Solo flipped right after takeoff!

Reaction score
Hey guys, long time lurker here.

My Solo flipped right after takeoff! After going through my preflight checklist everything was green lit and ready to go until right after takeoff my Solo decided to flip over nose first right onto the ground. Didn't even lift off the ground. After turning off the motors as fast as I could I inspected my bird for any damage. As far as I could see the only thing broken were two propellers (the nose props).

I'm at a loss as to what could've possibly went wrong! Clear, sunny day with quiet K-index levels. The legs weren't caught on anything such as grass since I took off from concrete. 18 sats and a 0.7 HDOP. Level and compass calibration were done with no metal objects near. Done near a beach with no structures near...I even give my Solo a couple low thrust tests to make sure my motors run evenly prior to takeoff.

Unfortunately I didn't have any footage of the flip since I forgot to record. I will post my data logs later today when I have time. I love my Solo and as this incident being my first problem I definitely am shaken. I'm so careful when flying as well..

What could've possibly have gone wrong?

Is the the first flight of a new or rebuilt copter? Stock props?
Sounds like your props were incorrectly installed. Have you tried to fly it again?

Is the the first flight of a new or rebuilt copter? Stock props?
Sounds like your props were incorrectly installed. Have you tried to fly it again?

Have about 5-6 hrs of flight time on my Solo (mro gps mod with v2 shield) using my newly acquired master airscrew props. I do know that there is possibility for pilot error on installing the props in the wrong orientation, but I'm about 90% sure I put them in the correct way...hopefully that 10% isn't the case today. Haven't flown her yet but I will tonight to catch the sunset, after a few test flights at my local park ( I live on an island with few wide open spaces, hence the mishap near the beach).

The low thrusts...How exactly did you do this?

Before takeoff I very gently apply a bit of thrust on the left stick. Just a smidge. To test my motors a bit before they go full throttle to takeoff.

Have about 5-6 hrs of flight time on my Solo (mro gps mod with v2 shield) using my newly acquired master airscrew props. I do know that there is possibility for pilot error on installing the props in the wrong orientation, but I'm about 90% sure I put them in the correct way...hopefully that 10% isn't the case today. Haven't flown her yet but I will tonight to catch the sunset, after a few test flights at my local park ( I live on an island with few wide open spaces, hence the mishap near the beach).

The two most common causes I've seen for immediate flip on takeoff are propellers installed wrong or the motors being connected in wrong sequence. Since this is a commercial quadcopter, the motor sequence is hardly at question, and as you point out it's almost impossible to incorrectly install self-tightening propellers. Are you saying you have 5 or 6 hours flight time with these new propellers, or just with the MRO GPS mod?

The two most common causes I've seen for immediate flip on takeoff are propellers installed wrong or the motors being connected in wrong sequence. Since this is a commercial quadcopter, the motor sequence is hardly at question, and as you point out it's almost impossible to incorrectly install self-tightening propellers. Are you saying you have 5 or 6 hours flight time with these new propellers, or just with the MRO GPS mod?

With my gps mod. I've only flown 2 times with my new MA props. After a quick test flight using stock props everything seemed ok. Which leaves me to believe in that 10% chance I installed the MA props wrong :(

As stated before, you can put the MA props on the wrong motors. Each prop is designated for certain hubs, which in turn goes on specific motors. So I have to agree with P2P's probability percentages.

mine flipped over twice taking off also it wasnt the props.

Are you taking off in Manual mode? If not - please do so. Squirrely things can happen close to the ground...

Once you figure out the correct prop orientation you might want to consider using just a tiny dab of super glue to hold the prop nuts in place.
There is instructions in the MA box that describes the correct prop installation.

Are you taking off in Manual mode? If not - please do so. Squirrely things can happen close to the ground...

I was under the impression that taking off in manual mode leaves your copter with unreliable RTH coordinates?

I was under the impression that taking off in manual mode leaves your copter with unreliable RTH coordinates?
Taking off before the GPS has a lock causes that. So people who are too lazy to wait and take off in manual to get around it experience that issue.

Easy way to fix that is to take off manually and go straight up. Lock will come very quickly (she'll tell you verbally) and Fly mode will become available. The RTH will be the point on the ground below where you get lock.

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. Anyone have any problems taking off manually in wind? I live in the PNW on an island, so needless to say I have some pretty strong gusts from time to time. I should be fine as long as I takeoff swiftly and try not to linger close to ground level correct?

Practice, practice, practice! If (read: when) you lose GPS on a flight, it is very useful to not only have your A or B buttons set to manual to quickly switch there, but also to actually be able to pilot the craft without GPS. Others here advocate all takeoffs and landings be done manually. This achieves two things: 1) reduces the chance of a low altitude GPS blip causing an unrecoverable crash, and 2) gives you continuous muscle-memory practice in non-GPS control.

Practice, practice, practice! If (read: when) you lose GPS on a flight, it is very useful to not only have your A or B buttons set to manual to quickly switch there, but also to actually be able to pilot the craft without GPS. Others here advocate all takeoffs and landings be done manually. This achieves two things: 1) reduces the chance of a low altitude GPS blip causing an unrecoverable crash, and 2) gives you continuous muscle-memory practice in non-GPS control.

Thanks acro [emoji1417] just curious, have you flown acro at all on the Solo? I've modded a micro quad to fly acro and it's a blast! Was thinking of taking the plunge one day and flying acro on Solo.

Thanks acro [emoji1417] just curious, have you flown acro at all on the Solo? I've modded a micro quad to fly acro and it's a blast! Was thinking of taking the plunge one day and flying acro on Solo.

That has not turned out well for others. Some refer to it as Crash Mode

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc