Solo is just for US. Don t buy it if you living outside US

Reaction score
Did find Solo from 3D robotics were interesting. So for 2 weeks ago I bought one Solo ( package -gimbal - 2 battery - 10 props and case ) in Sweden - Europe ( PAL area). What a misstake I did. Controlling the GoPro ( PAL in europe and NTSC in US ) in air or just start or stop recording did not work. And yes all gear updated to the last version. Okay I think that maybe it will come some update or updates so I feel calm. So I fly whit my other drones and don't care. Instead I planed to buy some spare part to use for the Solo. Among many things, 3Dr say that you have to exchange motors after 150 hours. So I received a offer from 3Dr - 20% discount and I was thinking that this is the right time to order some spare parts. Fine, so I order - and to my surprise they won t sell to me. What has happened I understand nothing. US the biggest hungry capital market on earth and they don t won't to sell ? 3Dr say that I have to order from a reseller near me. Fantastic, as today - december 19 - 2015 there are no reseller in europe that sells spare part.
I meen beside props and batts. And it is at this the moment I understand why I not should have bought this drone called Solo. 3Dr won t sell to me. I have to buy from a reseller in europe. As you understand - they don't have it stock ! so they have to order it from the importing company who has to order it from 3Dr. It is no problem for me in this stage. But when I need some parts fast I don t like to wait for 6 month. Sooo forget 3Dr Solo or other products from 3Dr if you live outside US.

Did find Solo from 3D robotics were interesting. So for 2 weeks ago I bought one Solo ( package -gimbal - 2 battery - 10 props and case ) in Sweden - Europe ( PAL area). What a misstake I did. Controlling the GoPro ( PAL in europe and NTSC in US ) in air or just start or stop recording did not work. And yes all gear updated to the last version. Okay I think that maybe it will come some update or updates so I feel calm. So I fly whit my other drones and don't care. Instead I planed to buy some spare part to use for the Solo. Among many things, 3Dr say that you have to exchange motors after 150 hours. So I received a offer from 3Dr - 20% discount and I was thinking that this is the right time to order some spare parts. Fine, so I order - and to my surprise they won t sell to me. What has happened I understand nothing. US the biggest hungry capital market on earth and they don t won't to sell ? 3Dr say that I have to order from a reseller near me. Fantastic, as today - december 19 - 2015 there are no reseller in europe that sells spare part.
I meen beside props and batts. And it is at this the moment I understand why I not should have bought this drone called Solo. 3Dr won t sell to me. I have to buy from a reseller in europe. As you understand - they don't have it stock ! so they have to order it from the importing company who has to order it from 3Dr. It is no problem for me in this stage. But when I need some parts fast I don t like to wait for 6 month. Sooo forget 3Dr Solo or other products from 3Dr if you live outside US.
Sorry to hear that. Wondering what kind of distribution laws/agreements that might be in affect for your country. Else I don't see why they won't drop ship directly to you. Did you ask them for a stocking dealer? Ask them if they are supporting and marketing the product where you live? Sorry your not getting the same level of support that we we get.
Burke

Reactions: Mathieu Preaux
Sorry to hear about that- I've never heard that motors need to be replaced at 150 hours. I doubt that most people even track that time.
Very strange...

...So I received a offer from 3Dr - 20% discount and I was thinking that this is the right time to order some spare parts. Fine, so I order - and to my surprise they won t sell to me. What has happened I understand nothing. US the biggest hungry capital market on earth and they don t won't to sell ? ...3Dr won t sell to me. ...Sooo forget 3Dr Solo or other products from 3Dr if you live outside US.

I too tried today to buy some accessories from 3DR On-line Store with the 20% discount off every purchase. Same thing happened. 3DR won't sell. I live in Australia. Support told me that they are not certified to ship orders to other countries other than US & Canada. So we, who live outside these jurisdictions are somewhat disadvantaged, especially when 3DR are promote these discounts. Talk about dangling the carrot.

I too tried today to buy some accessories from 3DR On-line Store with the 20% discount off every purchase. Same thing happened. 3DR won't sell. I live in Australia. Support told me that they are not certified to ship orders to other countries other than US & Canada. So we, who live outside these jurisdictions are somewhat disadvantaged, especially when 3DR are promote these discounts. Talk about dangling the carrot.
Sounds like folks outside the U.S. and Canada need a contact that can get those items and send them to you. ;)

Reactions: Acroduster
There are already ways to do that Maddog, people just need to be resourseful. Google is your friend.

Reactions: Maddog
Sorry to hear about that- I've never heard that motors need to be replaced at 150 hours. I doubt that most people even track that time.
Very strange...
BTW, there is no way those motors will last 150 hours. T-motor state 60 hours and recommend bearing change at 40 hours, as they say the bearing is a consumable part. Getting OTT here.

Reactions: Lars Malm
There are already ways to do that Maddog, people just need to be resourseful. Google is your friend.
I was thinking about that (big mistake) and thought I saw some posts where businesses like B&H Photo wouldn't ship to Australia, for example either.
I hope I'm wrong about that.

BTW, there is no way those motors will last 150 hours. T-motor state 60 hours and recommend bearing change at 40 hours, as they say the bearing is a consumable part. Getting OTT here.
Where is a good source for bearings? Are they difficult to change?

There are plenty of freight forwarding businesses in the USA that will receive goods for you at a local address, and ship them on to you.
And its not expensive.
For example, its cheaper to ship locally in the USA and get the parcel forwarded, than it is to use the Global Shipping option on eBay (from the USA anyway)
People just need to look around

There are plenty of freight forwarding businesses in the USA that will receive goods for you at a local address, and ship them on to you.
And its not expensive.
For example, its cheaper to ship locally in the USA and get the parcel forwarded, than it is to use the Global Shipping option on eBay (from the USA anyway)
People just need to look around
Thanks for the heads up- I didn't know that.

Here ya go. About $17.00 (US) a set

These are the Boca Bearing P/N's for SEALED bearings: SR2-LL/C3C and SR2-5UU3. Top and bottom bearings. I might add from personal experience here in Florida that the rotor wash on take-off and landing pulls micro-particles right into unsealed bearings causing excessive wear and premature replacement. If take-offs are on streets, dirt, etc. better get sealed bearings.

I'm also bought from reseller in Lithuania (EU) and I like my 3DR Solo, but when I asked this reseller after purchase about spares, he told me he didn't got any spare parts he ordered. One of the main reasons I bought Solo and not another problematic Phantom is advertised excellent 3DR customer support, but now I'm really afraid, that even in case of warranty accident it will be problematic to get quick and reliable warranty service in EU: as I know, by EU law everything under warranty should be fixed by 30 days at longest, also EU seller should provide 2 years warranty for non-business buyers, but 3DR providing only one year, so how to be with this ? On the other hand, maybe there are some exemptions regarding 2 years warranty for UAV's- I don't know this exactly.
And yes, in Solo manual is stated, that you should replace motor pods every 150 hours of flying (page 67 in manual). For now there is only two possibilities: ask friend who is living in USA/Canada or buy overpriced in ebay.

So 3DR, IMHO:
1/ Europe is a big market- if you want business here, fix this problems as soon as possible, or people will continue to use dji ;)
2/ I don't really understand problems to ship to Europe directly from 3DR: use DHL or UPS for this, they will do all logistic and custom clearances and thats it ;) !!! And please, don't send teasing emails with discount we cannot use ;) .

Strange situation: if manual states replace motors every 150 hours and drone will crash because of bad bearing after let's say 70 hours, this should be 3DR problem and repaired under warranty. But if you will change bearings by yourself and drone will crash after, let's say 10 hours, it will be non-warranty issue ;)

Strange situation: if manual states replace motors every 150 hours and drone will crash because of bad bearing after let's say 70 hours, this should be 3DR problem and repaired under warranty. But if you will change bearings by yourself and drone will crash after, let's say 10 hours, it will be non-warranty issue ;)
Thats possibly the case.
I was refering specifically to the bearings not lasting 150 hours, I wonder where they got that figure from. From experience, even at 20 hours there is noticable vibration increase from quality bearings.

Reactions: Nerius
Did find a reseller http://www.customdrone.nl/en/ and they seams to have all of the spare parts that 3Dr US sell. Have placed a order for a body shell just to see how long delivery time they have. Free shipping, hmmmmm lets see on monday. Seams to be a god idea to place a banner on the ground for lift off and land on. Less dust and other stuff in the motors and camera - gimbal.

I'm also bought from reseller in Lithuania (EU) and I like my 3DR Solo, but when I asked this reseller after purchase about spares, he told me he didn't got any spare parts he ordered. One of the main reasons I bought Solo and not another problematic Phantom is advertised excellent 3DR customer support, but now I'm really afraid, that even in case of warranty accident it will be problematic to get quick and reliable warranty service in EU: as I know, by EU law everything under warranty should be fixed by 30 days at longest, also EU seller should provide 2 years warranty for non-business buyers, but 3DR providing only one year, so how to be with this ? On the other hand, maybe there are some exemptions regarding 2 years warranty for UAV's- I don't know this exactly.
And yes, in Solo manual is stated, that you should replace motor pods every 150 hours of flying (page 67 in manual). For now there is only two possibilities: ask friend who is living in USA/Canada or buy overpriced in ebay.

So 3DR, IMHO:
1/ Europe is a big market- if you want business here, fix this problems as soon as possible, or people will continue to use dji ;)
2/ I don't really understand problems to ship to Europe directly from 3DR: use DHL or UPS for this, they will do all logistic and custom clearances and thats it ;) !!! And please, don't send teasing emails with discount we cannot use ;) .
Welcome to the forum Nerius! Where do you live?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc