Solex vs Mission Maker?

Reaction score
Solo newbie here. Correct me if I'm wrong... Is this how it works? If you use Mission Maker to create your waypoints mission, you then need to run the 3DR Solo app to execute the mission. But with Solex, you don't have to use the 3DR Solo app, it does it all. That right?
Also, you need to have internet access while making your mission, but once you're finished....you disconnect from the internet and switch to Sololink Wifi to connect to your drone. Even though you have disconnected from the net, the map that you had brought up still works because the mission has been saved and uploaded to the drone. Correct? But what if you want to go a little further than what the map was showing when you were connected to the net? Do you have to do the process all over again because you need the internet to see a wider map area? So this is all about planning mission, mapping them, uploading to the drone, then cutting off from the net while you connect to the drone to execute the missions.
And how many missions can you have uploaded to Solo at same time?
Is the reason why people seem to prefer Solex because it has all the features of the original 3DR Solo app and much more, so why bother use the original app? Is it also because whoever develops Solex still does, where as 3DR does not with the original app?

Thanks in advance!

I personally stopped using Mission Planner because it tracks everything thing you are doing including all your flights. If you can get ahold of old tower app which didn’t track you you are better off imo. That’s all Mission Planner is is a remake of tower app with added abilities to track you locations and flights. I had Tower App APK but unfortunately lost because I had to hard reset my tablet. Now I wish I’d backed the tower app apk up.

Solo newbie here. Correct me if I'm wrong... Is this how it works? If you use Mission Maker to create your waypoints mission, you then need to run the 3DR Solo app to execute the mission. But with Solex, you don't have to use the 3DR Solo app, it does it all. That right?
Also, you need to have internet access while making your mission, but once you're finished....you disconnect from the internet and switch to Sololink Wifi to connect to your drone. Even though you have disconnected from the net, the map that you had brought up still works because the mission has been saved and uploaded to the drone. Correct? But what if you want to go a little further than what the map was showing when you were connected to the net? Do you have to do the process all over again because you need the internet to see a wider map area? So this is all about planning mission, mapping them, uploading to the drone, then cutting off from the net while you connect to the drone to execute the missions.
And how many missions can you have uploaded to Solo at same time?
Is the reason why people seem to prefer Solex because it has all the features of the original 3DR Solo app and much more, so why bother use the original app? Is it also because whoever develops Solex still does, where as 3DR does not with the original app?

Thanks in advance!

I'm the guy who works on Solex. I'm still actively developing it, and I can answer any questions you might have.

With Solex, you can create missions and upload them to the vehicle, and run them. In that respect it does similar things to Mission Planner. There are a few extra things in it that Mission Planner and other apps probably don't have.

One is special mission item types like Tower Scan (for doing essentially "vertical surveys" of cylindrical objects), Wall Scan (vertical surveys of flat objects), Grids (similar to surveys, but allowing you to specify exactly how far each survey run is from the adjacent ones) and support for planes and rovers too.

Another thing it has is support for SolexCC, a companion computer software that runs on a vehicle so equipped and allows the upload of apps on the vehicle itself (smart shots, sensor interfaces, etc). I'm currently working on that and if you're in the Solo Mod Club or Solex Users groups on Facebook, you'll see occasional videos of a large non-Solo copter learning new tricks like Smart Shots courtesy of all that.

I'm working on multi-battery missions right now, which I think is going to be pretty cool for large surveys. I've been testing it this weekend. With that, you'll be able to do large missions that one battery can't cover. The idea is that you launch a huge mission (I've been testing one that covers 300 acres, haha), enable "Return to Me" in Solex, pack up (keep Solex running of course), move to a new location, and wait for the battery to get low. When the vehicle RTLs for a battery failsafe (or you initiate RTL because of battery concerns), it returns to your new location, lands and disarms. You power off, swap batteries, power on, Solex reconnects, and you can upload a new "sub mission" consisting of the rest of the initial mission. Repeat this process until you're out of fresh batteries, or the mission completes. I don't think Mission Planner does that, but I don't know for sure. I don't use MP very much since it's a Windows program and I don't have any Windows machines around here.

If you're just looking to fly missions with your Solo, any one of these apps will do. Mission Planner, Tower, Mission Maker (which I think is a re-branded Tower). Solex is sort of a creative outlet for me, so it has a lot of stuff in there that I think would be cool to use on drones in general, and not everyone has a user for those things.

I'm the guy who works on Solex. I'm still actively developing it, and I can answer any questions you might have.

With Solex, you can create missions and upload them to the vehicle, and run them. In that respect it does similar things to Mission Planner. There are a few extra things in it that Mission Planner and other apps probably don't have.

One is special mission item types like Tower Scan (for doing essentially "vertical surveys" of cylindrical objects), Wall Scan (vertical surveys of flat objects), Grids (similar to surveys, but allowing you to specify exactly how far each survey run is from the adjacent ones) and support for planes and rovers too.

Another thing it has is support for SolexCC, a companion computer software that runs on a vehicle so equipped and allows the upload of apps on the vehicle itself (smart shots, sensor interfaces, etc). I'm currently working on that and if you're in the Solo Mod Club or Solex Users groups on Facebook, you'll see occasional videos of a large non-Solo copter learning new tricks like Smart Shots courtesy of all that.

I'm working on multi-battery missions right now, which I think is going to be pretty cool for large surveys. I've been testing it this weekend. With that, you'll be able to do large missions that one battery can't cover. The idea is that you launch a huge mission (I've been testing one that covers 300 acres, haha), enable "Return to Me" in Solex, pack up (keep Solex running of course), move to a new location, and wait for the battery to get low. When the vehicle RTLs for a battery failsafe (or you initiate RTL because of battery concerns), it returns to your new location, lands and disarms. You power off, swap batteries, power on, Solex reconnects, and you can upload a new "sub mission" consisting of the rest of the initial mission. Repeat this process until you're out of fresh batteries, or the mission completes. I don't think Mission Planner does that, but I don't know for sure. I don't use MP very much since it's a Windows program and I don't have any Windows machines around here.

If you're just looking to fly missions with your Solo, any one of these apps will do. Mission Planner, Tower, Mission Maker (which I think is a re-branded Tower). Solex is sort of a creative outlet for me, so it has a lot of stuff in there that I think would be cool to use on drones in general, and not everyone has a user for those things.

Just in case no one has thanked you lately....THANK YOU Kelly!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc