Solo repair after getting wet - advice needed!

Reaction score
I was doing a shoot with my solo whilst it started to rain very lightly.
Against my better judgement I continued to fly for a minute or two before landing without issue but afterwards I noticed the Solo would not remain powered up when I put a fresh battery in.
(I press the power button, battery lights cycle and then come on, then there is a dull click sound and the battery turns itself off).

There was a very small amount of water inside the battery compartment underneath the battery and based on that I decided to order a new mainboard. Once installed and the solo back together, the exact same symptoms remain.

I tried connecting a USB cable to the Cube itself whilst I had the mainboard removed from the solo and I got lights and tones as if everything was OK.

I know the gimbal is fine as I have moved it to my back-up Solo and used it without issue. I'm assuming ESCs, GPS and motors are not the issue so that presumably leaves the IMX board as possibly what's damaged?

Any suggestions on next steps/troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Coastwise
Just tried disconnecting the ESC ribbon cables and the IMX board and when powering up it still shuts itself down as before.
This has me properly stumped as I've effectively changed or disconnected all the possible components and it is still shutting itself down after swapping the main board for a new one.

Confused!

open the solo you have a direct short somewhere, that click you hear is a dead give away... disconnect the motor pod power wires and try again, make sure you isolate the power wires so they do not arc while testing, if it boots reconnect each pod power wire one at a time to narrow down the faulty one... If its not the the ESC's it's the Pixhawk.....

Last edited:
Reactions: bassmission
open the solo you have a direct short somewhere, that click you hear is a dead give away... disconnect the motor pod power wires and try again, make sure you isolate the power wires so they do not arc while testing, if it boots reconnect each pod power wire one at a time to narrow down the faulty one... If its not the the ESC's it's the Pixhawk.....

You are spot on. After disconnecting the IMX board and also the cube itself and discovering the problem remained, I pulled the power leads from the back right motor (chosen at random) and then tried to power it up and it booted up fine!

New clockwise motor pod sourced and on way, hopefully that is all that is required to get it back in the air - haven't checked the video feed works yet but I can get the other 3 motors to spin up and control them with the remote so seems promising!

Cheers :)

Reactions: XevetS
I've noticed the soldering work on the main board and ESCs isn't the best I've seen. Some of the contamination could be contributing to a short. Sloppy soldering can be cleaned up somewhat with a very small stiff metal brush, very carefully of course. (A sealant coating would have been a nice touch.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea