Solo controller alternative

Reaction score
I've been searching but finding little to no information. Has anyone used the solo controller for another drone? I really like the ergonomics and simplicity.

Given the protocol is proprietary (SoloLink), wouldn't have any use elsewhere. You'd have to hang an external module for another 2.4 RC protocol or UHF, do a whole bunch of re-wiring, then sure, maybe?

I hang a UHF (433MHz) off my Taranis (2.4 FrSky) and operate that way, but it is easy to disable the internal RF module. Similar hobby grade radios from Spektrum, Futaba, JR, etc. are the same - simple options through the menus.

Tony, if you truly think the Solo is a nice feeling Radio, you should go to a hobby shop and put your hands on a high end hobby radio - some sticks with high quality quad-bearing gimbals. It'll arouse you.

Solo controller is toy-like compared to these radios.

Yeah, I've got to agree... Solo controller is one of the worst designs I have used. Between the full color LCD that displays virtually no useful information, the general lack of control buttons / toggles, the ridiculous size and weight, I really don't know what they were thinking.

I own an old taranis but got my eye on the new taranis x12. Great value for the price.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

So what radio would you guys recommend? I've been in development programming a gimbal that could be used with the smart shots on solo that has been taking a lot of my time but I'm also designing a bird that would be similar to an x8 and inspire had a baby. I was going to use some solo internals to use the same radio and have some of its functions but I'm sure I could get a lot more control with gimbals, cameras, and have more battery and motor options if I skipped the solo parts and had a radio with more channels. I've just been using the solo awhile now and gotten really used to it's controls.

Man, for pure functionality, the FrSky Taranis is my pick. You can do "anything" with it.

OpenTX is such a flexible and accomodating software compared to the peoprietary softwares found on the big name hobby radios. Any function in any combination at any weight on any channel, and your imagination is the only limit as to how you can execute it all.

Easy Access to the module ports is pretty great too.

I feel OpenTX is such a Great compliment for an APM based setup. Def a DIY project like you have going, Tony.

And how about value? At <$200, you get a pretty darn good quality radio system that swoops under all the other big names. It doesn't have the feel, the heft, the gimbal butteriness of a DX18 or the Like, but it's mikes past the "Drone" radios out there.

Man, for pure functionality, the FrSky Taranis is my pick. You can do "anything" with it.

OpenTX is such a flexible and accomodating software compared to the peoprietary softwares found on the big name hobby radios. Any function in any combination at any weight on any channel, and your imagination is the only limit as to how you can execute it all.

Easy Access to the module ports is pretty great too.

I feel OpenTX is such a Great compliment for an APM based setup. Def a DIY project like you have going, Tony.

And how about value? At <$200, you get a pretty darn good quality radio system that swoops under all the other big names. It doesn't have the feel, the heft, the gimbal butteriness of a DX18 or the Like, but it's mikes past the "Drone" radios out there.

Thanks, I'm probably going to read up on it and put in an order today. Sounds perfect to me. Hopefully it has hdmi out for fpv, not a deal breaker if it doesn't though.

This is one of the few forums left that has comradery, everyone is helpful as much as they can be, and most of the posts have correct or legible punctuation. I'm really thankful for everyone's participation and knowledge.

I know I started this thread about the radio but do you guys have a preference to any alternative motors for the solo? If so do you use the oem esc's or know of any you have our would swap out with? I'm fine with any modifications needed to be made I have 3d printers, cnc, casting materials, can solder, decent at cad, and coding. I'd be more than happy to make some plug and play motor pods for any members here.

Tony,

I'd like to talk briefly to the HDMI out/FPV comment in our last post.

The Taranis and the radios in and above its class are RC only - well primarily. Historically they've been uni-directizonal systems, transmitting a PPM or PWM signal to a receiver on your bird.

Recently "Telemetry" has been widely accepted, these systems have become bi-directional - the radio at the operator end receiving telemetry data (critical model parameters on power, temp, RSSI, etc) from the bird.

In legacy "drones," the RC system and Video system are two independent systems. In most DIY setups, pilots have entirely SE separate video receivers and displays, independent of their RC radio.

In the early days of consumer grade RC drones, DJI ran this same sorts system on their phantoms - 5.8 control and 2.4 video - but they were able to package it together nicely in a controller.

SoloLink is so different and novel, in that it is Control, Video, and Telemetry signals all being passed over the same freq on the 2.4 band. This was a first in the industry. DJI is just now catching up.

So to video out of your radio, kind of a pipe dream.

However, Team Black Sheep is pushing legacy FPV tech toward the style of modern "Drones,". Mind you they are still using analog tv signals. take a look at this:

Team BlackSheep Online Store - TBS Tango

Reactions: Solo Keith
Tony,

I'd like to talk briefly to the HDMI out/FPV comment in our last post.

The Taranis and the radios in and above its class are RC only - well primarily. Historically they've been uni-directizonal systems, transmitting a PPM or PWM signal to a receiver on your bird.

Recently "Telemetry" has been widely accepted, these systems have become bi-directional - the radio at the operator end receiving telemetry data (critical model parameters on power, temp, RSSI, etc) from the bird.

In legacy "drones," the RC system and Video system are two independent systems. In most DIY setups, pilots have entirely SE separate video receivers and displays, independent of their RC radio.

In the early days of consumer grade RC drones, DJI ran this same sorts system on their phantoms - 5.8 control and 2.4 video - but they were able to package it together nicely in a controller.

SoloLink is so different and novel, in that it is Control, Video, and Telemetry signals all being passed over the same freq on the 2.4 band. This was a first in the industry. DJI is just now catching up.

So to video out of your radio, kind of a pipe dream.

However, Team Black Sheep is pushing legacy FPV tech toward the style of modern "Drones,". Mind you they are still using analog tv signals. take a look at this:

Team BlackSheep Online Store - TBS Tango

I assumed there would be no hdmi out, it would be nice though. It would be a lot easier keeping video feed and controls with the same range. My experience with 2 frequencies is losing one a lot sooner than the other. This is one of the reasons I've came to love the solo controller, with amps and the fpvlr I don't lose either signal and if I do I know it's coming. I don't have to worry about losing drone control with another km or 2 of video feed. Sending the video over an alternative frequency isn't a deal breaker when I'm sending up a dslr. Fpv racing I think would benefit from a lot more having the controls and video on the same radio.

Engineering and coding has always been my favorite hobbies. My love for drones and aerial photography have just recently peaked my interests. I'm hoping 3dr releases everything on the solo, so I could make changes or pick and choose what I want to include in my own bird. I've gotten pretty far with the gimbal/smart shots without the code, I plan on making it public once I'm finished, if I have no objections from 3dr.

Reactions: Evan1993

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso