Speechless

Reaction score
I ordered my solo in May...when it arrived in July I was obviously very excited...live feed never worked...after many 3dr chats I sent solo back to have the hdmi wire replaced...they sent it back two weeks later...immediately tested live feed still nothing...they offer for me to send it back and send me out a brand new solo...brand new drone arrives three weeks later and again no live feed ( want to point out I tried the live feed on many devices to try to single out the problem in all three cases...I have go pro 4 black, even tested hdmi output on go pro to ensure that wasn't issue)...there solution is to take the drone apart or mail back to repair...repair?? It's a brand new solo?? This would mean two drones and over five weeks to address the same issue...I finally lose my cool and decided to mail back today and the gimbal arrives...irony

I ordered my solo in May...when it arrived in July I was obviously very excited...live feed never worked...after many 3dr chats I sent solo back to have the hdmi wire replaced...they sent it back two weeks later...immediately tested live feed still nothing...they offer for me to send it back and send me out a brand new solo...brand new drone arrives three weeks later and again no live feed ( want to point out I tried the live feed on many devices to try to single out the problem in all three cases...I have go pro 4 black, even tested hdmi output on go pro to ensure that wasn't issue)...there solution is to take the drone apart or mail back to repair...repair?? It's a brand new solo?? This would mean two drones and over five weeks to address the same issue...I finally lose my cool and decided to mail back today and the gimbal arrives...irony
There's one thing I don't really understand here..
When you sent your Solo to 3DR to replace the HDMI Cable...ill guaranteed that they would've tested that cable to make sure that it worked before sending it back to you..! Like really...why wouldint they Right !!
Then you got it back...then you sent it back again for finding the same issue !! So then they sent you a New Solo..and you still had no feed!!
This is process of elimination ..!! So now I find it hard to believe that's it's your Solo giving you this grief !
I think it's pointing more towards the GoPro in my opinion !!
It could be as easy as a simple Settings sometimes..

I have the mindset that anything can be fixed ... Just got to troubleshoot and problem-solve and find the problem at its source.. When joining a hobby you gotta have lots of patience and have a love for Tinkering..

just Saying..

Brand new to this whole thing. I've had my solo for about 6 days, and am using the GoPro4 Black. Gimbal is ordered.

I've only flown about a dozen times so far, and from the first time to connect the HDMI to the 4, there has been hit or miss connection and getting a picture to the phone screen. I haven't had my first crash yet so I didn't cause this problem. The HDMI cable on the solo doesn't fit "snug" into the port on the camera. There is a fair amount of "sloppiness." I picked up an HDMI cable today to connect the camera to my TV. Same problem during playback. I can wiggle the cable and the picture comes and goes on the TV. I'm thinking I can place a small piece of folded paper on one side of the port and get the connection "tighter."

Since all these components are virtually new, they shouldn't have this problem nor need my tinkering with them to this degree in my opinion.

With all that said, I'm thinking Del is on target with his reply. It's your camera.

I've also emailed GoPro and am waiting on their solution. Needless to say, I'm NOT impressed so far with GoPro's product.

Reactions: Del
I have 2 solos and both the live feeds are terrible. They cut out constantly depending on how its rotated. The HD video down is definitely not as good as lightbridge.

Brand new to this whole thing. I've had my solo for about 6 days, and am using the GoPro4 Black. Gimbal is ordered.

I've only flown about a dozen times so far, and from the first time to connect the HDMI to the 4, there has been hit or miss connection and getting a picture to the phone screen. I haven't had my first crash yet so I didn't cause this problem. The HDMI cable on the solo doesn't fit "snug" into the port on the camera. There is a fair amount of "sloppiness." I picked up an HDMI cable today to connect the camera to my TV. Same problem during playback. I can wiggle the cable and the picture comes and goes on the TV. I'm thinking I can place a small piece of folded paper on one side of the port and get the connection "tighter."

Since all these components are virtually new, they shouldn't have this problem nor need my tinkering with them to this degree in my opinion.

With all that said, I'm thinking Del is on target with his reply. It's your camera.

I've also emailed GoPro and am waiting on their solution. Needless to say, I'm NOT impressed so far with GoPro's product.

I have the 4 silver and the HDMI port is tight- no cable wiggle at all. I think you got a bad port on yours. :-(

I have the 4 silver and the HDMI port is tight- no cable wiggle at all. I think you got a bad port on yours. :-(
I also do not have any problems with HDMI cable or port after I hear/feel "snap". Have you tried the HDMI port on the controller? I would try that. You may need to buy a cable that fits, then plug it in to a TV set. See if that works. If it does, that that bring you back to either gopro or micro HDMI cable.

Sent from the 4th dimension using my Nexus 6

This may be obvious, but... have you set your GoPro to medium view?

Only a couple of times did I not get a live video feed but once I followed the startup protocol I was good. I'm powered up the bird with the gimbal a few times and video feed pops right up. I'm using a GoPro 4Black.

I will also admit that I haven't experienced a lot of the issues that others have been experiencing with their solo.

I also do not have any problems with HDMI cable or port after I hear/feel "snap". Have you tried the HDMI port on the controller? I would try that. You may need to buy a cable that fits, then plug it in to a TV set. See if that works. If it does, that that bring you back to either gopro or micro HDMI cable.

Thanks Steve
. Luckily, I'm mechanically minded, and was hoping for the "snap" too, but never felt one. The adapter cable for connecting to the TV from the GoPro is snug on the controller port. I didn't realize there are different size HDMI mini cables. I assumed mini was a specific size?

Thanks Steve
. Luckily, I'm mechanically minded, and was hoping for the "snap" too, but never felt one. The adapter cable for connecting to the TV from the GoPro is snug on the controller port. I didn't realize there are different size HDMI mini cables. I assumed mini was a specific size?
I think it goes like micro, mini then standard. Not for sure. Best buy should have them.
As for snap, I think that only happens when the plug clears the plastic camera Holder. But just to test, insert HDMI into camera while it is out of there Holder. This makes sure that it not just not fitting in correctly. Hope this helps.

From what I understand, FOV must be set to medium to stream video correctly.

I think it goes like micro, mini then standard. Not for sure. Best buy should have them.
As for snap, I think that only happens when the plug clears the plastic camera Holder. But just to test, insert HDMI into camera while it is out of there Holder. This makes sure that it not just not fitting in correctly. Hope this helps.

Thanks again Steve,
Your size progression is correct.Micro, mini then standard. And your comments have helped. I checked the camera manual before buying the cable, and the port is a micro. So is the male plug on the SOLO. I used some small pliers to slightly close the SOLO plug and flew this AM. No loss of video feed for the first time was today. Since your silver has a snug fit, I'm thinking my camera is a lemon. I'm waiting on the GoPro people to answer my email tomorrow during biz hours and can give a follow up here at that time. Y

From what I understand, FOV must be set to medium to stream video correctly.
Seems the manual says medium give the best results. I had the GP4 on 4K res yesterday and got great vid, except that the playback was choppy due to the monitor not being 4K compatible.

The real issue I'm having is that the port on the camera is sloppy and when I wiggle the SOLO's plug the picture(feed) comes and goes. See my post above re: squeezing the plug fix.

Thanks for your help!!

Yep, I understand your problem - I've seen it before in other devices, from tablets to camcorders. Sometimes the "hood" covering the plug itself is just a little too long, and the plug doesn't seat fully. For most other uses you could just switch cables, but for this you'd need to shorten the hood itself. Xacto knife maybe?

Thanks again Steve,
Your size progression is correct.Micro, mini then standard. And your comments have helped. I checked the camera manual before buying the cable, and the port is a micro. So is the male plug on the SOLO. I used some small pliers to slightly close the SOLO plug and flew this AM. No loss of video feed for the first time was today. Since your silver has a snug fit, I'm thinking my camera is a lemon. I'm waiting on the GoPro people to answer my email tomorrow during biz hours and can give a follow up here at that time. Y
No problem there Santa.
I read that fellow member had a problem with HDMI connector on the GoPro, he actually pull it out of the camera! He also was trying to figure out why no video. GoPro replaced the camera with problem. Seems to me that GoPro had a history with this HDMI receptor.
So yes. Inform gopro about the problem also.

Reactions: Diving Santa
Yep, I understand your problem - I've seen it before in other devices, from tablets to camcorders. Sometimes the "hood" covering the plug itself is just a little too long, and the plug doesn't seat fully. For most other uses you could just switch cables, but for this you'd need to shorten the hood itself. Xacto knife maybe?
Thanks for the idea. I took a small plastic toothpick and tried to gauge the depth of each component before cutting anything permanently, but the parts are too small for my fingers. Decided to trim the TV cable since was the least expensive if I messed it up. turns out the plug is going in to full depth. I tried the squeeze fix on the same cable and had some improvement, but still lose signal if I just barely move it. Looks like it is the cam damera. Lets see if GoPro stands behind their product. Thanks to all for your input!!!IMG_2509.JPG

No problem there Santa.
I read that fellow member had a problem with HDMI connector on the GoPro, he actually pull it out of the camera! He also was trying to figure out why no video. GoPro replaced the camera with problem. Seems to me that GoPro had a history with this HDMI receptor.
So yes. Inform gopro about the problem also.

Steve,
Thanks for the advice. Sent GP the camera and within a week had the new one, and they threw in a battery to boot!! Plugged in the new cam to several different HDMI micro cables and the new cam has the normal "click" where the original didn't. Flew with it and had zero problems. I'm well impressed with GP customer service.

Now, if that darn gimbal would arrive......

Steve,
Thanks for the advice. Sent GP the camera and within a week had the new one, and they threw in a battery to boot!! Plugged in the new cam to several different HDMI micro cables and the new cam has the normal "click" where the original didn't. Flew with it and had zero problems. I'm well impressed with GP customer service.

Now, if that darn gimbal would arrive......
Glad to hear you had a good experience with your GP problem. I'm sure you will enjoy your Gimbal also.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44