Solo Wont Record Video

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals,

So when I hit the record button on my phone to start recording on the 3DR app (iphone) the screen goes blank and I lose connection to live video feed. I can take photos just fine but the video wont record. I notice that when I hit the record button on the app the gopro just turns off. Thanks for all the help!

Usually this is down to either an overheating GoPro or a poorly chosen [i.e. crappy] MicroSD card. Change the card for a name brand one and try again.

Usually this is down to either an overheating GoPro or a poorly chosen [i.e. crappy] MicroSD card. Change the card for a name brand one and try again.

Thanks for the info but it just does it immediately when I press record but doesnt do it with photos.. I also wanted to add that I run this without the battery in the gopro.. The MicroSD card that I use is SanDisk Extreme Plus 32GB. I didnt have trouble with this one card previously. Any other info would be amazing.

There are two workarounds to that problem which work for me. (1) After the live video feed goes blank, while the GoPro is recording (blindly), exit the app and restart it. The live video feed (already in progress) should reappear. (2) Try a lower video resolution. A known bug causes high video resolutions to make the live video feed go blank. I keep my video setting at 1920×1080, which doesn't go blank when the record button is pressed, but which mode you;ll need depends on which GoPro model you have and which firmware version it has. Good luck, and please let us know if either, both, or neither of the above workarounds work for you.

Hi Guys and Gals,

So when I hit the record button on my phone to start recording on the 3DR app (iphone) the screen goes blank and I lose connection to live video feed. I can take photos just fine but the video wont record. I notice that when I hit the record button on the app the gopro just turns off. Thanks for all the help!

Hi!
It worked normal with the iPhone up to iOS 10.3.3 - after that it did not work. What you can do is go out of the APP and then restart the APP again. But as I said after the iOS 10.3.3 Apple updated your iPhone, but the Solo has not been updated after 3DR stopped selling Solo.

I didnt have trouble with this one card previously.
Did you try another card? I've had a couple go bad, SanDisk will work with you if they do go bad.

I also wanted to add that I run this without the battery in the gopro.

Why run without battery? The 9 seconds of extra flight time that important?

I've heard it done, but running the GP without battery is a hit or miss based on the charging circuitry inside GP. I remember a few having heating issues complaining the battery would not maintain well in the gimbal, ie perceived gimbal charging issue, which were false. More times than not, the microSD has been the issue for most users. Recording 4K or 2.7K is fairly demanding, why you are using a fast card like U3...anything less is crap.

As always, mo info, mo better. Funny you never mention what version of GP...

Howdy Bruce and Joe!

Ok so just ran it and it seems like if I changed it to 1080 it works but I want to record in a higher resolution so this sucks. The drone is up to date and so is the GP. The MicroSD card that I use is SanDisk Extreme Plus 32GB which is U3. Is this a crappy card? I did notice that a corrupted file logo does show up sometimes, could this be the issue? My iphone is updated to most current which could also be an issue.

Long story short, its working with it turned down to 1080 which isnt really a fix for me since I want better quality videos.. Please help!

Extreme Plus is what I use at 2.7K60. If you are getting a SD card error message, then obviously an issue at the card...maybe. You are playing a process of elimination, all advice given is valid to narrowing down to an answer. This aint rocket science...;)

Last edited:
So tried shooting off the 3DR and it shoots in 4k with no problems but once its on the 3DR then it will shut off with anything above 1080. I am going to try to run a battery while shooting on the 3DR and see if this helps. Thanks for all the help you all.

Video Recording + downconversion for output on the HDMI connector is actually about 2.5x more taxing on the GoPro's tiny little processor than "just" Recording. Add to that the comms with the Solo and if you have even a slightly degraded card the processor has to choose something to cut out. Away goes your HDMI output.

Reactions: RichWest
Video Recording + downconversion for output on the HDMI connector is actually about 2.5x more taxing on the GoPro's tiny little processor than "just" Recording. Add to that the comms with the Solo and if you have even a slightly degraded card the processor has to choose something to cut out. Away goes your HDMI output.
It's interesting that it works at all...all the pieces have to align relatively close.

Here's GP's info on the HDMI out... I never knew the details before...

@just_bruce I have no reference, but is there an end of life for thermal compound? My GP seems to run well, but now wondering after four years of use does it need a little servicing or maybe a aint broke, don't fix it moments.

Thermal compound CAN have a service life. It depends on what it's base is [water/gelatin base has a shorter service life than oil base. Silicone base has a service life measured in decades, but is muuch more expensive], what the thermal transfer doping agent is, and what the conditions of it's service life are. Dry, dusty exposure tends to kill most thermal compound fastest, followed by humid and salty air.

I'd wait til the GP shows signs of thermal malfunction. There is an awful lot to go wrong when taking apart and putting back together. But that is just my opinion.

Reactions: RichWest

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela