SOLO catch it in the air

Reaction score
i have seen videos of people flaying there DJI drones and saw there able to catch it in the air this would be a really good feature to have when your flaying over water in a boat since it would be difficult to land it in the boat just grab it when its write there in front of you saw in earlier threats boat mode may be coming this would be a great option to have in boat mode. would just need to make new legs for the solo similar to the DJI drones and it would be good to go. Any opinions on this if it can be done with the 3dr solo

No need to make any new parts for the Solo, you can carefully grab it on the body right behind the camera/gimbal. I've done it a few times when flying it from very rocky terrain. I actually think the way the DJI guys do it is particularly dangerous. Grabbing it from the legs like they do, it could easily rotate around which would put the props right into their arm. Grabbing the Solo on it's "belly", you can hold it level and resist any potential changes in orientation.

But... and this is a big but... you do it at your own risk. You better be watching it like a hawk for any signs of trouble, those props will do a job on any flesh they encounter. I won't say it's a smart thing to do, but sometimes you can be in a situation where it's necessary.

No need to make any new parts for the Solo, you can carefully grab it on the body right behind the camera/gimbal. I've done it a few times when flying it from very rocky terrain. I actually think the way the DJI guys do it is particularly dangerous. Grabbing it from the legs like they do, it could easily rotate around which would put the props right into their arm. Grabbing the Solo on it's "belly", you can hold it level and resist any potential changes in orientation.

But... and this is a big but... you do it at your own risk. You better be watching it like a hawk for any signs of trouble, those props will do a job on any flesh they encounter. I won't say it's a smart thing to do, but sometimes you can be in a situation where it's necessary.
i agree with you it is dangerous but can be a very handy thing to do when time calls for it. have you been able to do this?? and how i have landed manually is it the same thing just press the down while holding it and pray it will turn off..

i agree with you it is dangerous but can be a very handy thing to do when time calls for it. have you been able to do this?? and how i have landed manually is it the same thing just press the down while holding it and pray it will turn off..

That's what has worked for me so far, but sometimes it takes a few seconds to turn off. Not sure why that is.

That's what has worked for me so far, but sometimes it takes a few seconds to turn off. Not sure why that is.

The reason it takes a few seconds is because that's how the flight controller detects that it has landed - if the throttle is below the level need to hover, meaning it's descending, it reads the barometer to calculate the rate of descent. If the throttle is below hover and the barometer indicates that it's no longer descending, it assumes that it has landed. I believe it looks for 2 seconds of no additional descent.

I had to grab by the leg a couple or times saving solo without incident the leg took it no problem

I have always caught my Solo and Phantoms. It just seems less room for error and will also save just a little bit more on batteries. I was make sure you dont grab it, cause it will want to get away. Simply just place hand out and lightly grab the drone

Reactions: Damien
i don't hand catch. i think its ridiculous. but for the sake of trying it i tried and it was easy to do. i grabbed one of the legs and just held down the throttle until it disarmed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44