Solo on a plane to Jamaica???

Reaction score
LAX to Jamaica (Next week) and I have gotten all kinds of mixed messages from each airline (Copa and Spirit) website doesn't specifically list drone as "no" but it doesn't list it at "yes" either. Pretty much same thing when I call each airline. Phone reps pretty much just say no drones i think as a precautionary. i don't know?

I have a week before i touch down in Jamacia and thought of mailing it but Sandles say NO WAY to receiving packages or will call.

I have pulled solo apart to make it look more innocent/ took off legs, gimbal, battery and blades. Even put masking tap on it and wrote "Broken" to avoid duty, resale, another country issues.

2 batts will be wrapped and go as carry on. Stripped drone, props and everything else for checked baggage under plane. (prop blades can be seen as a weapon)

Do they go though checked bags in front of customer? Ive heard of customs confiscating drones. Or holding them for lots of money until i return from trip.

Drone is for a destination wedding. I thought of contacting venue coordinator and see if she would make exception and accept it on behalf of bridal couple.

I have heard its not a good idea to ship valuable to Jamaica... no zip code and tracking a packages may be difficult.

Dam i want my Solo with me in Jamaica!!!!!

Can anybody help or advise?

Keep your bird in your carry on. The baggage handlers on my return trip from France managed to break 3 props and a spare motor pod INSIDE a GPC case. Put your props in the bag if you really are concerned about them being viewed as a weapon [I've never had this be an issue,FWIW] but *keep your bird and electronics as your carry on*

My $.02

LAX to Jamaica (Next week) and I have gotten all kinds of mixed messages from each airline (Copa and Spirit) website doesn't specifically list drone as "no" but it doesn't list it at "yes" either. Pretty much same thing when I call each airline. Phone reps pretty much just say no drones i think as a precautionary. i don't know?

I have a week before i touch down in Jamacia and thought of mailing it but Sandles say NO WAY to receiving packages or will call.

I have pulled solo apart to make it look more innocent/ took off legs, gimbal, battery and blades. Even put masking tap on it and wrote "Broken" to avoid duty, resale, another country issues.

2 batts will be wrapped and go as carry on. Stripped drone, props and everything else for checked baggage under plane. (prop blades can be seen as a weapon)

Do they go though checked bags in front of customer? Ive heard of customs confiscating drones. Or holding them for lots of money until i return from trip.

Drone is for a destination wedding. I thought of contacting venue coordinator and see if she would make exception and accept it on behalf of bridal couple.

I have heard its not a good idea to ship valuable to Jamaica... no zip code and tracking a packages may be difficult.

Dam i want my Solo with me in Jamaica!!!!!

Can anybody help or advise?

I did this to St. Lucia, On Delta in 2016, I have the hard case and just checked it. make sure none of the batteries including the one in the remote are connected and use a TSA lock.
Sandals didnt bother me, but I only flew on the resort beach early in the morning.
However....
I did get called to security after checking it on my way home.
And by security I mean some hole under the airport with a small table and two men In jungle camo with Sub machine guns, and two more questioning me.
You better be prepared, honest , and clear about what you have and what youre doing.
I was about one answer away from a cavity search.

and honestly, for something like this put it all in one case so it can all be explained together. Keep saying photography and multirotor.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with writing a big label saying "Broken" on your drone, that's just going to raise more questions (Why are you bringing a broken drone with you on holiday?). They may want to do a closer inspection. All you need is a receipt or proof of purchase (whether it be credit card, paper, email from ebay or an email between you and the buyer) and that's enough proof to avoid any tax issues.

The airline doesn't check the contents of your bags, TSA do, and as far as they are concerned the only rule is that the batteries have to go in your carry on and not your checked luggage. I would also but a healthy looking piece of electrical tape over the contacts (but nothing that can gum them up). Just make sure that the area you're visiting doesn't have restrictive or prohibitive drone laws in place.

As a born Jamaican and a current US citizen with multiple Solo's I can tell you there is no issue bringing it there. As a tourist they won't bother you much. Customs in Jamaica is weird. If you join the line "items to declare" they open your bags right in front of you. They are usually mostly just excited to see a fancy expensive toy. You are allowed up to $500 worth of electronics duty free in Jamaica.
Declare it or not on your customs form (I've done both) if you don't declare anything you get to your vacation faster (shorter line) if you do declare continue reading.. Sometimes customs will give you a sticker at customs (to put on any expensive electronics drones, laptops etc) that will be leaving the country with you (I.e you won't be leaving/selling it in Jamaica) that same sticker trip they asked me for a $300 deposit. I put it on a credit card. Got it back the day I left. Besides that I've had over 6 trips with no issue. Most trips didn't even ask me to open my solo backpack. I'll re-iterate "If you're flying into Montego Bay, they are more interested in getting you OUT of the airport so you can start spending your tourist dollars...."
Btw someone rrecommended checking it. DONT!
Most airlines Forbid you to check Lipo's. Airplaine cargo holds while pressurized are usually in the 30-40 degree range. Lipo's are sentive to temps. I don't know about you but these batteries are hard enough to find so I treat them with absolute care. Btw bring lots of extra props. I've had two instances in Jamaica where a vulture attacked my drone and it came crashing down. Fortunately over land.
Keep in mind if you're flying over water in the North coast the breeze usually goes east to west. So you will need a lot more power to fly west to east (left to right on the north coast)
I hope this helps. PM me if you need more details.

Reactions: Ledesma45
Irishman is right. Don't write broken on there. Customs will bother you even more about that..I did that for a laptop I was bring for a friend once and got endless questions.
Also bring a receipt if you can. I remember when I first brought my solo almost 4 years ago, back when drones were still close to $1k. I declared it for the fire sale price and they thought I was lying. Fortunately I had my cell phone on me and could pull up the best buy reciept for $399. Just be nice to them and play their game. Have it packed properly and have a reciept.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986