Sony RX0

Why on earth not? It's waterproof, shock-resistant, and dustproof. Sounds like the PERFECT camera to sling underneath a SOLO.

Now , if Sony would release details on how to interact with the camera for settings over either USB or Bluetooth, then we'd be getting somewhere. I'm beginning to think designing a gimbal might not be a bad idea...

Reactions: jimloss
That's a perfect camera. Look at the specs:
1-inch, 15.3-megapixel Exmor RS CMOS sensor and a fixed Zeiss 24mm F4 wide-angle lens, giving it the same kind of high image quality you'd see with a new RX100 Mark V, for instance. It can also shoot 4K video, full HD at 240 fps and 16 fps RAW still images.
And only 3.9 oz!

Available in October. Get to work Bruce - you've got one month to make a gimbal to support it!:)

Reactions: RichWest
That's a perfect camera. Look at the specs:
1-inch, 15.3-megapixel Exmor RS CMOS sensor and a fixed Zeiss 24mm F4 wide-angle lens, giving it the same kind of high image quality you'd see with a new RX100 Mark V, for instance. It can also shoot 4K video, full HD at 240 fps and 16 fps RAW still images.
And only 3.9 oz!

Available in October. Get to work Bruce - you've got one month to make a gimbal to support it!:)

As noted, the most important part here would be to have Sony release details of how to control it over USB or Bluetooth. Gimbal stabilization already has at least two usable open source projectd, though they would need MAVLink support added in, and then encoder support to have a chance to work with smart shots.

As to the external recorder, I'm betting that it's just an SSD. Which means if you have a fast enough set of microSD cards, it's just an adapter away (RAIDed together for super-fast writes)

What would you bet on? It's just a data sink, and it has to be fast to handle 4K, which points toward a RAID or otherwise striped arrangement. Why would Sony reinvent the wheel?

I think I'm gonna sell some stuff so I can get one to play with. Who wants to buy a backup SOLO kit or two? :D

What would you bet on? It's just a data sink, and it has to be fast to handle 4K, which points toward a RAID or otherwise striped arrangement. Why would Sony reinvent the wheel?
the 4.4.2 does not require special handling? You may be onto something. I did some research on recording video out on my GX85 and it pointed to heavy and expensive recorders

I'd buy the camera for just the high speed aspect.

Priority:240fps/250fps(1,676x942),480fps/500fps(1,676x566),960fps/1000fps(1,136x384)
50M(1,920x1,080/960fps) / 30p

Sony RX0 1.0-type sensor ultra-compact camera with waterproof and shockproof design
Perfect for slow mo, I am guessing they will add more features. If you could get anything higher than 1080p on the card I would jump. I was willing to buy one of those black magic micros with RC control if they ever upped it past 1080

Nope. The uncompressed bitstream will fill GB quickly, but that's true of any digital format. If one wants encoding and compression, it gets a bit more involved, but I'd just as well do the encoding compression later on the ground, anyways. SDcards are relatively cheap these days.

no internal 4K on a $700 camera in 2017 = 1st gen cash grab

and clean HDMI defeats the purpose of a rugged waterproof cam

this is coming from someone who owns the latest cameras from each of Sony's sensor size (with the exception of a9)

as far as I know, 4K recording is only possible by externally recording of the clean 4K HDMI output. So you'll need an Atomos-style recorder, not just a medium

that is my understanding, no disrespect to the SD card solution but if that could be done. Someone would be cashing in

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl