Solo flipped right after takeoff!

Did the same thing with new MA props. I was distracted answering some other RC guy's questions while installing props at the field. I even inspected it and convinced myself they were right, but they weren't. Distraction is dangerous.

It helps to glue the nuts in before every leaving the house so you can focus on which ones go into the right props. At that point, it's harder to then install the props on the wrong motors because of the left hand thread on the blacks.

17265810_1476782829009328_2676965532623699968_n.jpg

Did the same thing with new MA props. I was distracted answering some other RC guy's questions while installing props at the field. I even inspected it and convinced myself they were right, but they weren't. Distraction is dangerous.

It helps to glue the nuts in before every leaving the house so you can focus on which ones go into the right props. At that point, it's harder to then install the props on the wrong motors because of the left hand thread on the blacks.

17265810_1476782829009328_2676965532623699968_n.jpg

Use a silver metallic Sharpie and avoid the glue which may affect balance....works great

Attachments

• IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    1,019.2 KB · Views: 39
If I ever did that mod, it seems the first thing I would do is mark them exactly how the stock ones are.

As for acro mode - I have not tried it. This is a camera bird for me, and as an early adopter ($$$$$$) I just can't bring myself to put it into that much of harm's way...

Last edited:
I'm running MA props, love them. I use a silver permanent marker on the top of the two props to take the guess work out of the equation. That's my two cents worth of advice.

There's a video on YouTube with comparison. Of the 3 props, chroma, MA and stock. Stock turned out to be the winner. The MA gets your motors up to around 100 degrees as compared to 70-80 with stock and chroma. I'd stick with stock props.

Also says it's very easy to cross thread the mod props opposed to the stock. If I can find the vid again I'll relay link

I've also had to rebuild my bird and accidently out motors in backwards, what a cluster that was.

Hey guys, long time lurker here.

My Solo flipped right after takeoff! After going through my preflight checklist everything was green lit and ready to go until right after takeoff my Solo decided to flip over nose first right onto the ground. Didn't even lift off the ground. After turning off the motors as fast as I could I inspected my bird for any damage. As far as I could see the only thing broken were two propellers (the nose props).

I'm at a loss as to what could've possibly went wrong! Clear, sunny day with quiet K-index levels. The legs weren't caught on anything such as grass since I took off from concrete. 18 sats and a 0.7 HDOP. Level and compass calibration were done with no metal objects near. Done near a beach with no structures near...I even give my Solo a couple low thrust tests to make sure my motors run evenly prior to takeoff.

Unfortunately I didn't have any footage of the flip since I forgot to record. I will post my data logs later today when I have time. I love my Solo and as this incident being my first problem I definitely am shaken. I'm so careful when flying as well..

What could've possibly have gone wrong?
You know there's an R after the 10 × 4.5 on the two props for reverse rotation

Besides that.....the reverse props have MR 10X4.5R written on the left side of prop.....and the normal props have MR 10X4.5 written on right side of prop.....can't get more easier than that

At each end of solo blades pitch up facing in towards each other is what I use

I've read so many reviews out on Amazon where guys get the MA props installed wrong, flip their Solo, and then blame the props. They're great props, especially for $13.24 a set right now on Amazon. There are so many ways to make sure you get it right, most mentioned above, it's hard to screw up with a little care. There's yet another way to be sure: before taking off, even in Fly mode after the motors are idling, simply make sure none of them are moving air upward by passing a hand over them.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc