Solo duty cycle?

So are you saying you should NOT lube bearings- just replace when they start to fail?

How bout cleaning the bearing before oiling with a spray cleaner like that used for electronics? evaporates and leaves no residue,
Starting to fail is a little late...;) Bearings shouldn't be squealing, if they are then lube and find replacement bearings....just my opinion. But then I want as little vibration from the motors that I can get to.

I like the cleaning idea, but it's hard to say if it's clean enough...to trust for another day. Bearings are cheap and easy to replace.

So are you saying you should NOT lube bearings- just replace when they start to fail?

How bout cleaning the bearing before oiling with a spray cleaner like that used for electronics? evaporates and leaves no residue,

I think oil will accumulate more dust. I'm agree with RichEwst thoughts by replacing bearing.

I'll took the motors out last night, there was so much grit in them that there's no way I would use them without changing the bearings just for peace of mind. Two seem salvageable but I won't until I learn to interpret the log data and see what actually happened. Never done bearing swap before, but wondering what lube the new bearings would come with, if any at all.

I'll took the motors out last night, there was so much grit in them that there's no way I would use them without changing the bearings just for peace of mind. Two seem salvageable but I won't until I learn to interpret the log data and see what actually happened. Never done bearing swap before, but wondering what lube the new bearings would come with, if any at all.
Post your logs and we will take a look. Search for Wookiee on Play Store if you use Android. It makes downloading logs easy. Of course I'm bias because I wrote it. :)

On the bright side, I managed to salvage the gimbal. I honestly can't believe it survived. It received the first blow and had become dislodged from three of its rubber mounts, everything was full of dust , like dust that falls out when you open it and dirties your floor. The surface where she crashed is like a gritty talcum powder, when you walk each step results in a puff of dust. But after cleaning everything I could, it sounded fine and fired up. Time will tell if I get many hours out of it, will be testing in flight today if the fog lifts.

Post your logs and we will take a look. Search for Wookiee on Play Store if you use Android. It makes downloading logs easy. Of course I'm bias because I wrote it. :)
Hey cool, thanks. The last nine enough? I can post in the evening. Will download your app for sure.

It makes downloading logs easy
Hell, that's way cool. When I'm surveying from a point with more than 9 flights I forget to download the solo logs via PC in the middle about 10% of the time. Still yet to play with it but I'm definitely going to put this on the tablet and include it in my work flow. Kudos!

Reactions: carpy
Isn't it better to use those dry lube types such as the ones used in bicycle chains?

Those would aggregate less dust.
I've seen a nearly endless litany of posts supporting both teflon/graphite based dry lubricants as well as "pure" LMO for these applications, with "experts" on both sides contradicting one another. I saw slightly more credible-sounding support for LMO, though I agree that intuitively, I'd pick graphite. Supposedly they're not up to the loading that a high-speed (relative to bike chains, etc) brushless motor will see, and can actually induce further drag on the balls in the race due to the high weight/viscosity.

Shrug. I'm going with LMO and I'll see how that treats me.

Sorry, what is LMO?
LMO = Light Machine Oil. From what I've found, it typically refers to a pure mineral oil typified by the Singer Sewing Machine oil. No additives, no solids, etc.
So do we know what's in there to start?
That's what I've seen the most bickering over. If we can find the actual part/supplier for our bearings, we should be able to find the whitepaper that specifies maintenance procedures. Apparently, for open/shielded bearings like used in our motors, they typically come with a small amount of LMO from the factory, and maintenance procedures call for re-application of LMO as needed.

That being said, I've yet to see any of these whitepapers myself.

Reactions: RichWest
That being said, I've yet to see any of these whitepapers myself.
They are out there, just have to look.... White Papers & Technical Information About Bearings | AST Bearings

I guess you have to decide what it accomplishes for your application. It may be that lube is a great answer, having low dust and long hours. Versus dusty and fast hours, replacing the bearings maybe a better option. Dirt is what causes bearing failures, if all things are equal.

Really my thinking is towards the commercial operator. More data and knowledge, more successful flights. In either case you have to make a choice and learn from it. Can't fix a crappy bearing....once it's a crappy bearing.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
They are out there, just have to look.... White Papers & Technical Information About Bearings | AST Bearings

I guess you have to decide what it accomplishes for your application. It may be that lube is a great answer, having low dust and long hours. Versus dusty and fast hours, replacing the bearings maybe a better option. Dirt is what causes bearing failures, if all things are equal.

Really my thinking is towards the commercial operator. More data and knowledge, more successful flights. In either case you have to make a choice and learn from it. Can't fix a crappy bearing....once it's a crappy bearing.
So nowadays, which bearings do you recommend?

So nowadays, which bearings do you recommend?
The best you can afford....;) Brand wise, either EZO or NMB. Not sure if you are there yet, but my T-Motors were supplied with EZO's. I recently swapped out bearings, buying the T-motor bearing kit, and they are EZO. They spin buttery smooth. Both EZO and NMB bearings will be brand marked.

The best you can afford....;) Brand wise, either EZO or NMB. Not sure if you are there yet, but my T-Motors were supplied with EZO's. I recently swapped out bearings, buying the T-motor bearing kit, and they are EZO. They spin buttery smooth. Both EZO and NMB bearings will be brand marked.
Special tools needed to swap bearings?

Are the bearing kits available in hybrid ceramic configurations? I was quite fond of the TRB RC Bearings Hybrid Ceramics I used on my Ominus, though it was obviously spinning at a much lower RPM.

Special tools needed to swap bearings?
Removal is real easy, it's the reassembly that requires specialty tools. There are a couple of older threads that cover bearings and installation. I did make a tool for pressing the bearings in properly and then bought a tool for grasping the crazy-8 cir-clips.

Boca was offering ceramic and not sure they were hybrid though, but then I have no clue if they are worth the money over steel. I'm sold on the EZO quality, so I haven't looked elsewhere...

This thread is splintering into different discussions quickly. Seek out the other threads on the subject, a lot of good info has been discussed previously.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela