Solo over Lake Tahoe Hills

Reaction score
Flew my Solo up in the Lake Tahoe hills. I was supposed to shoot video of our niece's wedding but a firmware update was just loaded and I didn't want to take a chance on any mishaps ruining the wedding ceremony. So instead, took it up for a flight the day after from the cabin we were staying at. There was a bit of gusty winds above the tree line but it flew extremely well both above and below the treeline and even next to the cabin without any issues. I took off and landed from the 2nd floor deck. Did some flying around and one selfie that went perfectly.

Even without the gimbal, the video was quite good with no jello. This is raw video with no post production/stabilization. The breeze started picking up towards the end so I cut my flight short. After 8+ minutes of flight I still had roughly 65% on my battery.

Enjoy!

Ceiling set to 150 feet
Speed set to medium
Firmware ver. 1.05
Satellite lock: 11
Tablet Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

3DR Solo above Lake Tahoe tree line:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

nice!

word of advice - never set your altitude to something other than 400 feet, especially if there are obstacles around you that are higher than you. i made that mistake and lost my solo over a roof as it hit the 23ft altitude limit, paused, then started to return home.

especially w/ those trees, better to have the option of pulling up to avoid obstacles rather than pausing and going in-app to adjust altitude settings.

Good advice. I didn't think of that since I was having too much fun flying around the trees. Kind of forces you to hone your obstacle avoidance skills whether you like it or not. But it was a blast getting as close to the tree tops as I could at one point.

The 150ft ceiling gave me plenty of space above the tree line.

Last edited:
not relying on FPV is the first part of learning how to fly. i need so much altitude just to make a circle, while my coworker can do it within 5 square feet.

also, be wary of birds that get spooked and fly OUT of the trees. only nature has obstacles that come OUT of obstacles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo