Solo Flyaway

Reaction score
Yesterday I was flying my solo near my house. I had taken it up about 150 feet where I continued to spin it a bit to get some nice views of the area. After about 2 minutes I proceeded to go up to about 240 feet where I again spun it to get some more views of the area and the sunset, It was at this height for about a minute when the controller vibrated and said that it has lost controller signal and was returning to home. I was a little bummbed but figured ok it will just come on back. Well, thats when things went south. About 30 seconds after stating that it was returning to home, the controller vibrated again and said that the drone had lost GPS signal, which to me was weird because at the time it had 12 satellites and was up in the open air space. The drone immediately took off in one direction, I attempted to counter it but it didnt seem like my controller actions were doing anything as the drone continued to go that direction until making a sharp turn and then taking off in the opposite direction, all while still at altitude. It continued on a fast paced flight out of my control until it went out of sight. I was able to see the GoPro feed and watched for a few seconds as it flew over a field near by before the gopro signal cut out as well. At this point I ran and got in my car and began to go after it... After a bit of searching I was able to find it in a near by baseball field, in pieces, along with my gopro that now has a broken HDMI port. I reviewed the log data but Im not really sure what I am looking for. The drone is basically totaled. Does this sound like a flyaway? It sure seemed like it took off to me. I had the drone settings to Slow but it was flying away a heck of a lot faster then I am able to get it to move with the controller. Anyway i will be contacting 3DR tomorrow when their support is open to work on getting a replacement drone and gopro.

If it ever happens again, press the "PAUSE" key.
Pause key will reset GPS, Stops all movement "brakes" the Solo.

3DR will send you A new on. They just need flight data from Solo.
You haven't sent in a Ticket yet?

It's not a flyaway, from what you've said there you had an RTL then were unlucky enough to lose GPS, at that point though it was in fly:manual so it would go with the wind, given you had feedback from this there must have been a link so you'd have been in control, maybe you then didn't have orientation to bring it back successfully.

It's very hard to total a Solo unless you'd landed in water. A Solo wouldn't fall out of the sky on fly:manual it would go to land when the battery hit 10% so it would be almost impossible for the shell to be broken, could you define totalled better?

The pause key only works when there is enough GPS.

You could always post your logs here as well if you ever wanted a second opinion, but 3DR know what they're doing with those anyway to assess what went on.

Last edited:
I have had this happen on cloudy days... When GPS is gone... Pause button won't do shit. My solution is, to make sure that I always have the fly manual command set up on either the A or B short cut buttons on the controller. As soon as the controller vibrates losing GPS I hit the Fly Manual button and regain control manually and land it like a real pilot. If not it just flys around aimlessly looking for GPS cause without it... It has no idea where home is!

Reactions: Ralph E. Johnson
The Solo goes to fly:manual automatically that was added in firmware 1.05. So it doesn't wander aimlessly, it's goes to fly:manual (I think after approx 5 seconds), it's to save users having to switch, albeit I still have that mode on a button as well...

Yeah the problem is with cloudy days is it gets it then it gone it.. Then it gets it then it's gone... In the update it keeps switching back if it finds it again..... If you set it to fly manual with the button it stays in manual even if the GPS comes back.... Ntrust me I have watched the auto switch to manual cycle back and forth till I set up the shortcut that keeps it n manual till you hit the fly button again....

Reactions: Ian [P13]
No no errors.... I live at 12000 feet altitutude where cloud cover is a lot different than at sea level..... No software hardware issues.... Just environment.....

@Steve Huntley I believe you, It's the cloudy that triggers it that's something i haven't experienced or read about before.
That is a good tip on how to handle the problem when/if it happens. A or B short cut buttons on the controller to fly manual.
Must be errors with Software/Hardware.

Yeah I am... That's why I have to make sure I can always see my Solo and I can always get into manual.... Satellites are at a whole different angle up here... And a single cloud can take them all away...

It's not a flyaway, from what you've said there you had an RTL then were unlucky enough to lose GPS, at that point though it was in fly:manual so it would go with the wind, given you had feedback from this there must have been a link so you'd have been in control, maybe you then didn't have orientation to bring it back successfully.

It's very hard to total a Solo unless you'd landed in water. A Solo wouldn't fall out of the sky on fly:manual it would go to land when the battery hit 10% so it would be almost impossible for the shell to be broken, could you define totalled better?

The pause key only works when there is enough GPS.

You could always post your logs here as well if you ever wanted a second opinion, but 3DR know what they're doing with those anyway to assess what went on.

I will post pics soon of the solo. But unlike you said, my solo did crash itself. The logs show it switched to manual mode but then show that it switched to land. I have the video that shows it flying towards the field and then taking a sharp turn and descending very fast at a angle before the video cuts out. That is where I found it with the gopro snapped off and the main housing busted and popping out on the solo as well as the main body cracked underneath and all the props obviously busted off

support is open to work on getting a replacement drone and gopro.
Support is always open to submit your flight logs after a failure, at least they are ready when they are open.

Upload your flight logs to this forum as previously suggested. "How to read Log Files" is a thread here to guide you on reading and downloading the flight logs. Maybe someone here could learn a thing or two from your experience or help identify what went wrong. Like was said previously, 3DR will be able to identify the cause of the failure.

Support is always open to submit your flight logs after a failure, at least they are ready when they are open.

Upload your flight logs to this forum as previously suggested. "How to read Log Files" is a thread here to guide you on reading and downloading the flight logs. Maybe someone here could learn a thing or two from your experience or help identify what went wrong. Like was said previously, 3DR will be able to identify the cause of the failure.
I submitted a support ticket with the logs through the app last night after the crash happened. I will upload the logs here with some pics for anyone to give more detail as to what happened.

Btw just got an email from 3dr support. They said they are reviewing the log files and that it may take 1-2 days to receive a reply. That's something I guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso