Solo Flyaway

3DR called me this morning. They still need more info, since the logs (same ones I posted here) only show the flight up until the controller lost contact with Solo, they need me to send more logs so they can further review them. I also sent them the GoPro footage showing the rest of the flight and the final descent before cutting out right above the ground. Hoping tomorrow after they see the rest of the logs and the footage that I will hear about a resolution to this. More to come.

Here are more logs. This log is from the Solo and should contain the data after the Solo disconnected to the controller. ANy info is helpful!

logs-solo.zip

Which is what I said it would do, land is a controlled descent for speed so wouldn't hit the ground with force, so it's a surprise to see the shell broken, even if it landed sideways and flipped. Given land kicks in at 10% the only reason that immediately comes to mind for the shell being broken is if the battery didn't have enough charge to complete the land.
Check out the other logs i just posted and let me know what you see.

No no errors.... I live at 12000 feet altitutude where cloud cover is a lot different than at sea level..... No software hardware issues.... Just environment.....
Wow! I lived in Ely, NV (6500ft) for 13yrs and always hated the effect of high altitude on my nitro stuff.

Off topic story with altitude... I had a new Toshiba laptop that every time I got to altitude on a commercial flight it would lockup. The Toshiba tech told me I was taking it outside of operational limits and 35000 ft was too high (I was thinking he was high). They finally replaced the hard drive which was the culprit.

Yep, that looks like a bad crash. Broken shell. Sorry. Hope 3DR helps out.

3DR called me this morning. They still need more info, since the logs (same ones I posted here) only show the flight up until the controller lost contact with Solo, they need me to send more logs so they can further review them. I also sent them the GoPro footage showing the rest of the flight and the final descent before cutting out right above the ground. Hoping tomorrow after they see the rest of the logs and the footage that I will hear about a resolution to this. More to come.

Work with 3DR and they will work with you. They really excel at customer service. With the gimbal situation I think they are going the extra mile to keep customers happy. If you were flying a DJI there would be a different dialog - like send it in for repair or buy a new one. I'm not a betting man but willing to wager you will be happy with their response and possibly something to learn at the same time.All this being said I did not review your logs. Wish you the best and hope 3DR won't let you down. FYI I'm just a little frustrated waiting for two replacement motor pods which in the end was my fault but I did have an issue how the aircraft performed for this pilot in command. They are sending them to me for free but it's taking about two weeks and yes I have my gimbal. I

Here are more logs. This log is from the Solo and should contain the data after the Solo disconnected to the controller. ANy info is helpful!

logs-solo.zip
This is not the correct log for your troubled flight. It is the dataflash log for the another" flight" on the same day. .I use the term flight loosely since it just shows some basic movement within a few feet of your home point. However, even in this short flight there are warming signs of a pending hardware failure as the current draw is in excess of 13 amps. There should be additional dataflash logs on your solo showing the correct flight. Also 3DR should have been able to combine the two logs from your solo TX you previously provided to get your complete flight record from arm to bonce to crash. . The only reason I can see as to why there are two TX logs for that flight in question is that the solo initially hit the ground just barely on the other side of the highway and then took off again toward what looks like a building with basketball courts behind it..It started a new logging event when it took off again. Technically this should not happen without a new arming event. If you want to view your flight from the dataflash logs you will need to covert the dataflash log to a KML+gpx file that can be plotted in Google Earth. The conversion utility is built in Mission planner.

Attachments

• Flight.jpg
    Flight.jpg
    858.6 KB · Views: 23

Just ask to RMA it, they can pull the log and reconstruct it, its a waste of time to do this for a week when you will still have to send it all in...

This is not the correct log for your troubled flight. It is the dataflash log for the another" flight" on the same day. .I use the term flight loosely since it just shows some basic movement within a few feet of your home point. However, even in this short flight there are warming signs of a pending hardware failure as the current draw is in excess of 13 amps. There should be additional dataflash logs on your solo showing the correct flight. Also 3DR should have been able to combine the two logs from your solo TX you previously provided to get your complete flight record from arm to bonce to crash. . The only reason I can see as to why there are two TX logs for that flight in question is that the solo initially hit the ground just barely on the other side of the highway and then took off again toward what looks like a building with basketball courts behind it..It started a new logging event when it took off again. Technically this should not happen without a new arming event. If you want to view your flight from the dataflash logs you will need to covert the dataflash log to a KML+gpx file that can be plotted in Google Earth. The conversion utility is built in Mission planner.
So 3DR is saying that my ARMING_CHECK param was changed from 1 to 0, meaning that it it shoulsnt have Armed, I have never dowloaded mission planner or tower or anything. And I never touched a single setting in the Solo app, how in the world would they be saying that the logs show my ARMING_CHECK param was changed!?!?!?!?!?!?

So 3DR is saying that my ARMING_CHECK param was changed from 1 to 0, meaning that it it shoulsnt have Armed, I have never dowloaded mission planner or tower or anything. And I never touched a single setting in the Solo app, how in the world would they be saying that the logs show my ARMING_CHECK param was changed!?!?!?!?!?!?
That would explain why it started a second log without an arm event and took off again but not the excessive current drain. As stated earier at least from the telemetry logs posted it looks like a failing motor pod. Be sure to challenge 3DR tech support on that fact. Also did you happen to purchase your solo from Best Buy? Is it possible it was previously returned from another customer who did alter the parameters?

That would explain why it started a second log without an arm event and took off again but not the excessive current drain. As stated earier at least from the telemetry logs posted it looks like a failing motor pod. Be sure to challenge 3DR tech support on that fact. Also did you happen to purchase your solo from Best Buy? Is it possible it was previously returned from another customer who did alter the parameters?
I am asking them about the motor issue but havent hear back for an hour or more now. I really am not happy about all this. I dont get how they see a param as being changed when I never used anything or did anything that would change a param on the solo.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was flying my solo near my house. I had taken it up about 150 feet where I continued to spin it a bit to get some nice views of the area. After about 2 minutes I proceeded to go up to about 240 feet where I again spun it to get some more views of the area and the sunset, It was at this height for about a minute when the controller vibrated and said that it has lost controller signal and was returning to home. I was a little bummbed but figured ok it will just come on back. Well, thats when things went south. About 30 seconds after stating that it was returning to home, the controller vibrated again and said that the drone had lost GPS signal, which to me was weird because at the time it had 12 satellites and was up in the open air space. The drone immediately took off in one direction, I attempted to counter it but it didnt seem like my controller actions were doing anything as the drone continued to go that direction until making a sharp turn and then taking off in the opposite direction, all while still at altitude. It continued on a fast paced flight out of my control until it went out of sight. I was able to see the GoPro feed and watched for a few seconds as it flew over a field near by before the gopro signal cut out as well. At this point I ran and got in my car and began to go after it... After a bit of searching I was able to find it in a near by baseball field, in pieces, along with my gopro that now has a broken HDMI port. I reviewed the log data but Im not really sure what I am looking for. The drone is basically totaled. Does this sound like a flyaway? It sure seemed like it took off to me. I had the drone settings to Slow but it was flying away a heck of a lot faster then I am able to get it to move with the controller. Anyway i will be contacting 3DR tomorrow when their support is open to work on getting a replacement drone and gopro.
I have had a problem with landing. Specifically when I don't use the RTH button. It says you can come in and hover then push and hold the Fly button and it will gently land and cut off the engines. Twice now it landed and then the engines quickly rev up and it flips over. Engine are still running and blades are churning around in the grass. I have the video of it doing that.

The drone that crashed into an empty seating section in Louis Armstrong Stadium yesterday looks very much like a solo.

Kind of an old post, but was curious what your outcome was from 3DR.

FWIW, I just downloaded my parameters through Tower for the first time. I checked my ARMING_CHECK and it was set to 1, which was expected based on this thread's replies.

Reactions: Old Gimper
Kind of an old post, but was curious what your outcome was from 3DR.

FWIW, I just downloaded my parameters through Tower for the first time. I checked my ARMING_CHECK and it was set to 1, which was expected based on this thread's replies.

ALL, here is my outcome. If you followed along you probably saw that 3DR did finally agree to repair my Drone and GoPro under warranty after I got through 2 levels of management.

Well, today I received the box back from 3DR.... And you'll never guess. I had sent them my GoPro 3+ Silver, it had a broken off mini HDMI port. I assumed they might replace the board inside.

The box I opened today contained a Brand New Solo (which I expected since mine was pretty badly broken) AND.... A BRAND NEW HERO4 BLACK!!!! They send me a HERO4... I dont know why, but I officially love the company now lol.

I have had a problem with landing. Specifically when I don't use the RTH button. It says you can come in and hover then push and hold the Fly button and it will gently land and cut off the engines. Twice now it landed and then the engines quickly rev up and it flips over. Engine are still running and blades are churning around in the grass. I have the video of it doing that.

I had mine do that twice as well, but both times I used RTH button.

ALL, here is my outcome. If you followed along you probably saw that 3DR did finally agree to repair my Drone and GoPro under warranty after I got through 2 levels of management.

Well, today I received the box back from 3DR.... And you'll never guess. I had sent them my GoPro 3+ Silver, it had a broken off mini HDMI port. I assumed they might replace the board inside.

The box I opened today contained a Brand New Solo (which I expected since mine was pretty badly broken) AND.... A BRAND NEW HERO4 BLACK!!!! They send me a HERO4... I dont know why, but I officially love the company now lol.
Wow.....i think I would of Shit my self!!!!!!

Now that's why we fly 3DR!!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso