SOLO updates 8/17/15

Reaction score
Ok, got tired of waiting for an update on social media so I called 3DR and talked directly to a representative about some of the issues.
Here are a few updates (if you can call them that)

-Gimbal update:
No gimbals have been shipped out. They expect to be shipped out at the end of this week or early next week( same answer we got two weeks ago)
I was told however that customers who pre-ordered through 3DR directly will have the first ones available and once they're caught up (or close to it )then the shipments will go out to the other resellers B&H, DSLR pros ,Best Buy ,etc . So where you ordered from conceivably makes a difference when you get it.
-2nd
Android app.
Still no update on when Android users will be able to record directly to camera roll. They say that they still plan on this being a feature for Android users and it's in the works, but still no idea on timing.
-3rd
SOLO flight simulator.
No real news here, except they still are still expecting it to become part of the solo app directly, although unsure on when that may actually come to fruition.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Sir Wrexalot. Been wanting to call just haven't had the time when I think about it. Sounds like you asked the right questions, but still no straight answers..

I'm starting to think I should have just built my on Quad or Hexcopter. I was really hoping to have a aerial photography tool before I head to St. Thomas but chances of this happening are slim.

I wouldn't think all the gimbals preordered from 3dr would go out first. If you go on their website it states 6 to 8 weeks if ordered now. Some of us have had preorders with dealers since April.

Reactions: prowler9
Wow anybody still say it's only been one delay now, I gave up on having stable solo vids this summer, be lucky if it's by next if this keeps up. Still keeping it but my patience is long gone, this is a bad joke and I won't be so quick to jump on their next offering.

Disappointment is the word of the day, only plus is customer service has proven they know very little about this stuff and given total opposite answers to each update we've seen so hopefully their full of it making up stories like every other time someone's asked. Still think one day solo will be one of the best on the market but God knows when, my very high opinion of 3dr is taking a hit every failed date. What can ya do though, fly safe.

Maybe we should start a movement that they ship extra parts with the Gimbal as a thank you for waiting so long with us! I mean would it kill them to randomly send an extra motor, battery, blades with the Gimbal, think what kind of positive PR they would get by doing that. It would be like Christmas opening up your Gimbal to find an extra ___ in the box. At least for the the people who have been waiting, not new orders once they start to ship.
Just a thought :)

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Maybe we should start a movement that they ship extra parts with the Gimbal as a thank you for waiting so long with us! I mean would it kill them to randomly send an extra motor, battery, blades with the Gimbal, think what kind of positive PR they would get by doing that. It would be like Christmas opening up your Gimbal to find an extra ___ in the box. At least for the the people who have been waiting, not new orders once they start to ship.
Just a thought :)

Maybe they will send a free lanyard :D

3DR is hiring like crazy in Berkley CA. They might be ready for NAB 2016 and have this Gimbal thing licked by then :)

3DR are shipping gimbals direct via airmail from the plant in China, so I'm sure some customers will have them before stores.

My patience, for one, is certainly being tested. Its not the delay so much but the lack of information and the constant marketing blitz from 3DR saying "get great shots on day one". Yeah? How am I going to get great shots on day one? I am between day 60 and 90 of my Solo ownership and not a single video yet (except useless video of course)

I also have not even pre-ordered the gimbal yet as I get a substantial discount from a retailer, which means I am going to be SOL for the first few batches or else pay more, which I am not willing to do at this point (I had no idea 2 months ago that it would turn into this fiasco or I would have pre-ordered from 3DR and eaten the extra cost).

Love my Solo, but 3DR is losing cred in my eyes. Also they already have tons of hobby shop owners against them, not carrying them, claiming their margins are too thin and customer service horrible.

thanks for the updates anyhow (or lack thereof)

Last edited:
I'd have to agree 3DR communication has been poor, really they need to tie up their customer service and marketing team to be able to work together, keeping customers in the picture, especially in the face of delays and also to communicate about what issues are valid and what the right approach is to address those.

It does have to be said, on the plus side, I think 3DR and their staff deserve credit for getting involved where they can on social media, the likes of the Mod Club on Facebook have really helped people get more from their Solos.

I'm getting PO'ed about the lack of communication as well. One of the main reason's I choose the Solo was because of all the horror stories about DJI's customer service but I'm not getting the warm and fuzzies from 3DR either.

It's simple really (they have email and social media campaign's so use it). Gimbal's are being produced, gimbal's have been shipped from China to major retailers and those that ordered direct from 3DR and should arrive within the next 40 days, if they don't arrive in that time period send out another communication to YOUR customers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44