Sometimes Asking Doesn't Help

Reaction score
About a year ago, I wanted to fly and get some shots at Wind Wolf Preserve, which is a huge nature and wildlife preserve about 30 minutes from where I live, so I called to make sure it was ok to do so. I was told they had never had that question asked, and they would talk to the powers to be, and call me back. I got a call from them a couple of days later, and they said until they have some sort of rules in place governing such activities, they would not allow it. I thanked them, and told them I would check back. Well, today I checked back, and got a whole different attitude. I was told there is absolutely no drones allowed anywhere on the preserve, and they would not even consider it, even if discussed further. I asked why, and was told they didn't want any wildlife disturbed, and they also worried about a drone crashing into a tree and getting stuck. I can understand and appreciate the wildlife part, but a drone in a tree seemed to be her main concern. It makes me think that other drones have flown there without asking first and caused them problems. The attitude change from last year to now, sure seems to point that out. So, that is one local area that can't be added to my bucket list. Too bad...:(

I've found its easy to ask forgiveness later rather than permission first. As long as you are not violating any FAA rules. I've had County and State Rangers tell me they don't like those things ( Drones ) flying because of wildlife. So I just stopped asking.

Since it's only 30 minutes, load up and go meet face to face. People tend to be more cordial when in person. If anything you can discuss what you are trying to "offer" by flying the preserve and how you'll make an effort not to disturb the animals or trees. You know the drill, kill them kindness...

Since it's only 30 minutes, load up and go meet face to face. People tend to be more cordial when in person. If anything you can discuss what you are trying to "offer" by flying the preserve and how you'll make an effort not to disturb the animals or trees. You know the drill, kill them kindness...
My plan exactly. A lot of times, the people who actually work at the site are more friendly than the office bosses. If they say no flying when I get there, I can just use my digital camera to get some shots. At any rate, it will be a nice drive, and a nice diversion from "honey do" things around the house....:D

Reactions: RichWest
Careful with the forgiveness part, especially in nature preserve areas. I"m a professional photographer, and had been using a nature preserve for several years for family photos, etc with never a problem. But finally, while doing an engagement session and having the couple sitting in the dead tall grass about 10 feet off the trail, a ranger came over and was pulling out his ticket book to write us EACH a $1,300 ticket for being off trail. Thankfully, we were cordial with him, he was understanding, and it went down to "ok, no fine, but delete all the photos off your memory card", which I was going to happily comply with as I could go home and use a recovery program to bring them all back. After some more chit-chat, he went down to "ok, keep the photos but just don't tag the nature preserve if you post them online". So luckily we were safe in the end, but it could have been a $4,000 mistake. Sometimes it's better to ask permission than to risk it.

The parks I fly at are State and County beaches. I fly early in the morning and not around people. The Rangers excuse has been the drones noise may scare the birds. Yet groups of Harleys regularly come into the parking lots 30 feet from the beach. I set up below the High tide line on the beach, do my flight and leave. They would not have a leg to stand to bring any complaint against me. I have never been asked to leave or had a problem. When I tried once to ask permission I was told " We don't like those things". They could not give me any ordinance or law preventing me from doing so. I'm not a trouble maker, just tired of people making up rules that don't exist.

Reactions: dmyhill

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig