Solo dropped out of the sky

FYI, 3DR is RMA'ing my Solo and also promising to replace my GoPro... Should get my RMA number tomorrow, so hopefully a quick turnaround...
did they provide you with any feedback in regard to what caused your crash ?

Yup... motor pod 1 failed... Because it was so low to the ground, it looked to me like it just stopped and dropped, but apparently, from the logs, the motor stopped, and the solo tipped over with no time to even try to compensate. Makes a little more sense to me now why they say to resist the urge to fly it at eye level and take it up to 20+ feet. That way you have some "reaction-time" between issues and the ground.

3dr replied today saying

"After analysing the logs sent, we saw that the overhead power lines on the location affected the sensors in Solo causing it to fell from the sky. This incident as said in the User Manual could have been avoided by flying far from the power lines.

As this incident is not catalogued as a hardware malfunction, we can offer an RMA for repairs charging only the shipping and parts cost, no damage diagnostic nor manual labour fees. This way our expert technicians will check the unit, repairs it, test it, and send it back"

I do not agree with this as I have flown in the same place many many times without issue it seems strange to me the solo behaves like this following an update . i am confused why this would happen this time and not the other times I have flown in this area ... Has anyone else experienced strange behaviour following firmware update 2.0.0?

We've flown our Solo right next to power lines a few times with no issues.
After reading this we will likely avoid them at all costs from now on.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Am I reading this correctly? 3 pops detached from your solo upon crashing? Detached and remain reusable? I don't see how that is possible.

I had exactly the same issue without a crash, only one propeller left on and that was because it was straight out of the box with a faulty motor so would spin. I went with 3dr because I thought they were the best but gutted I just didn't get a phantom now. Oh and the gimbal doesn't work either

We've flown our Solo right next to power lines a few times with no issues.
After reading this we will likely avoid them at all costs from now on.

What a weird place to fly. Anyhow. I flew my Pixhawk next to powerlines all the time, and I never had an issues either. I personally do not believe in powerlines causing issues, but that's just me.

Reactions: Griffin Umbrella Co
I think the kind of power lines we need to fear are those high voltage ones, like 115,000 volts or more.
Not the common <500V 3 phase
Take a neon light close to high voltage wires, it will glow due to EMF.
Below is considered a bit too distant...

EMF reader

I am sure all electrical engineers will fear high voltage wires will emit disturbance to any electronic device, which a Solo is.

I don't want even to get any closer than 2 meters from a 20Kv transformer :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421