever.

That's tough... You don't want solvent getting into the bearings because it'll not lubricate well, though from what I gather the bearings are actually sealed, not shielded, so nothing should have gotten in there to begin with, and a very light wash shouldn't get in either...

You want to make sure the windings and other metallic components don't have crud from the dip in the ocean. I'd say D.I is fairly safe. I'm not sure if isopropyl would affect the glue on the windings, so I'd probably skip that. Someone with better mechanical knowledge would be better able to address that.

Maybe Rich would know?
To clarify. I can find the same distilled deionized water at walmart right? Or a department store ?
I'm seeing your main concern is my circuitry being washed, I can strip the casing off the motor and clean it instead?

I'm used to getting D.I from laboratory supply stores, but distilled is pretty much just as good. And yeah, distilled is anywhere groceries are sold.

Yeah, circuitry and conducting components like the windings in the motor (the exposed copper).

Reactions: Kevin15664
Buds, I started a convo with you re: the gimbal and a swap. Dunno if you've read it yet. I saw this post and thought I'd give you the wisdom of age and experience.here. Don't get your hopes up. Remember, the thing was in the salt water. The battery was on. The motors were fired up. You can scrub and wash and pray and drink chickenblood all ya want to.....won't make an ioda of difference.The only thing salvageable is basically the props and body. It blows chunks, I know. But sais la vie, dude. I don't know how to translate this ancient Indian saying but it goes something like, " Shit, Kimosabe. It happens"

Kevin already purchased two damaged Solos to strip and use- think he is on the right track. He also has a fine selection of 3 axis gimbals that he has no use for... just saying.

He’s a good guy looking to advance the surf fishing hobby- he may want to recooperate some of his funds- so if you have a reasonable offer, he may just be interested. Touch base with him...

He’s a good guy looking to advance the surf fishing hobby- he may want to recooperate some of his funds- so if you have a reasonable offer, he may just be interested. Touch base with him...
Once I get my new birds in town Salty Solo Fishing Fleet will rise from the ashes!...or sea water.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig