Solo and Tower

Thanks. So I have a fence type 1 which is limiting my ceiling to 282 feet and no limits on radius.

All, just started using Tower a few days ago. Had 3 test flights. Learning has been trial and error. You guys have just opened a totally new and exciting world of flying!! Using Editor and reading your posts how to tap, drag and drop, change altitude either individual or all WP. Splines, circles. . Just did a simulated mission: Take-off, fly to POI,,fly circle, edit radius, set decreasing WP altudes, exit circl to new WP and increase altitude, Fly home. Just incredible!! And with a gimbal and hands off will bring SOLO into the realm it was meant to be. With some tweaks and experience and with Tower and gimbal, an extremely powerful and easy cinematic platform.

Thank you for this thread. Please add teaching and user tips. Great stuff!

May I ask how to do a simulated mission? Thanks

Guess it was my error on distance. I was flying toward my 1700' landmark and was close I thought but checking params Fence was enabled and set at 300 meters. I have now set to "0". Here's something of note. I had SOLO setting on the bed in my guest room/office. Room approx. 14x14'. SOLO 10' away from Two normal size windows. Trees in front of windows. I got GPS lock with 7 SAT's. This happens all the time

I don't get any Sats in the house with either P2 or Solo. My house is a big shield......radiant barrier (foil) in the attic

Well I must have an odd unit with fence_enable set to 0.

You know what doesn't work with tower? Missions that were planned in Mission Planner.

My last mission was over with the solo safely on the ground while tower was 5 minutes behind "heading to waypoint 38" and "altitude 90 meters".

I wasn't going to add this but I got one of those rate our support emails a few minutes ago so figured I might as well.

I filled out a support request last week when I started running tower that basically said "I am sure you probably know this already but if you hit pause on the controller the tower app crashes. Just a FYI"

Their response which I thought was odd....

Thank you for contacting 3DRobotics tech support, even though you are able to use Tower to do autonomous flights with solo, its functionality wasn’t design for it and those types of situations may appear once in a while.

The use of tower with solo is only recommended for experienced pilots that would have a fast response if any unexpected behavior were to happen in flight.

So those types of situations happen once in a while? Yea like every time you push PAUSE.

So pilots with fast response only. LOL. Why, the Solo is paused.

Don't you use Pause in the Tower app? It works perfectly. Only thing is that it goes back to the last WP that it passed and loiters there until you hit auto again, or HOME, or Pause on the SOLO controller which terminates TOWER and initiates RTH. It seems to me that is a pretty cool feature as while you are flying a mission and you want to stop and look/video something with the elusive gimbal you can just hit PAUSE IN THE TOWER app and stop there, then when you are done continue on the mission.

Reactions: Jubalr
Don't you use Pause in the Tower app? It works perfectly. Only thing is that it goes back to the last WP that it passed and loiters there until you hit auto again, or HOME, or Pause on the SOLO controller which terminates TOWER and initiates RTH. It seems to me that is a pretty cool feature as while you are flying a mission and you want to stop and look/video something with the elusive gimbal you can just hit PAUSE IN THE TOWER app and stop there, then when you are done continue on the mission.
I'll have to try it. Didn't know about that. Could come in handy.

The only time I ever use pause is when something is going wrong. Like that little start bug I found that they are going to fix. You really can't press the app pause in an emergency situation as quick as you can the one on the controller. At least I cant :)

I was just trying to make them aware of it is all. I am not using tower now anyway. Just wanted to try it out.

I have a Pre-Flight Check List that I have been using and TOWER works perfectly for me so far. If anyone would like to use it, they are welcome. It works for me, not guaranteeing it will work for anyone else.

PRE-Flight Check List for Tower

Tab s ON

Controller ON

SOLO ON

TAB S Connected to SOLO YES

SOLO APP ON

FLY SOLO YES

GOPRO Camera ON

Video Feed YES

3DR Services Start YES

TOWER Start YES

MAP and GPS Location ON YES

TOWER to EDITOR YES

IMPORT Mission Select Mission

TOWER CONNECT YES

Have WP’s been saved? YES

Switch TOWER to Flight Data YES

Start SOLO to Idle YES

Have WP’s Been Received? Yes

Is Tower Menu available YES

(HOME, AUTO, PAUSE, LAND, etc)

Ready for flight

I always use the TOWER menu in the upper left hand corner to CONNECT, UPLOAD, etc. I NEVER hit "ARM" at the lower center of the page. Did one time with almost disastrous result. As soon as I take off the TOWER menu bar appears at the bottom center of the page. Also I have never to this point appended a take-off and landing sequence. I always take off manually, get plenty of altitude in the vicinity of my 1st WP, and then hit "AUTO"

Last edited:
I have a Pre-Flight Check List that I have been using and TOWER works perfectly for me so far. If anyone would like to use it, they are welcome. It works for me, not guaranteeing it will work for anyone else.

Tab s ON

Controller ON

SOLO ON

SOLO APP ON

FLY SOLO YES

GOPRO Camera ON

Video Feed YES

3DR Services Start YES

TOWER Start YES

TOWER to EDITOR YES

TOWER CONNECT YES

Start SOLO to Idle YES

Ready for flight

I always use the TOWER menu in the upper left hand corner to CONNECT, UPLOAD, etc. I NEVER hit "ARM" at the lower center of the page. Did one time with almost disastrous result. As soon as I take off the TOWER menu bar appears at the bottom center of the page. Also I have never to this point appended a take-off and landing sequence. I always take off manually, get plenty of altitude in the vicinity of my 1st WP, and then hit "AUTO"

What exactly happens if you DO hit the "ARM" button?

Does anyone know if the "Circle" way-point in Tower angles Solo "Camera in" similar to POI in the way it positions Solo?

Also, if trouble arises in Tower, hitting pause on the transmitter will abort and all regaining control of Solo?

Also, what if you upload a mission to Solo, but wish to cancel it? How do you delete/cancel a mission one it's uploaded into Solo?

Thanks

Reactions: rrmccabe
Does anyone know if the "Circle" way-point in Tower angles Solo "Camera in" similar to POI in the way it positions Solo?

Also, if trouble arises in Tower, hitting pause on the transmitter will abort and all regaining control of Solo?

Also, what if you upload a mission to Solo, but wish to cancel it? How do you delete/cancel a mission one it's uploaded into Solo?

Thanks
Not sure about Gimbal control in Tower at this point. Pause will take you out of a mission while flying. If you upload a mission, it is just sitting in memory. If you don't want to use it you don't put it in 'Auto' mode. The next mission you upload will overwrite the previous one.

I'll do my best to answer the above questions. I am not an expert, have 7 flights and have spent a lot of time exploring TOWER while at my desk and also thanks to Rich M, a great resource and very knowledgeable person. 1st time out I was feeling my way along. Saw the ARM button come up. So "ARM'd". SOLO took off like a shot about 5 feet above the ground headed for WP #1. Check out thread Here's what a close encounter with the ground looks like". Almost disaster! Since then I use exclusively my Pre-Flight checklist. Hasn't failed me yet.

Circle: Yes, the camera points toward the center of the circle whatever radius you set.

PAUSE on Controller: Pause will cause TOWER to terminate. As soon as that happens RTH is initiated. If Controller is connected you can PAUSE, and then FLY and take control.

Cancel/Delete: My experience to far is that if I upload a mission but don't want to fly it, I turn everything off and restart from the beginning. There may be a better or more efficient way, just haven't found it yet. Trying not to take chances. To delete previous missions: USB to Computer,,,Computer->Portable Device-->Open Device-->TOWER-->Waypoints Folder-->all the missions are stored there. Delete any or all. Thanks again to Rich M. for his guidance on this.

Just a note: There are TWO Pause buttons. One in TOWER, one on the Controller. PAUSE in TOWER will send SOLO to last WP and LOITER, you can then continue on when you wish to next WP's by hitting AUTO again. PUASE on the Controller will terminate TOWER and initiate RTH

Tab s ON

Controller ON

SOLO ON

SOLO APP ON

FLY SOLO YES

GOPRO Camera ON

Video Feed YES

3DR Services Start YES

TOWER Start YES

TOWER to EDITOR YES

TOWER CONNECT YES

Start SOLO to Idle YES

Ready for flight

I did the same thing.....nearly rammed Solo into the side of the house. Live and learn.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc