Solo and flyaway

Reaction score
Hi Solo friends.
I had an accident and I'm trying to figure out what's going on.
During the solo landing, he started to rise out of control and slipped on the horizontal axis.

It is located by a small river and I was flying in GPS mode.
During the fall I switched to manual mode with Solo out of control.
I wanted to overcome iron bars but solo lost altitude. I pulled it against the bars to prevent it from falling into the water.

The controller did not turn off the engines and I held the engine in my palm and waited for the battery to run out.

I haven't reviewed the logs yet. What could be the reason for these warning sirens and Solo's strange rebellion?

1595066994749.png

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Your battery warning is audible and it appeared to go into RTL mode by climbing.

Thanks for answer Mike,

With 20 cm left for landing, is Solo's sudden rise and RTH normal?

The battery is running out, and this move is a huge risk!

The RTL mode is standard, rise to the set height and return to launch.
You can go into your parameters and change that, as I always do. If I am short on battery I do NOT want the Solo to climb any higher.

The diminishing capacity of the batteries is the their biggest shortcoming at the moment which is why so many have come up with alternative battery solutions.

I'm sorry to say your questions are a bit worrying. The things you are asking about are basic aspects of how Solo performs. It might be sensible to make sure you understand what the aircraft will do in certain situations before you go flying again.

The Solo didn't 'flyaway' - it did something you didn't understand and hadn't prepared for.

The manual covers all the things you ask. Not to know how to disarm the Solo either via buttons or sticks is pretty bad - there is a risk in what you are doing, to you and others, like the person standing next to you.

I'm not being smart, just suggesting a thorough read of the manual and good understanding of some key aspects of how Solo performs would make your flights safer and more successful.

Holding the aircraft while the battery ran out must have been tricky?

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say your questions are a bit worrying. The things you are asking about are basic aspects of how Solo performs. It might be sensible to make sure you understand what the aircraft will do in certain situations before you go flying again.

The Solo didn't 'flyaway' - it did something you didn't understand and hadn't prepared for.

The manual covers all the things you ask. Not to know how to disarm the Solo either via buttons or sticks is pretty bad - there is a risk in what you are doing, to you and others, like the person standing next to you.

I'm not being smart, just suggesting a thorough read of the manual and good understanding of some key aspects of how Solo performs would make your flights safer and more successful.

Holding the aircraft while the battery ran out must have been tricky?

I usually be on the ground at 25% battery level. This time there is an unexpected situation.
How would you landing Solo to RTL to a river safely?!

Log records in my next message.

Last edited:
I agree with @DJMc on all points made.

Maybe obvious, but...you can hit the FLY button on the controller and take back control of Solo during a RTL...if the controller and Solo are connected.

As well, imagine that you are flying a brick. that has four dull saw blades. An exaggeration, but you get the idea...

Here's a link to a copy of the manual;

The question of flying by the river and taking of from the bridge is kind of what I'm saying - it would be worth checking out what happens on a low battery, loss of GPS and/or WiFi and what that means in that kind of geography.

You could download Mission Planner - that lets you review the logs in the programme;

Glad it worked out on this occasion, hope the links help.

Last edited:
Stay away from bridges. Lots of metal that plays havoc with gps.

There is nothing to tell you in the log that isn't extremely obvious from the video. The battery failsafe activated while you were landing and initiated the Return to Home mode. You tried to take over, and due to pilot error, you crashed it into the bridge. End of story.

Reactions: DJMc and RichWest

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc