Solo above wires at wedding exit video

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yes, I had permission to film this! Yes, there are power lines below the Solo. No, they did not interfere with the GPS or connections. Yes, I have the Gimbal. No, I don't have a good HDMI connection to see from the iPhone. Yes, that's me in the shade by the building :)

Reactions: Raybro
Just watching the video, you can't even tell who Katie and Brody are. Wasted opportunity? In the grand scheme of things how useful is this video?

Just know that I'm not trying to start anything with you but from a photographers perspective and as a husband, this was a special moment that was missed when it could have been a moment that was captured on video that could be cherished forever.

Just watching the video, you can't even tell who Katie and Brody are. Wasted opportunity? In the grand scheme of things how useful is this video?

Just know that I'm not trying to start anything with you but from a photographers perspective and as a husband, this was a special moment that was missed when it could have been a moment that was captured on video that could be cherished forever.
As a photographer you should know that there is a difference between arial coverage and land based coverage of an event, ever watch a NFL game with a blimp can't tell who the players are but dang they keep showing up at games.
As a professional videographer who has been filming weddings for over 11 years now and a certified diver who films underwater, and now adding arial options to my vast offerings, I can tell you that brides and grooms are asking for this option, enjoying this option, and understand that it will be different than the rest of the coverage but that it adds a new dimension and makes their wedding even more special. Each time we add the Solo to the wedding it becomes something they look forward to seeing added to their film.
BTW, I could have dropped down closer but for public safety and for noise consideration I keep my coverage at this distance so that I don't interfere with their moment only capture it above and on the ground level.

Reactions: Rocket
Football Game vs. Wedding Ceremony NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!

To answer your question, NO! I've never watched an NFL game with a blimp however; I've watched NFL games that dedicate more time showing video OF THE blimp from land based cameras than they dedicate time to showing video from blimp based camera(s). As a "professional" you better know that blimps show up at football games as an advertising tool, not as a video capture tool and that's the reason why they're plastered with a Tire Company, or Upcoming movie release, etc. Your analogy to justify the usefulness of this vantage point is terrible. You're sensitive about your stuff - I get it !!!

BTW - if you had permission - you SHOULD have dropped down closer. As you already stated you were flying near power lines. If you're going to fly to the get shot, get the dang shot. The 15 - 20 seconds it would take you actually get the shot would have gone a lot further in the grand scheme of things and the noise would have been no match for the applause that should have been taking place by the 50+ people in the parking lot as the new couple made way to their chariot. If you're not experienced enough with Solo yet to pull the shot off safely, then as a best practice maybe you don't offer that service until you can.

I've been shooting for just as long as you have an never once has anyone said, "You know what, I want that blimp type shot." or "You know what, give me that starving kid in Cambodia type shot." Especially when they're spending good money for services.

I've gotta ask a couple of the photographers that rent studio space from me if they're offering "The Blimp" view during wedding ceremonies. The view where you can't tell who's who or what's what. You may be on to something, but probably not.

Listen - I'm not going to sit here and go back and forth with you and I apologize for the unsolicited critique but this video is terrible bro.

I'm done.

So lets see, first you want to take shots but don't want to start anything, then you don't want to go back and forth but write an essay. Maybe you just don't know what you mean when you say something.
Sorry you didn't like my sample, was just trying to share with a Solo community. My clients love my work, recommend me over and over again, and I get to travel and film all over while getting paid to do what I enjoy. Please don't post on my comments or posts again.

Yes, I had permission to film this! Yes, there are power lines below the Solo. No, they did not interfere with the GPS or connections. Yes, I have the Gimbal. No, I don't have a good HDMI connection to see from the iPhone. Yes, that's me in the shade by the building :)

Thanks for sharing!

Looks good to me. Great way to add value to an event.

I disagree that the bride/groom need to be identified. You've captured the group, and that is important to people. However, powerlines and noise or not, the static shot itself doesn't lend itself to much unless you were merely trying to shoot a photo of the large group. Otherwise, add motion of some sort. Had it been me, I'd have a the least done a side to side cable cam inside the power wires. Yes, there would be a bit of noise for a brief moment, but the moment lasts that long. A video lasts forever. At the very least, get your camera into narrow view; that would have helped. That said, thank you for sharing!

Reactions: Raybro and rrmccabe
Looks like a good clip to add to a wedding edit. I don't think DodgeP understands that this type of shot is used in a full length video. If you shot this in 4K you can scale it larger and add a little slow rotation, side movement and scale it back to 100% just as you pull back up again. That would give it a little more cool factor. Also correct the fisheye, shots with lots of straight lines such as sidewalks, buildings etc look much better when you correct the fisheye. Gopro studio can fix it and in Adobe Premiere you add a "lens distortion" with -26 as the setting.

Overall it's a great shot that can be useful. And I agree with you about not adding noise, distraction or taking the chance of having a drone hovering in the wedding photos or video. There is no faster way to ruin the moment than having a drone crash or have it getting all the attention from the bride and groom. If its down low peoples attention will be on the drone and you will have a great beautful moment of people looking away from the bride/groom watching the drone out of fear of being hit or watching the drone.

Hopefully DodgeP will keep his negative non-useful feedback to himself in the future.

I am glad you moved solo, talk about steady man that's great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44