So I crashed my Solo today....twice....can't tell if it's fine as it still flies...

Reaction score
As the title says, I crashed my Solo today.

First one wasn't a major crash. Basically one of the legs hit the curb, knocking it right over. The Solo app immediately said "crash detected" and cut power to the blades. When it flipped, it ended up hitting a bush and then landed in the mulch. I was flying through the breezeway to my church and had to turn about 45 degrees to follow the middle of the road. What's odd is that as as I was leaving the breezeway, the Solo kept drifting instead of going forward in the direction I was turning. I rewatched the footage and noticed that the drone had also descended enough to the point where it could hit the curb. I guess this reduced the impact of the crash. Anyhow, it's almost as if it automatically switched from Fly Mode to Fly Manual Mode.

The Solo seemed fine so I tried to retake the shot. For some reason, I was having trouble controlling the Solo in that particular spot again (I made sure to be extra careful this time) so I decided to land it. I usually just use the Fly button to land. What happened was odd though. At around 5 feet, the quad started to drift again towards the bushes on the right. I had to immediately pull it the opposite way for it to land safely in the street. As I slowly pulled it to the left, the whole entire quad started to lift on the right side, basically just sitting on it's left two legs. Then it landed. I figured I may have thrown the calibration off with the previous hit, so I recalibrated.

I decided to fly it again, this time inside the sanctuary at my church. Flight seemed fine. I had to fly entirely in manual but it was okay. The AC was off so I figured I wouldn't have to deal with any currents. It was time for me to switch batteries, so I landed it. After switching batteries, I took off again. Except this time, it took off at about 1 foot and immediately went to the left and hit a chair, breaking off the ends of one of the props. This also flipped over immediately. For some reason, the app didnt detect a crash, I just had to kill the motors.

I took off all the props and restarted everything. The motors all seem to be functioning fine. Exterior wise, everything looks fine. But I'm wondering if it's possible something else is broken.

Is it possible to see if any software issues were part of it? I fly using my iPhone. Thanks in advance for any help!

Submit the logs. It sends the last 3 flights, so do it now so that they can see all three...

When I hear breezeway I thing outdoor hall way. Which would bring to mind loss of GPS lock. So it would automatically switch to fly manual. Which would explain the drift. As far as loss of altitude to bring you close to the curb, I'm a tad heavy handed and when I yaw, I tend to push slightly up or down on the stick, causing the craft to gain or lose altitude. Something like that may have happen to you.

definately a loss of gps. Mine did the same thing to me last weekend, except i tried to pause to stop my solo from drifting, but it still kept drifting and hit a tree. The controller stored your last 10 flight logs. Send in a support ticket and they should be able to determine what exactly happened.

Hey all,

I sent the logs and a video. Here's the video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm inclined to think what Troiano said is what happened with the first crash. Not entirely sure about the second crash though really they say not to fly inside so that one is really entirely on me.

Anyhow, the response was that everything was normal. Except I didnt understand this statement:
"When the Solo took off, I could see that the magnetic field went down, but when the Pilot gave a roll right command and Solo started following it. As soon as the Solo went near the chair, the magnetic field went up again and finally crashed."

Not sure what he's talking about in regards to magnetic field.

I flew it again this weekend though and everything seemed to be fine outside of the landing (seemed to descend really quick for some reason). I'll update with the response.

Thanks guys!

btw, for future reference, the controller saves a lot more than 10 flight logs. You can access it via FTP on your computer and get all the logs. Didn't know that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig